Hollywood writers strike

Guest wwebone

I support the writers no doubt but the way they handled this was terrible. Look at the way DGA handled their deal, held casual discussions before starting formal talks, kept things civil in the press instead of going with the "THE AMPTP IS SATAN" method and looked at the internet revenues with an open mind instead of the "YOU BASTARDS ARE STEALING FROM US AND WE WANT OUR MONEY" method. Bill Simmons (a former Kimmell writer) has some great points, including saying the people leading this walkout would be the equivalent of Chucky Atkins & Brian Cardinal convincing the NBPA to walk and how they fucked up by using an inexperienced negoiating team. Supporting them is one thing, but blind faith and obviously overlooking fuck ups where fuck ups have been made is just burying ones head in the sand.

And yeah, typos are a bitch...ask Devastator the Colwn.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fears have been alleviated, the strike is more or less over. The WGA East and West both met today and their membership was said to have enthusiastically endorsed the tentative deal. All that's left now is for the WGA Board to recommend the deal and then a vote to end the strike in the 48 hours following. Judging by the reaction to the deal at the meeting, I think it's safe to say that the writers will be back to work within the week.

Source: The Usual Suspect

According to Zap2It, only 10-20 shows will return and Heroes won't be one of them. :(

I read somewhere that only something like about half a dozen episodes of one hour shows could be made before season's end if the strike ends now (and this was yesterday when I read this), and something like 10 or 11 thirty minute shows. I think. Can't remember.

Either way, doesn't seem like we'd miss very much.

I just want to see House, Criminal Minds and NUMB3RS back. >_>

The Office

Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

Yessss! Boo at no more Pushing Daisies or Chuck until the fall (but does that mean both are renewed?), and I hope Reaper gets more, but more Office is enough for me.

CBS ANNOUNCES RETURN OF ORIGINAL EPISODES OF COMEDY AND DRAMA SERIES SERIES

ANTICIPATED RETURN

EXPECTED # OF NEW EPISODES

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

March 17

THE BIG BANG THEORY

March 17

TWO AND A HALF MEN

March 17

CSI: MIAMI

March 24

COLD CASE

March 30

CRIMINAL MINDS

April 2

CSI: NY

April 2

CSI

April 3

WITHOUT A TRACE

April 3

GHOST WHISPERER

April 4

NUMB3RS

April 4

NCIS

April 8

MOONLIGHT

April 11

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

April 14

SHARK

TBA

* THE UNIT, CANE and SHARK are on previously announced hiatus to accommodate the mid-season launches of BIG BROTHER, JERICHO and DEXTER.

**The drama series SWINGTOWN, which hasn't been scheduled yet, will also resume production.

I agree. Veering of course, man, Dexter on CBS is going to be TERRIBLE. They're gonna have to edit so much out.. ugh.

Next to announce post-strike plans is NBC. Today they announced the returns of "My Name Is Earl", "The Office", "Scrubs", "30 Rock", "ER", L&O Classic and L&O Special Victims Unit. "Medium" was already running in the Monday 10pm slot and will continue to do so.

"Medium" (Mondays, 10-11 p.m. ET)

Continues current run

"My Name Is Earl" (Thursdays, 8-8:30 p.m. ET)

Resumes April 3 with one-hour episode

"30 Rock" (Thursdays, 8:30-9 p.m. ET)

Resumes April 10

"The Office" (Thursdays, 9-9:30 p.m. ET)

Resumes April 10

"Scrubs" (Thursdays, 9:30-10 p.m. ET)

Resumes April 10

"ER" (Thursdays, 10-11 p.m. ET)

Resumes April 10

"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (Tuesdays, 10-11 p.m. ET)

Resumes April 15

"Law & Order" (Wednesdays, 10-11 p.m. ET)

Resumes April 23

They've also announced the renewal of "Chuck", "Life" and "Heroes" for the fall. Neither will return in the spring, but "Heroes" will run in all originals apparently during the fall. Nothing we didn't basically know already, but it's good to see it confirmed that "Chuck" and "Life" are safe.

All of this courtesy of The Futon Critic.

Heroes, Chuck, and Life not returning until the fall sucks, but at least we know that the two best new shows of this year are safe for next year. :)

HIMYM coming back for nine episodes is great. Office and 30 Rock returning in two months is also good news. But the Unit not having any new episodes sucks. :(

It's great to see that Chuck is safe. I... should probably get around to watching the last couple of season one episodes on NBC's site since I forgot to tune in that day they aired all of them. So with that and Pushing Daisies, two of the three new series I really liked have been confirmed for renewal. So that leaves just Reaper up in the air, for me.