The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

15 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Super Mario 64 is one of my all time favorite games. I'm definitely going to have to try and get my hands on that. Was there a price-point revealed for 3D All-Stars?

It's full price. Given the limited release window, I doubt it'll go down either.

14 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

It's full price. Given the limited release window, I doubt it'll go down either.

Well, that sucks. I mean, it's worth it for sure... but if I could snag the individual games at lesser prices, I'd be even happier.

I think I've gone from "oh, I'm definitely buying that" to "eh, I'm okay" the more I've thought about it. Mario 64 is a game I constantly delude myself into thinking I actually want to play through but every time I have the opportunity I never do it. I don't need Sunshine, had a fun time watching Giant Bomb play through the whole thing a couple years ago and that's enough engagement with it for me. I do want Mario Galaxy, as the Galaxy games are the only major Mario games that I've never touched, but I don't think I can justify $60 for a port of that, a port of a game I'll probably spend an hour and a half in and then drop, and a game I probably won't touch at all.

Gonna play the shit out of the Mario 35 battle royale thing, though.

Game and Watch - Looks like a neat little device, it's nice they added The Lost Levels as well but then that kinda makes me wish they could have just put all the original NES titles on there. It's nice that they've made us aware up front that's a limited production but can't help but feel that will add to the potential scalping. Some of these thoughts might become relevant again later on...

I'd be interested in it as a novelty but only if the price were right, can't imagine they'll be cheap though. I suppose this might be an interesting window into the potential Gameboy Classic as I would imagine the two would share a similarly sized screen and wouldn't have that same level of premium quality that say a 3DS would have, which is the obvious comparison.

3D World/All Stars - The obvious thing is to point to yet another Wii U port and roll ones eyes but, personally, I never had the Wii U so I'm all for getting the chance to play it. I have 3D Land but this always looked to have much more to it with the cat suits and what not.

Similar thoughts for the collection, I've dabbled a little bit on Mario 64 on the DS version but that's about it so having that, Sunshine and Galaxy available is great, especially given the lavish praise Galaxy had at the time. I think Sunshine was fairly averagely received at the time and I dunno if it's up there in terms of the top Mario games of all time, 64 I know was loved at the time but whether or not it's held up is another matter. It sounds like they've put some measure of work into it as well, with the graphics and joy-con support on Galaxy. I remember people being annoyed that the All-Stars re-relased on the Wii was basically just a $40/50/60 whatever ROM on a disc. The obvious question as well is why no Galaxy 2? I could see if they wanted to separate things out, like maybe 64/Sunsine as a pack and the two Galaxy games together but it would be a bit odd to release Galaxy 2 on it's own separate from this. And why a time limited release? Presumably there's no licening issue since they're all first party releases. Strange.

Mario 35 - Really interesting to see them expand the 'battle royale' type gameplay into other genres between this and obviously Tetris 99. I guess it's to tie in with the anniversary but 35 seems an odd number after seeing Tetris 99 and all the other BR type games that are normally about 100 players. I wanna say Fall Guys is less though? When I first saw this I was reminded of, I think someone made like a flash type game that was a BR Mario where everyone was playing on the same screen basically. I can't remember if that allowed direct interaction though, that'd be an interesting way to do it as well. Kinda like when you just act like a dickbag in New Super Mario Bros. I wonder what the strategy is here, since you defeat enemies to send them to other players so presumably you want to play the game more slowly in order to defeat as many enemies as possible? Would there be any benefit to getting to the end first or is it more of a mix of the two you need to achieve? And this one too will only be around for like 6~ months? Bummer, perhaps moreso with this given the nature of it meaning it be will basically be lost to time at that point since it's not like someone will be able to rig up some private server of it. At least with the All-Stars collection you'll still have your physical or digital copy to play at your leisure since it's just a single player game(s).

MK Home Circuit - This looks really awesome, adds this immersive quality to standard RC cars to have you kinda behind the wheel of it. Adding the weapons and stuff is cool as well, even if it just immobolises the other cars. Would've been neat if they had them spin out or something but I guess that would risk damaging them if they crashed into a wall or something. Having your own tracks setup around the room is neat, I like the idea of ducking under a table or between some chairs. I guess the countdown is on before the first complaint of little Billy running his MArio Kart into the coffee table and knocking off Mum's priceless vase or Granddad's urn. Presuambly this will be a nice money spinner for them as well since they'll be able to sell different character karts, extra track pieces and decorations, even if you could just ghetto up your own stuff yourself or make it to a decent degree if you're artistically minded. That'll be cool to see as well, the kinda stuff people will make using all this. I wonder if this will be online multiplayer in some capacity, whether that be as just another character on the screen or if you'd need a spare physical cart for each player and the game could automate the movement based on the remote players input? That would probably be a bit too farfetched mind you with the lag and all.

I think the latter 2 stand out the most for being relatively fresh ideas whereas the others are just 'play these old games (yet) again!' but, again, personally speaking it's still good to have the option.

• Like 1

One thing I do love about Nintendo is they're not "we're working on re-releases of Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, here's a pre-alpha footage trailer, expect it sometime between January and December 2022!!", they're "we've made re-releases of Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, it's available in less than three weeks. That is all."

• Like 2

Just now, Chris2K said:

One thing I do love about Nintendo is they're not "we're working on re-releases of Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, here's a pre-alpha footage trailer, expect it sometime between January and December 2022!!", they're "we've made re-releases of Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, it's available in less than three weeks. That is all."

I agree there. Nintendo only tend to announce a select few games years in advance, and they're usually open about why they might be delayed. It's a big reason why I enjoy Nintendo Direct shows more than any other. There's always something to look forward to in the short term.

1 hour ago, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

I expect them to be released individually, so this makes a lot of sense.

I wonder how Galaxy is gonna be played on Switch Lite.

According to Nintendo, the pointer will be controlled with touchscreen functionality in handheld mode.

What I'm wondering about is how they will replicate the Gamecube triggers for the water spray in Sunshine. They were pressure sensitive so you could do short/medium/long range spurts and sometimes a good strategy was to quickly switch between them to cover as much space in front of you without moving the nozzle head.