The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I don't think it's big enough for discs is it? 

It's a no from me, I think I've commented on it previously but the sell of the SNES one was to play some classics on essentially the same joypads. With the PS1 the 3D graphics have dated far more than any sprite based older games have, and bar a few high points there's not much to pull me in there. Those that are worth it are available on modern consoles anyway with essentially the same controllers, I'd rather just buy Metal Gear and Oddworld for my PS3. 

10 minutes ago, Colly said:

I don't think it's big enough for discs is it? 

It's a no from me, I think I've commented on it previously but the sell of the SNES one was to play some classics on essentially the same joypads. With the PS1 the 3D graphics have dated far more than any sprite based older games have, and bar a few high points there's not much to pull me in there. Those that are worth it are available on modern consoles anyway with essentially the same controllers, I'd rather just buy Metal Gear and Oddworld for my PS3. 

That would make sense considering the size of it. Don't know what I was thinking.

Rainbow Six I can't imagine has aged too well from that list. If we're talking pre Dual Shock especially, you're looking at strafing with the shoulder buttons or face buttons? That was FPS right? Or was was it more a 3rd person squad shootery thing?

Some of the choices seem odd in terms of established series. Like, why Cool Boarders 2 out of all 3? Why Twisted Metal instead of 2?

I'm glad they decided on releasing a PS1 Classic, it's a nice idea, but I'm not picking it up. I've got my SNES Classic modded with all the games I'd ever play, and they've got better controller support (so you can use the Wii Classic Controller) at this point, too. Even if you did get a PS1 Classic and mod it, it doesn't have (AFAIK) any controller support outside of the ones it comes with, unless they decide to release dualshocks for the system later on, so it won't be as versatile as the SNES Classic with mods is at the moment.

Space is a big thing too. If the thing only has enough storage space to store what is in there, you'd run into some issues with modding it (easily as well) and might need something like the USB hard drive options that existed for the SNES classic - which is just more of a pain then would be needed, if even possible.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, of course. I use a USB stick for my SNES classic so I completely forgot that that would be an issue. Must be barely any free space at all on there considering how much more space PS1 games are going to take up, providing they have the same amount of storage space overall.

I figure you're looking at either 16gb or 32gb on board storage for everything. Not sure if they can compress them any but, assuming the full 700mb for everything (FFVII being 3 disc, MGS being 2, not sure if there's more multi disc in there?) that's just over 16gb. Call it 500mb a piece though and it's still like 11.5gb. I'd be skeptical as to how much left over space there would be, and that's assuming Sony isn't more militant about this than Nintendo is. Like, I think they left some note in the coding or something basically saying hi to the hackers? And they seemingly made no effort to remedy the situation even with them releasing the SNES version and a re-release of the NES.

The only one I'm interested in is Persona, and that's if (IF) it's the PSP version that doesn't have an entire story arc cut out.

On 29/10/2018 at 18:49, King Boo Ellis said:

Rainbow Six I can't imagine has aged too well from that list. If we're talking pre Dual Shock especially, you're looking at strafing with the shoulder buttons or face buttons? That was FPS right? Or was was it more a 3rd person squad shootery thing?

Some of the choices seem odd in terms of established series. Like, why Cool Boarders 2 out of all 3? Why Twisted Metal instead of 2?

Rainbow Six on PS1 was horrible at the time and very disappointing compared to the classic PC original.

I'm disappointed that the Jackbox Party Pack isn't offered on the PS4. I hear good things about Yakuza, but it's not my type of game, and I'll add Bulletstorm to my library, but with the amount of shooters that I have in my queue right now, I highly doubt I'll get around to it any time soon. Jackbox would have been great though for parties or lazy nights with the old lady.