The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

11 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Odyssey?

No, what I meant was the Mario Brothers U Deluxe i think? Sorry, I'm still new to the Switch. 

I dig it though, i really have enjoyed revisiting titles I probably haven't played since I was little (Mario, Mega Man, Legend of Zelda). 

Oh, ya'll think Animal Crossing would be good for a four year old? 

There's a fair bit of reading to understand what you need to do in order to push the game forward, but a lot of it is pretty straightforward and there isn't really a way to play the game "wrong" per say. At the start of the game, some of the features are locked behind needing to sell 'X' amount of things or build a certain structure.

The first person who makes the island becomes the island representative and they're the one who is going to push most of that forward. Anyone else who uses their account on the island can contribute to that but they're limited in a sense as to what they're able to do.

Once you reach a certain point it's pretty much all about making your own goals, etc. If they aren't into collecting every bug, fish and fossil, participating in all the events and moving stuff around on the island it could get pretty aimless most likely.

Nintendo is the greatest.

I was at the cottage with the kids and they were playing my NES Classic. They would play a game, it would invariably be super hard and they would ask me to play a level to show them how to play and they would ask for the controller back.

I look up and they are playing The Legend of Zelda. I chuckle and tell the kids it's to hard. They ask me to play it. An hour later, the kids are still obsessed but I have to make dinner. An hour later, the kids come down with my hubby and he became obsessed with Legend of Zelda.

We get back home yesterday. My daughter realizes that she can play it on her 3DS. She said she couldn't stop thinking about it and went on the eshop and asked permission. So I bought it for her.

My hubby is glued to the Nintendo Classic. But I want to play The Legend of Zelda. Well I subscribe to Nintendo online. So I download it and start playing. As we were going to bed my hubby realised our son is totally going to ask to play and how he will have to share the Nintendo Classic with him.

I remember that I bought it on my WiiU. So now all 4 of us can play the exact same game on 4 different consoles and the game is over 30 years old. 

What a game! 

• Like 8

Alrighty - so I'm one (well technically two) bosses in to the new Paper Mario and into the second area and I just wanna say...

Even if this game played every battle for me and the rest of my time was spent just running around, exploring the world, finding the MASSIVE number of hidden Toads and other collectibles... I would still think it was one of the best games of the year. It's so hilarious and creative, I'm just loving it! And at the same time, the battle system isn't... actually all that bad. It builds you up really well, and it does indeed provide you with accessories to make things easier on you. Without trying to sound cheesy, doing battles DOES provide experience in a sense because the more that you do the easier that they get.

(And also if the time limit on battles is annoying you, if you press the hint button to get something like "I dunno man, try an item" you can see the whole screen AND the timer pauses so... that's a thing).

Edited by apsham
  • Like 2

I'm enjoying it as well. I do see what people were saying beforehand about battles being meaningless with no reason to grind, but the lining up does add some novelty each time, and whilst it seems easy to begin with I've missed quite a few now. I'd like there to be an option for less time if possible. I've done a couple of boss battles so far and they are really fun, there have been people complaining about how long they take but I fail to see how a deeper battling experience can be considered a negative.

But yeah, the storyline and the humour are right on point and exactly what I was hoping for, with the extra fun of collectible hunting and random cameos. I went crazy for the completely out of left field...

Spoiler

Birdo appearance!

Just now, Chris2K said:

I'm enjoying it as well. I do see what people were saying beforehand about battles being meaningless with no reason to grind, but the lining up does add some novelty each time, and whilst it seems easy to begin with I've missed quite a few now. I'd like there to be an option for less time if possible. I've done a couple of boss battles so far and they are really fun, there have been people complaining about how long they take but I fail to see how a deeper battling experience can be considered a negative.

But yeah, the storyline and the humour are right on point and exactly what I was hoping for, with the extra fun of collectible hunting and random cameos. I went crazy for the completely out of left field...

Reveal hidden contents

Birdo appearance!

That was awesome, yeah! And I've chuckled at pretty much every Toad rescue in one way or another - they're either hidden super clever or say some insane shit - like the Toad who you had to pull out of the ground like the four others around him - only instead of his head showing it was his hand, to which he declared;

"They were the most scared of me, so they buried me the deepest."

I also like small touches like;

Spoiler

The different Goombas in the fall area matching the Super Mario World look a bit more.

Update on Legend of Zelda - beat it. 

Onto Links Awakening. Great game. Beautiful game. Why the fuck does it graphically stutter? 

On 23/07/2020 at 15:52, apsham said:

So uh - now that I've steamrolled through it... I feel like I can say this. Paper Mario and the Origami King has some god damn brutally sad story beats.

Spoiler

I just got to Olivia and the rock, followed by Bob-omb's rescue and I... was not ready for it. And I still haven't quite got over it.

Obviously I don't know what happens from this point on, but I would never have thought a Mario game would affect me that emotionally. It's also quite jarring... double spoiler!

Spoiler

How you have to "cure" Olivia's grief by making her laugh. I'm not sure that's a safe way to be teaching people how to deal with losing someone.

1 minute ago, Chris2K said:
  Hide contents

I just got to Olivia and the rock, followed by Bob-omb's rescue and I... was not ready for it. And I still haven't quite got over it.

Obviously I don't know what happens from this point on, but I would never have thought a Mario game would affect me that emotionally. It's also quite jarring... double spoiler!

Hide contents

How you have to "cure" Olivia's grief by making her laugh. I'm not sure that's a safe way to be teaching people how to deal with losing someone.

Spoiler

That was the first one, yeah. I mean there was always that weird thing of "hey, there are walking and talking bombs in this world who are just normal citizens except that absolutely do explode and they absolutely do die when they do" but I figured we'd part ways with him over doing that. Yikes.

On 21/07/2020 at 09:15, RPS said:

Update on Legend of Zelda - beat it. 

Onto Links Awakening. Great game. Beautiful game. Why the fuck does it graphically stutter? 

I am maybe midway through. I think my partner will like this game more than me. I have always thought that 2D Zelda games are interesting, but not groundbreaking. Link's Awakening is more interesting than normal, but the graphical stutters are very unexpected for a Zelda game. I love the story, the setting, the characters, the unconventional Zelda aspects of the game. But at the end of the day, it is still just the gameplay of a 2D Zelda game and I have played a half dozen of those. 

I am going to try to play through the first party Nintendo roster of games. Preference towards single player games. 

This is what I have owned and beaten: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Mario v. Rabbids, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Link's Awakening.

What should I go for next? Does Arms have a single player mode?  

I think Arms' single player mode is just a standard arcade mode. From what I know, it's very bare-bones.

As for other games, I don't think there are any other first-party titles I've played. Based on reputation, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Luigi's Mansion 3 and the Xenoblade Chronicles games might be good bets. Maybe you could try Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 if you're into that sort of thing.

• Like 1

I wonder if this means that we won't see a big Nintendo Direct for the rest of the year. Paper Mario was announced out of the blue a couple of months ago, and now Pikmin 3 has had a similarly abrupt reveal. Maybe there will just be a few Direct Minis dotted here and there. If the Mario remasters are real, they will probably be announced quite soon.

The leaks usually seem to be correct in terms of the dates on which Directs will fall, but they often don't predict the content accurately. A lot of people were convinced that last week's Direct would be the one that would have been Nintendo's E3 show, but it turned out to be a little one. I can see the August show being another Partner Direct, focusing on smaller third-party games.

I'm someone who really likes big blowout showcases for publishers, but I think both Covid and the new consoles have put paid to those this year. Presumably, Geoff Keighley's Gamescom event will have a few reveals, along with his Game Awards show, but I think they'll be less major than in previous years.