The Anime Thread

Ruki

Some of both. I started watching the sub on Netflix, got 4 episodes in, and then I went and hung out with one of my friends who owns the blu-ray and watched 5-10 dubbed.

EDIT: Binged on the last 15 episodes, finished it.

Did not expect Annie to be the female Titan. I actually liked her too. I also liked Petra and Erd and most of Levi's squad, and look what happened to them. <_<

Also, definitely thought that the female Titan squished Reiner and was pleasantly surprised when he burst out of her hand.

And I really want 3D maneuvering gear or whatever it's called. Looks super dangerous, but super awesome.

Gave the first episode a shot last night, it was pretty good. Visually it's solid, and whilst it's largely a very monochrome show, it uses it to good effect. Tried both English and Japanese dubbing and the Japanese one felt far more right (generally I watch English if available because I'm lazy). The story reminds me a lot of FF: Spirits Within, which isn't as bad a thing as I'd have thought it would be (my issue with that film is more my usual FF complaint of "it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy"). As far as the episode itself goes (minor spoiler)...

How the fuck is Nagate not dead? That dude can take some serious punishment >_>

I meant to watch it as it was airing but never got around to it. Kind of disregarded it early because of the *barf* CG I saw in the trailer. Might marathon it one day but I'm gonna be super busy with the Summer season. I gotta give them credit for trying to promote this show through new ways, nobody watched it during Spring season. Might be more successful with western fans, after all it's been called Attack on Titan in space.

Also back from Anime Expo. It was madness, far too many people than the convention center can handle. No idea why they don't cap the attendance. I didn't bother with the Sailor Moon or Zankyou no Terror premieres, the lines for those filled up far too early to bother. Cons are more enjoyable the less panels you wait for anyway and the more you walk around and meet people anyway.

Here's the list of airing days for Summer anime. Start dates are included.

Monday
Starting July 7
Akame ga Kill!
DRAMAtical Murder
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Fran♥cesca
Himegoto
Yami Shibai 2nd Season
Starting July 14
Minarai Diva
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
Tuesday
Starting July 8
Ao Haru Ride
Hanayamata
Re:␣Hamatora
Wednesday
Starting July 2
Bakumatsu Rock
Starting July 9
Majimoji Rurumo
Momo Kyun Sword
Yama no Susume: Second Season
Starting August 16
Hanamonogatari
Thursday
Starting July 3
Free!: Eternal Summer
Glasslip
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen
Starting July 10
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
Friday
Starting July 4
Rail Wars!
Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita.
Tokyo Ghoul
Shin Strange+
Ai Mai Mi: Mousou Catastrophe
Starting July 11
Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus
Persona 4 The Golden Animation
Zankyou no Terror
Saturday
Starting June 28
Sabagebu!
Starting July 5
Pri Para
Sword Art Online II
Starting July 12
Nobunaga Concerto
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
Tokyo ESP
Sunday
Starting July 6
Aldnoah.Zero
Barakamon
Jinsei
Sengoku Basara: Judge End
Space☆Dandy 2nd Season
Maido! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku
Mobile Suit Gundam-san

Watching the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA.

I'm not a fan of some of the animation. It's kind of weird how Knightmares and vehicles are animated in an almost CG style, makes them look jarringly out of place with the rest of the show. The Alexander Knightmare units are kind of cool though.

Also, I went in knowing this was set between season 1 and 2 of the series, but I was not expecting that little cameo from Suzaku and Lelouch at all. Happens about 70 or 80 minutes into the OVA, probably not even a minute long scene. Still neat and unexpected, though.

EDIT: Woah wait wtf. It's not Lelouch. It's some guy named Julius Kingsley who looks and speaks exactly like him.

The new DBZ movie was dubbed and is getting a theatrical release in the states.