The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm sure everyone loved Mario 2 at the time but it's funny to see it mentioned now and people are like 'Fuck that shit, worst Mario game ever. It's not even really a Mario game.'

Most of my cousins thought Mario 2 was stupid and that it was weird that I liked it when I was like five. Mario 3 was out at the time, I don't know how it was received before 3 but even in the early 90s it was the bastard child nobody liked.

I always liked that it let you play as more characters, because that was pretty much my idea of what constituted a good game when I was five.

I think I only really played it a couple of times, though.

Alright so - the lucky tickets in New Leaf? Pretty much the best thing ever.

First Day: Yellow Pikmin Hat (Meh)

Second Day: Wario Nose & Mustache (Awesome!)

Third Day: Fire Block that spins around like the hazard from Bowser's castle (AWESOME!)

Fourth Day: Majora's Mask (OH FUCK YEAH)

Ordinances are also pretty nifty. Since I mostly play in bed at night or after work, the night owl one works PERFECT.

Also of note - Rolf will NOT stop talking about Sousa's visit and continues to request I call him papa while trying to get me to work out with him.

• Like 1

That's because Rolf is the shit and he and I totally bonded.

It's a shame Beardo moved into West Hog because Rolf is now second place tops. Beardo gives me all kinds of shit and also is a bear with sideburns and a handlebar mustache.

I had a bird named Chirp move in.. meh. And the next person coming in is named Renee. I hope there's a Reginald this time around, aka a badass bald eagle. How can I make people move out too? Rolf is shit talking about that weird rabbit thing and the Mega Powers known as Rolf and I are going to clean out the trash in this town.

West Hog residents are Beardo, a very pissed off bear with a 5 o'clock shadow named Curt, a snooty ostrich named Queenie, a hungry koala name Ozzie who now calls everyone "you rogue" thanks to me, an aardvark named Annalisa who can fuck right off because she's never around if I need to talk to her, and a pig named Peggy who's fine I guess. We're getting Rudy tomorrow. Rudy is a cat of some kind.

• Like 1

I have a penguin named Roald who loves working out, a cat named Moe who buys my stuff that I sell on the fleamarket for more than Reese would have offered me (bought an emerald for 3,000 bells he did) so he's cool, another cat named Kitty moved in yesterday, Apollo the bald eagle who I love, Gladys the ostrich, and Patty the cow. Lopez the deer moved in today.

I rather like my villagers. The fortune cookies are nice, but the past two days I've gotten crap. I have a Mario block and a Wii fit board as winners, and a giraffe wall ruler and some flower wall as losers.

The island is quite fun. Got some nice ocean stuff out there, and I have bananas and lychees growing. I got mangos and coconuts from a friend, so I'll grow those at some point. My apples and cherries finally came in as well. Really need that axe so that I can take some trees down, though. Far too much that impede any plans for building a fountain in town.

Get married and have children, that's what I did.

Seriously, my wife comes home from work and sits on there fishing, then she gives all the money she earns to my public works programs, it's fantastic.

• Like 1

The island is great for fishing. After spending some time there, I just sold it all for a little over 100,000 bells. Needles to say, I got my first bridge payed off and got an ordinance in (Early Bird for now).

I just met the pellican who washed up on the beach and answered his trivia question right... yay!

When does the boat show up to take me to the island? And what is that box that is always mysteriously empty on the pier?

Also - I miss the guard dogs. :(

I think once you reach 100% approval rating for the town. Basically just clean up weeds, water flowers, talk to villagers, send letters to them and such. Once you do, the next day (might be next time you continue the game, but I don't know) Tortimer will show up during the loading screen and tell you to visit the dock. Then the next day the boat will start showing up.

The basket is just the shared item box between your town and the island. Anything you want to take back with you from the island has to be put in a box on it, and once you return home the stuff will be in that basket.

Curt will now not stop talking about how Apsham is an inexperienced rookie mayor, and he gave me two shirts and a bed in the course of our three-minute conversation because Curt is awesome.