The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Oh boy.

After it came out that Yakuza: Like a Dragon saves from the PS4 won't transfer over to the PS5, it's now rumored that other upgradable games like Cyberpunk and AC: Valhalla (among others) will be the same way. Games that aren't getting an upgrade are fine, and presumably games like Elder Scrolls Online or Avengers will be fine too since they're live service games, but yeah, still.

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

That seems like a big misstep.

I mean I'm waiting for the PS5 version of anything I can but I can see a lot of people complaining about that.

Yeh I'm pretty much of the same view. It's shit but I'm gonna wait for ps5 versions of stuff where it's mainly single player. Got my backlog to smash through still on ps4 and will probably be doing that still during the early days of ps5

On 30/09/2020 at 08:42, Baddar said:

NFS: Payback and Vampyr are the October Plus games.

Need for Speed can be fun, but I haven't played Payback because I prefer couch co-op racers and the last NFS game I played had none of that.

Vampyr interests me, but I haven't heard much about it from the channels that I would normally hear praising or trashing horror games. Given that it's free, I'll definitely be giving it a go at some point.

I have played a bunch of vampyr when it came out. The lower your expectations, the more you're going to love it. It's not a bad game, but it's a bit plodding at times and it shows some AA title limitations.

It's a good souls-like with a phenomenal setting, the post-WW1 setting + Spanish Flu really gives the world a character that you don't really find in games other than maybe Dishonoured. And whilst the lead character is a bit melodramatic and overly philosophical for his own good, he's enjoyable.

It's one of those games that just works with what it has, but it doesn't really does anything new with the chance it has. It's a fun game, and if you like dark vampire stuff with slightly sanctimonious philosophical undertones, it'll sink its fangs into you.

It's also not true horror, it's really Dark Souls in Spanish Flu struck London (so it's kinda topical too).

On 28/09/2020 at 16:12, tristy said:

Oh boy.

After it came out that Yakuza: Like a Dragon saves from the PS4 won't transfer over to the PS5, it's now rumored that other upgradable games like Cyberpunk and AC: Valhalla (among others) will be the same way. Games that aren't getting an upgrade are fine, and presumably games like Elder Scrolls Online or Avengers will be fine too since they're live service games, but yeah, still.

I'm not sure I understand this. I can just buy the game on my new system right? I don't have to like order it on the old one and then upgrade it do I?

It's a bit of a strange one. For some reason, the PS5 version is coming out a few months after the PS4 version, even though the Xbox One and Series X will be getting it at the same time. However, game saves from the PS4 version won't transfer over to the PS5 version, so if you only own Sony devices and want to start playing the game on 13th November, you won't be able to carry your progress over to the PS5 upgrade when it's available, even if you're using the same disc.

A friend and I just finished a play through of A Way Out. We did it in three sittings, first at his split screen, second remotely and third back at his.

It was fun and interesting and a nice selection of teamworky bits and competitive side games. Lots of chance to banter and slag each other off inbetween focussing and helping each other completely to get things done. A good mix.

Ending discussed....

Spoiler

I played as Leo and he played as Vincent so when the plane landed and the police swarmed round I felt like we'd both been betrayed, then when it turned out Vincent was an undercover cop I felt even more betrayed, but kind of by the game. My friend certainly didn't enjoy this swerve being thrust upon him when he didn't know that about his character. Maybe it would have been better if somehow he could have found out from early on he was an undercover cop, without me knowing.

So the ending was a bummer as both had a wife and kid so for either of us to kill the other was not good and there's no choice not to.

Still, that said, mostly a good game with some great set pieces, borrowing a lot from a whole range of movies. My favourite movie reference was totally unexpected though and I totally marked out, especially as it was happening to my character. As soon as he went through the door and the camera shifted I thought "oooooooh this is just like...." and it was.

Spoiler

The Oldboy corridor fight scene.