Cavalier

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullshit. It was a light tap.

Here, syco.

inw25_fisher_shot.jpg

I was just messing with you. I hate the Jazz, almost as much as I hate Sacremento or San Antonio :P

Besides, that Bulls team had Rodman, who is one of my top 3 favorite players of all time, with Magic and Nick Van Exel.

Thats awesome, and is now my new background :D

I still say that knowing your best are better than the enemy's best is a much better feeling than knowing you got a lucky win.

While that certainly has appeal, personally I prefer the

'knowing that your AMATUERS outplayed everyone else's BEST' is a much bigger fuck you to them and satisfaction for us. That coupled with the world situation at the time make that the greatest sports moment ever.

Guest Onkel Hans

I still say that knowing your best are better than the enemy's best is a much better feeling than knowing you got a lucky win.

'knowing that your AMATUERS outplayed everyone else's BEST' is a much bigger fuck you to them and satisfaction for us. That coupled with the world situation at the time make that the greatest sports moment ever.

Obviously you know nothing of my moment if you're bringing the 'world situation at the time' into it. And no, yours isn't better, because the Americans GOT LUCKY. Would you rather win the lottery once or be the CEO of a global corporation for decades?

A - didn't read your moment. I'm talking about the fact that that particular moment was a direct reflection of the Cold War ... USA/Russia, the two megapowers of the world at that moment in time colliding on the ice when on the world stage it .......... yeah, I'm not going to even try to put it into perspective ... if you don't get it, you don't get it. Oh, and I don't remember saying anything about what was going on in 'your' moment (again, didn't even read it). I was merely replying to what ... you know, I quoted you on.

B - ... Lucky ? to quote you "Obviously you know nothing of my moment" The USA AMATUERS outplayed their professional counterparts on other teams several times in that Olympic tournament.

C- work my ass off for decades and be a millionare or spend 2$ and look up the numbers the next morning and be a millionare ? yeah, that answer is obvious

Edited by HailtotheKing

The Reds sweeping the heavily favored, heavily overrated Oakland A's in the 1990 World Series.

The Tennessee Volunteers beating Florida State to win the College Football Championship in 1998. (For a year or two before that, I kept telling everyone that I wanted to see the Vols play the Seminoles sometime and everyone kept telling me I was nuts, so I got the last laugh)

I don't feel like looking it up, but there's a pretty sweet clip up on Youtube of a women's basketball game (I think its WNBA, but might be college) where one player more or less does a Stan Hansen imitation and levels an opponent.

The Johns Hopkins-Virginia lacrosse semifinal game in 2005. Hopkins were up early, but as it started to rain Virginia made a massive comeback. Lightning caused a 45 minute delay. When the game resumed, Hopkins tied it. UVA then scored with 12.9 seconds left, so we all pretty much figured the game was over. Off the face-off, Hopkins took one run down and shot at the goal. With 1.4 seconds left the game was tied. Then we scored the winner in OT. It was pretty much the best lacrosse game ever played, and I was there for it. Pretty cool for me at least.

Guest Onkel Hans

Obviously you know nothing of my moment if you're bringing the 'world situation at the time' into it. And no, yours isn't better, because the Americans GOT LUCKY. Would you rather win the lottery once or be the CEO of a global corporation for decades?

I don't feel like looking it up, but how many of the USA players wound up in the NHL? Wasn't it something like six, with only two of them making any sort of impact? Contrast that to a Soviet side that had already proven (on MANY occasions) that they were as good as the best players, even NHL pros, that anyone else could offer. The fact that the USA had never had any real international hockey success up to that point, and arguably never did again until the 1996 World Cup, should be enough proof that, yeah, your players got lucky.

Uh, how is that proof that they got Lucky ? You just further proved the point I was making. Nobodies beat actual hockey players. It wasn't luck. They outplayed top notch competition the entire tournament. The were the 7th seed of 8 in the Olympic tournament. Were that the only game they won in the tournament ? Yeah, luck. It wasn't. They took home the Gold Medal. They were better in that tournament. Period.

And the moment I'm talking about, the one I'm arguing is better than Lake Placid, is the 1972 Summit Series - the first test of West vs. East in the realm of hockey, and one that happens to involve a little bit of humility as well.

See, I looked it up because I'm not ignorant nor am I lazy. So, an East vs West clash that revolved around GASP -> the COLD WAR that the UNITED STATES was involved in with the USSR. Well I'll be damned. Your moment deals with an ally of one of the two countries involved in the Cold War while mine directly deals with the two countries involved. Interesting. I absolutely see why this was significant, but I just don't feel it had the same impact that the USA vs USSR match did in 1980. OH, and

(perhaps a foreign concept to you, I'm not sure).

The third grade response I had for that aside ........ again, I'm pretty sure humility was involved when they lost to a side of collegiate and strictly amatuer players beat them.

Also, everybody in the 1980 Olympics was an amateur. Professional hockey players weren't allowed into the Olympics until I believe 1994.

Uh, yeah. Maybe you should look some things up. That, or at least do your homework. From a quick glance at Wiki for reference:

"The Soviet players, who had Olympic experience, were amateurs by strict definition only, as they were elite players playing hockey full-time in their native country and given other titular professions (e.g. army officer's commissions) to maintain the amateur ruse for Olympic eligibility." That's from your Summit Series entry .....

"Though classed as amateur, Soviet players essentially played professionally in a well-developed league with excellent training facilities. They were led by legendary players in world ice hockey, such as Boris Mikhailov, a right-wing and team captain; Vladislav Tretiak, considered by many the best ice hockey goaltender in the world at the time; as well as talented, young, and dynamic players such as defenseman Viacheslav Fetisov. In exhibitions that year, Soviet club teams had gone 5-3-1 against NHL teams, and a year earlier the Soviet national team routed the NHL all-stars 6-0 to win the Challenge Cup. In 1979-80." That's from the entry about about the Miracle on Ice.

Guest Onkel Hans

Uh, how is that proof that they got Lucky ? You just further proved the point I was making. Nobodies beat actual hockey players. It wasn't luck. They outplayed top notch competition the entire tournament. The were the 7th seed of 8 in the Olympic tournament. Were that the only game they won in the tournament ? Yeah, luck. It wasn't. They took home the Gold Medal. They were better in that tournament. Period.

My favourite sporting moments (that I saw as they happened - on TV at least) include:

FIRST: Steve Redgrave winning his fifth Olympic gold medal - they won by millimetres with the other team coming back at the line. All the hugging and tears afterwards, it was great - I'd stayed up on purpose to watch it live (it was in Sydney of course that year). He's come back that year as well after Atlanta '96 where he'd said he'd never get in a boat again. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_SyA7NyuA

SECOND: Jonathan Edwards jumping to two World Records in Gothenberg in 1995 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=la0aslRvbAM Of course he jumped 18:43 at a later date (I didn't see it though) but watching back that jump was nigh on perfect - he hung for ages.

THIRD: Gazza's freekick against the Gooner scum in the 1991 FA Cup semi final which we won 3-1 (and beat Forest 2-1 in the final) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMaIUSeRxA

So the rest are in no order:

The two stages in this year's Tour de France when Rasmussen and Contador just blew the rest of the leading cyclists apart up the mountains - both were different. In the first Contador kept attacking, Rasmussen going after him and Cadel Evans etc just couldn't kept up - Contador won in the end of that one though.

In the other Contador tried to attack but Rasmussen kept his head and kept pulling him back then just upped the pace and took over 40 seconds off the rest of them as he just kept pulling away. It was amazing to watch - both VERY exciting with the different cyclists in the lead group taking turns trying to attack etc and Rasmussen in yellow dragging them back in and upping the workrate - brilliant.

Beckham vs Greece to get us to the World Cup in 2002. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bz5A8oGlgDQ

Flintoff's greatest Ashes over: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g5LDxomxITI

Steven Gerrard in the tunnel: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kYAghOEgffo :shifty:

THIS Jay Jay Okocha freekick: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIK4mI0EJw

Robertson and Emms getting to the Olympic badminton mixed doubles final (I love badders)

Also, as an aside: How did this happen?!?!?! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yDbX8I202VU (Freekick wizardry)

So by your logic, Barry Horowitz beating Chris Candido or the 1-2-3 Kid beating Razor Ramon was more important than Hogan slamming Andre?

Uh, what ? :blink:

Maybe it's because I don't live in the US, but I'm pretty sure that the Cold War involved more countries than just you and the Soviets.

Uhm, yes. I was hoping you could read between the lines there. Yeah, the Cold War involved more than just the US/USSR. I was merely implying the difference between DIRECT and INDIRECT involvement. Let's see if I can use the wrestling logic you tried above.

It's the difference between X-Pac and HBK in DX. Sure, X-Pac played his role and had some important bits, but HBK was the main catalyst/constituant.

Also, the US team beat the Russians on home soil - the Summit Series was split between Canada and Moscow. Furthermore, when in Moscow, the Canadian players had to deal with tapped phone lines, intentionally disturbed sleep, bad/no food, and their organizer nearly getting arrested. I'd say that's dealing with the Cold War.

Yeah, that sucks, but wasn't it the Canadians that played dirty ? Something about slashing the ankle of the star player for the USSR and such ? Yeah .... that didn't have an effect on anything. Besides, the on home soil thing .... half the games on the were on Canadian soil, so what if the game was in the US ? Yeah it helped, but the Canadians had plenty of help with four games at home don't you think ?

Right, but they were officially amateurs.

So, a technical definition outweighs actuality ? I learned something about you today.

Dude, MPH, the Summit Series is great and all, but, outside of Canada, the Miracle on Ice is much more important. Say what you want about Canada being involved in the Cold War, and they were, but the Cold War was about the US and the USSR. It was an Olympic Moment, arguably, on par with Jesse Owens winning the Gold Medal in Berlin.

You hadn't heard of the Summit Series? I don't agree with him in the slightest, but damn Plubster, that's not right. Still, the Miracle on Ice is so much better than the SS, particularly because of Al Michaels' "Do you believe in miracles!" call, which I'll happily rank #2 in the list of greatest lines of commentary ever (#1 going to "There are some people on the pitch! They think it's all over...*goal*...it is now!").

Personally, my absolute favourite sports moment is a not-too-surprising one, being the 1998 Division One Playoff Final, Charlton vs. Sunderlold. Clive Mendonca joined the exclusive club of players to score a hat-trick at Wembley, Richard Rufus scoring his first goal to tie the game at 3-3 with five minutes to go, Sasa Ilic saving that last penalty, there are too many individual moments in that to pick a favourite, but the best bit was that I was there, and it's something I'll never forget.