The Anime Thread

Ruki

Amagami SS was ... a bit different than I expected. Japan has some strange fetishes.

Also, it slightly depressed me when I realized that no matter which girl the paper-thin, uninteresting protagonist chose, there were like 5 girls getting their feelings hurt or missing out on something that would have changed them for the better.

(It was also total bullshit that the dopey childhood friend didn't actually end up with him in her arc. Though she was probably too good for him anyway, what with him being a dick to her the entire time.)

Give me something else. Something fun.

Amagami SS was ... a bit different than I expected. Japan has some strange fetishes.

Also, it slightly depressed me when I realized that no matter which girl the paper-thin, uninteresting protagonist chose, there were like 5 girls getting their feelings hurt or missing out on something that would have changed them for the better.

(It was also total bullshit that the dopey childhood friend didn't actually end up with him in her arc. Though she was probably too good for him anyway, what with him being a dick to her the entire time.)

Give me something else. Something fun.

Tiger and Bunny! Join us in watching it!

Comedic and Romance-y, eh? School Rumble comes to mind.

Also, give Outlaw Star a shot; while's it up there with Cowboy Bebop, I enjoyed it more.

In other news, finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and The Disappearance today. I enjoyed them both a lot. Going to focus more on Tiger and Bunny in my free time. After that, maybe something I've been neglecting.

:crying:

(Seen School Rumble. May try out Outlaw Star.)

Also, the fuck was Excel Saga? I couldn't get through the first episode due to that annoying screaming Excel is constantly doing. Her voice hurts my ears. That being said, what I saw was pretty funny. I may have to give it another shot.

Kodocha if you haven't seen it.Amazingly funny and sweet at the same time. I'd watch it subbed from the start since I'm pretty sure all of the anime hasn't been translated. I'm not sure if the whole thing is as good as the manga though either since I couldn't switch to watching subs because I was so used to the english voice actors by the time I got through all the translated episodes..

Edited by Kirkland

:crying:

(Seen School Rumble. May try out Outlaw Star.)

Also, the fuck was Excel Saga? I couldn't get through the first episode due to that annoying screaming Excel is constantly doing. Her voice hurts my ears. That being said, what I saw was pretty funny. I may have to give it another shot.

Okay. Sensei and Ninomiya-kun :shifty:

Reference to Minami-ke

If you're looking for something quaint and slice of life-y, then Usagi Drop is sweet and lovely (in a very gay kinda way too). About a 30-something year old who takes in a 7 year old girl. It's well worth watching.

Also I'm about half way through Steins;Gate, and despite being totally baffled it's really, really good and well worth watching. No mecha either, unless you count a time-machine microwave, but that's it.

Both have just finished in Japan so you can get them all subbed.

Yeah, I've heard of Usagi Drop and it's on my list of stuff to try. As is Steins;Gate (well, I watched one episode but things got in the way). Will likely probably give both a shot pretty soon.

Two episodes into The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimya now. Perversely looking forward to the Endless Eight, just to see if it lives up to the hype.

I've spent about five minutes trying to explain what it is I like and why I like it. I guess it's essentially a seting thing. It needs to be set somewhere relateable for me to get into it. I prefer something set in the real world, even if it's a modified or exaggerated real world (like Haruhi, Paranoia Agent ect), to something in the future or an apocolyptic wasteland future. Supernatural/otherworldly stuff is good, when it's connected to a person or situation in reality. Like, if it represents what a person's repressing (Paranoia Agent) or a feeling or situation (the grief experienced by all the characters in AnoHana). Oddly specific, but yeah, that's the rule. There are always exceptions.

May buy Fate/Stay tomorrow after payday when I pick up Gundam 00. That said I have quite a lot to watch at the minute so I'm trying to juggle a lot, even though most of it is just refreshing what I've already watched. About half way through Gurren Lagann, a few more episodes of Code Geass R1 to watch (they need to release R2 on Anime Legends asap), and then half way through Steins Gate (shits about to go down - I can feel it!) and then Gunslinger Girl stuff to catch up on, and then I'm going to give the 2nd series a go even though the anime is different and that was it's main drawing point.

Not much time over the next few days though, so going to be a squash.

Ouran is awesome. I love the finale.

Finished season 2 of Haruhi. I made it through five or six episodes of the Endless Eight before saying fuck it and fast-forwarding until something happened. I liked the background stuff and the use of 8s and stuff. But I did spend most of the time screaming "Do something! Fucking do something! At least try to get out of the loop!".

Also, may be the only time in history where homework made a difference. I was expecting him to need to win the cicada contest or something to get out of it.

The Sigh episodes were decent, but didn't they already do something like that in the first season (episode 00)?

The movie is awesome. I loved it. Kinda made me want to read the manga just to see where it goes.

I'm going to have to start either Darker Than Black or Fate/Stay night right away.

Edited by StevenRichardsRules

Fate! Darker Than Black tends to drag at times.

And Haruhi was good. Except for Endless Eight. It really made me question some things, like

Why Kyon wouldn't have Nagato tell them right off the bat they're in a timeloop. Certainly after going through it 15,000 times, he would've thought of it

:shifty: