The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I think I've probably had my allotted amount of EWB wisdom recently, but as you might have seen earlier in the thread I've bought a Switch for the kids for Christmas. I'm looking to get a Pokemon game for them, and was looking at Sword or Shield, but then saw that Let's Go Eevee (and Pikachu) feature co-op multiplayer, the old animated setting, plus Eevee is my daughters favourite anyway. Is there any sensible reason for me to not just get that?

Cross posted from the Pokemon thread for greater traffic...

1 hour ago, Colly said:

I think I've probably had my allotted amount of EWB wisdom recently, but as you might have seen earlier in the thread I've bought a Switch for the kids for Christmas. I'm looking to get a Pokemon game for them, and was looking at Sword or Shield, but then saw that Let's Go Eevee (and Pikachu) feature co-op multiplayer, the old animated setting, plus Eevee is my daughters favourite anyway. Is there any sensible reason for me to not just get that?

Cross posted from the Pokemon thread for greater traffic...

How old are the kiddos? 

• 4 weeks later...

Game Awards just did the reveal for the new Smash character. BAH GAWD I KNOW THAT MUSIC - IS IT - IT CAN'T BE -

Spoiler

Sephiroth!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, J-Merry-shin said:

Switch Owners: are there any must have accessories for the console?

The only thing I picked up that I use regularly is the Pro Controller. Some games are fine with the joycons, but the Pro Controller has been fantastic for everything where I don't feel like the Joycons work comfortably.

• Thanks 1

Also in the realm of controllers, the Hori Split Pad Pro is neat if you do a lot of handheld mode, essentially they replace the joycons but are more in a form factor of a Pro or Xbox controller. Good if you have big hands and want to play handheld rather than have it propped up and use a wireless controller. It's strictly a handheld thing so you can't use put them together to make another wireless controller like you can with the joycons. They lack alot of other functions as well like Amibo, motion support and rumble.

Kinda makes the whole portability side of things a little tricky too, but I think people bought this one DJ case thing for it that fits the Switch with the pads connected. Then I think someone just started making their own knock off of that and marketed it specifically for the Split Pad.

• Thanks 1

Everyone. I was chatting with my mom about games. The Switch was the first console she really has played since the SNES. 

I knew she had BOTW in July because I bought her the strategy guide for it. I asked her if she beat it. She looked defeated and said no. I was going to give her tips on Ganon. Oh she beat Ganon alright. She said she had not beat it cause she had 4 shrines and 100 korok seeds left to collect. She was asking me for more games to play because Mario Odyssey was too easy. I lent her Fire Emblem Three Houses and bought her Immortals Fenix Rising. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Colly said:

Is Nintendo Online essential or can I get away without it? I'm very unlikely to play anything online, but do you get anything free like you do with PS+? 

Tetris 99 and Super Mario Brothers 35 are both a ton of fun, and are great as quick play games when you don't necessarily have a lot of time to play something.

You also get access to a whole bunch of NES and SNES games with the membership. No free Switch games like on Playstation or Xbox, but there is definitely value there.

• Thanks 1