The Anime Thread

Ruki

Majimoji Rurumo is funny, but the other highlights for me have been Jinsei, Sabagebu, and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun.

None of you are watching Ao Haru Ride.

Best romance since Kimi no Todoke!

I'd like Zankyou no Terror more if it didn't suffer from ultra-predictability. "Oh that game you're playing has a dragon?" *pause* "QUICK ROBIN TO THE BATMOBILE!" Come on, what's that shit?

I thought Sidonia was pretty good but the CG was a little off-putting/hard to get used to and none of the characters stuck with me at all. I still need to finish it but not in a rush. Last season's highlight for me was NGNL, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, or Ping Pong.

Trying to broaden my horizons, but need some help.

So, if you had to recommend three animes, the three animes you personally enjoyed the most over your anime watching career, what would the three be? Add the whys if you want to as well.

Well.

1) Outlaw Star -- My first anime. It's got a great story, mostly episodic format after the initial arc, good characters, I found it overall more engaging then Trigun.

2) Azumanga Daioh -- This is great stuff. Sure, it may seem girlish, but it's not what I'd call shojou by any means. It's a cute story, heartwarming at times, but absolutely fantastic with the range of characters.

3) Great Teacher Onizuka -- This also has a pretty good depth of characters, and while Onizuka isn't exactly the guy from Stand and Deliver, it's still pretty great with the gags, the touching moments, and the completely fucking insane and awesome moments. It's one of the best shows I've seen.

1) Mushishi - Animation at its highest artistic potential, plain and simple. Easy watching for a relaxing night. Not a show to marathon through, but take each episode and enjoy every minute of it.

2) Cowboy Bebop - Fun, frantic action and storytelling. Episodic, but mostly highlights. Great setting, unforgettable characters, and one of the best soundtracks ever produced. There is an overarching plot and it's beautiful, but each episode in and of itself is enough.

3) Serial Experiments Lain - One of the most accessible anime to non-anime fans. Just about everyone loves Lain. This is the pinnacle of psychological storytelling at a time when technology was taking over people's lives (1998) and we weren't sure what the future held. Watching it in 2014 makes the show at times seem prophetic.

Those are the shows I'd most recommend to someone who hasn't watched a ton of anime. There are shows for people who have watched anime and are more aware of its tropes, stereotypes, and also Japanese culture (Evangelion, Madoka Magica, and Gurren Lagann for example) and also shows for people who just want a great sci-fi story (Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes) or great action-packed fight fest (DragonBall Z, Fist of the North Star). There are numerous genres within anime that each have their own best, but the three I mentioned I feel more represent anime as a whole to an outside audience better than anything else I have seen.

Trying to broaden my horizons, but need some help.

So, if you had to recommend three animes, the three animes you personally enjoyed the most over your anime watching career, what would the three be? Add the whys if you want to as well.

1) Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It has everything you could ever want....comedy, action, emotions. I am an emotionless robot of a person, and yet this show has made me tear up once or twice. Best anime ever.

2) Gurren Lagaan. Again, comedy, action, emotions. But then you pump everything up to the extreme, and you get this. Over the top giant robot fights. Love it!

3) Cowboy Bebop and/or Kill La Kill. I need to rewatch both, but they are both great for their own reasons. Both have amazing stories and fantastic characters, but one is a little bit more over the top than the other.

Honorable mentions: Mirai Nikki, Kokoro Connect, Durarara, Code Geass, Psycho Pass

And I'm going to echo the love for Welcome to the NHK and Code Geass :shifty:

And while I'm at it, others to consider would be Steins;Gate and Death Note.

Am 'acquiring' Mushishi, Welcome to the NHK, that teacher one and a couple of others based on recommendations. Will add some more to the list when I get home.

Already tried some Death Note and Mirai Nikki in the past - both enjoyable.

So, the upcoming adaptation of Fate/Stay Night is confirmed to be Unlimited Blade Works.

I'm a little 'eh' about it. On one hand, "YAY, FATE!". On the other hand, they already made UBW as a film; granted, each of the three routes are pretty complicated, and a movie won't do any of them justice in terms of overall plot, but I was kind of hoping for Heaven's Feel.

Speaking of which, ufotable confirms Heaven's Feel film.

Wonder how much from the source will be seen :shifty:

(In the VN, at least the PC version, Heaven's Feel has a lot more sex scenes than Fate or UBW :shifty: )

I always say that there is a show that I will watch (I haven't watched a new anime since KLK).............but....PSYCHO PASS 2!!!!

Also, Inou-Battle Wa Nichijoukei No Naka De (holy fuck that name....what's the English version?) sounds amazing. And it's by Trigger, so I will have to check it out. Trinity Seven sounds like it could be fun, but will likely be filled with fan service.

Anyone watch Log Horizon? I like the whole 'online game' series...just wondering if it's any good.