Hollywood writers strike

Guest wwebone

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvel and Lionsgate sign deals. This puts the "Ant-Man" movie back in development. I had zero idea that Marvel was actually making an "Ant-Man" movie. Odd. :shifty:

Also the WGA and Moguls entered informal discussions yesterday, presumably with the same intention the DGA had of working out all the major issues in advance and not getting back to the table until they're within spitting distance of a deal. I am hopeful although not overly expectant.

Lastly, this may not be The Daily Show but it is done by their writers. Funny stuff: http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/0...iters-mock.html

• 2 weeks later...

The rumors are becoming less rumory and more facty. According to the LA Times, the WGA leadership may brief the board of directors on a contract Monday, meaning the big issues might have been worked out and all that leaves is to draw the deal up and bring it to the membership. 3 months of Hollywood being out of work and it took the possibility of losing the Oscars to get the moguls to bargain in good faith. Ridiculous.

The rumors are becoming less rumory and more facty. According to the LA Times, the WGA leadership may brief the board of directors on a contract Monday, meaning the big issues might have been worked out and all that leaves is to draw the deal up and bring it to the membership. 3 months of Hollywood being out of work and it took the possibility of losing the Oscars to get the moguls to bargain in good faith. Ridiculous.

The strike isn't over. Michael Eisner is neither a spokesperson for the AMPTP, nor is he employed by any of the companies. He's a failed Disney exec who hasn't worked for the moguls since he got fired 2 and a half years ago and is now running a bunch of websites.

Here's what I've heard, compiled from various sources:

A breakthrough was reached on new media last Friday afternoon after back room figures encouraged both sides to make concessions. Apparently the deal they reached was to keep the DGA plan for streams in the first two years ($600 for 6 months, $1,200 for a year, 2% of distributor gross afterwards), and then substitute a percentage figure of 2% of Distributor Gross for the third year. This is big. The WGA Negotiating Committee briefed the board of directors on Monday and then on Tuesday called membership meetings in Los Angeles and New York for tomorrow. They're currently drafting the language of the agreement and hope to get the wording finalized sometime today in order to send out a membership wide mass e-mail with the deal points. Tomorrow they will presumably present this deal formally to the membership and take the temperature of the room. The Board of Directors will meet Sunday, and if the reaction to Saturday's meeting is positive they could either call off the strike effective immediately or schedule a vote sometime Wednesday or Thursday. While Eisner is certain the deal will be accepted, nobody else seems to be. This could go one of two ways. Hell, if they don't get the deal language finalized quickly enough to get it to the members in advance of the meeting the whole deal could go up in flames. Word is that this deal is contingent upon saving the Oscars from the moguls end, and if the membership reacts negatively and in a knee-jerk fashion to the deal, it might be impossible to sell the deal quick enough. The next 2 days are going to be very interesting.

Sources: Deadline Hollywood Daily, Variety, the New York Times, United Hollywood, Jonathan Handel's "Digital Media Law". I am such a nerd.

Eisner claims the strike is over

Thankfully, the end to the most pointless and poorly run labor stopage since the NHL Lockout is near. I just want my fucking NBC Thursdays back.

Yes, heaven forbid others put their livelihood ahead of your entertainment. <_>

I don't really understand that arguement, surely it's possible to support the writers and still want to see your favourite shows back.

Eisner claims the strike is over

Thankfully, the end to the most pointless and poorly run labor stopage since the NHL Lockout is near. I just want my fucking NBC Thursdays back.

Yes, heaven forbid others put their livelihood ahead of your entertainment. <_>

I don't really understand that arguement, surely it's possible to support the writers and still want to see your favourite shows back.

If you support the writers, you wouldn't call the strike "pointless".

True enough - I guess I didn't catch that part at first. My bad.

I support the writers no doubt but the way they handled this was terrible. Look at the way DGA handled their deal, held casual discussions before starting formal talks, kept things civil in the press instead of going with the "THE AMPTP IS SATAN" method and looked at the internet revenues with an open mind instead of the "YOU BASTARDS ARE STEALING FROM US AND WE WANT OUR MONEY" method. Bill Simmons (a former Kimmell writer) has some great points, including saying the people leading this walkout would be the equivalent of Chucky Atkins & Brian Cardinal convincing the NBPA to walk and how they fucked up by using an inexperienced negoiating team. Supporting them is one thing, but blind faith and obviously overlooking fuck ups where fuck ups have been made is just burying ones head in the sand.

And yeah, typos are a bitch...ask Devastator the Colwn.