The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I've now wasted about 4 hours of my life trying to beat John Cena in Showcase mode of 2K19. Closest I've got is him countering two of what I presume is the final Yes Lock to win the match. I just don't get this game.

I had such great hopes for the new GRID game, but it's really disappointing. There are good points, the AI seems fairly good and the driving feels smooth, unfortunately that driving also involves a car that doesn't always go anywhere near as fast as it should do while your opposition drives normally, after a start that bogs down no matter how many revs you have. The online races even have some cars starting 2-5 seconds before the rest of the field. 

In addition to that it somehow has half the amount of cars and tracks as its most recent PS3 game, and graphics to match.

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Has anyone used PlayStation Now? It looks quite good value when you scroll through how many games you have access to through it.

I used it when it was in beta, it's a solid service. I remember it wasn't great back then but it's apparently improved ten fold since then. Plus the new price drop means it's totally worth it. I would totally suggest trying it for a month, because unless you're someone who buys a bunch of stuff on day one, you're going to have a lot of good stuff available.

Death Stranding is very much a "wait and see" game for me. Everything I've seen so far seems weird for the sake of being weird, and it doesn't look fun either. On the other hand, Kojima's produced so much content that I like that it would be silly of me not to at least keep an eye out.

On 18/10/2019 at 08:34, Bobfoc said:

Death Stranding is very much a "wait and see" game for me. Everything I've seen so far seems weird for the sake of being weird, and it doesn't look fun either. On the other hand, Kojima's produced so much content that I like that it would be silly of me not to at least keep an eye out.

Alas, I'm in the group where I go "Oohhhh Kojima!" and buy Day 1.  My first thoughts when I watched the Death Stranding teasers were "Man, I can't wait to buy this and figure out what its about"

So yea, I'll be getting this launch day

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lint said:

Alas, I'm in the group where I go "Oohhhh Kojima!" and buy Day 1.  My first thoughts when I watched the Death Stranding teasers were "Man, I can't wait to buy this and figure out what its about"

So yea, I'll be getting this launch day

I have it pre-ordered!

That and Pokemon come out right around the same time. Dang. 

Death Stranding: The Kotaku Review

Death Stranding is also about throwing grenades made from your own piss and shit at ghosts. It is about hiking alone in the wilderness for hours. It is a tireless grind. It is a commentary on social media and the internet, delivered through the asynchronous interactions players can have with one another as they play. It is breathtaking in scope, consistently intelligent in design, and beautiful to behold. It is a heaping pile of pretentious nonsense. It is a game in which characters drop overwrought interpretations of Kōbō Abe quotes. Its most recurring visual motif is a not-so-subtle gesture towards Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow. It progresses not with the quiet stroke of a pen but with the pounding crash of a hammer. “I brought you a metaphor,” one of the characters says late in the game. It is stupid, and obvious, and perfect.

That paragraph tells me everything I need to know, but also tells me nothing at all.  I'm going to go into this game SO confused about everything, but since its Kojima, I think I'll still love it.

Its also why I'm not buying The Outer Worlds...because I know I won't beat that before Death Stranding comes out, an I'll probably be playing Death Stranding long enough I'd lose interest in Outer Worlds.  

Outer Worlds will be my purchase next month!

• Like 2

It's amusing to me that for all the hype and intrigue behind this game for the last two or three years, now that it's here it seems to amount to just "Norman Reedus delivering parcels for 80 hours".

"One particularly torturous late-game story mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn’t an enjoyable video game mission – it’s a lecture your parents used to give you when you complained about having to walk to school."

Even some of the positive reviews seem to be giving it a good score in spite of themselves, because they want to like it, cause some reviews don't even sound like it adds up to the eventual rating they give it. Like trying to frame being boring and a chore as impressive.

This from 4/5 star review from The Guardian.

• About 80% of your time is spent trudging across mountains delivering parcels.
  • The challenge comes from the surprisingly engaging cargo management, where you trade weight against balance, speed against stamina, and weigh up risky shortcuts over treacherous terrain. 
  • The opening hours of the game are cut-scene heavy, creating intrigue that just about drives you forward to the point when you’re 35 hours in and losing the will to zigzag up another vertical slope.
  • Death Stranding’s focus on meticulous cargo preparation and deliveries that trigger repetitive, intrusive, micro cut-scenes, feel designed to provoke fluster in a world of instant gratification.
  • Think 2001, The Road, The Leftovers, Silent Hill and Planet Earth reinterpreted as three days of UPS contract work.

No fun. A chore. Four stars!

It takes about 10 hours for the throat-clearing to wrap up and for Death Stranding’s structure and mechanics to fully reveal themselves. And those 10 hours are some of the weakest in the game, thanks to the endless cutscenes and a series of bummer quests that have me lugging packages (and even a corpse!) up steep hills in the rain. I’m never given a great reason for these initial chores; I do them because I’m told I must. It is the epitome of a slog, and it’s easy to imagine that many players won’t ever make it past this stretch of the game.
But even if you do, here’s the thing: The entire game is about lugging packages. That’s what you’ll be doing whenever you’re in control of Sam: bringing a box or boxes from one part of the map to another. Saying it out loud, it sounds like absolute misery.

Sitting through a two-hour cut scene finale and still having no idea what just happened.

I was really interested in this game when it was first being teased and from the few early trailers but the closer it's got to release and the more I've heard about it the less interested I've been, and now my interest is probably as low as it can be from reading these reviews of it. This just sounds like a miserable experience being given even the slightest amount of leeway as something more than that, in spite of themselves, because it's Kojima. It just sounds like Kojima unleashed. The Tarantino of video games, self-indulgent and no restraint.

death-stranding-memes-hideo-kojima-pic.j

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

It sounds like an experience, but it doesn't sound fun. Which is disappointing. I think I might cancel my pre-order and put it towards something else and pick it up cheap down the line. 

Thats what I was planning to do, but from what I've seen theres things other players leave in the world such as bridges or zip wires to help you traverse to your destination and feel 'part of the experience'. Surely if I pick the game up after say 6 months theres going to be too many shortcuts and stuff so how do they avoid having the late comer miss that initial openness?  Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding the premise which, lets be fair, wouldn't be difficult.