2007/2008 Hockey Thread

EDIT: Also, If you want to do an EWB hockey pool, I set one up here at www.onlinepools.com

pool name = EWB

password = playoffs

It's a free one, so it's just basic. It's set up so you can pick as many players from either conference, but for the sake of a pool it should split down the middle for both East and West.

I have it set as 20 skaters and 4 goalies all together, but to split into East/West and positions it should be 6 forwards, 4 defense, and 2 goalies per conference.

2 points for a goal

1 point for an assist

2 points for a win

3 points for a shutout

edit: shit, I meant to edit that to my last post, my bad.

How do we join it, I cant find anywhere to type that in.

Yeah, I just realized I have to put them in.

If you want to do it, just post the 6 forwards, 4 defense, and 2 goalies for each conference here and I'll put them in myself.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lottery didn't change the order - Tampa got the top spot, LA is second and Toronto is 7th overall in the draft. Still a good spot to be in and it should be a spot to work from if Fletcher wants to move up to get someone higher or sit tight and use that pick.

The Western Conference is pretty tight. I think all the series have the potential to go to seven games and they are all very close.

Detroit vs. Nashville

I am going to pick Detroit. Nashville has been a surprise after losing so many key players in the off-season, but I don't think they have enough to compete against the Wings. Detroit has solid goaltending and a great offence. I say Detroit in 5.

San Jose vs. Calgary

I think Calgary has had success against San Jose this year and the Sharks are really looking to get out of the first round. If Joe Thornton AND Marleau get going, then the Sharks have this series. I don't think both will though, and that means the Flames can key on whichever one is playing well and shut him down. Kipper and Nabokov are equally amazing, but I like the Calgary defence. I am taking Calgary in 6.

Minnesota vs. Colorado

I really enjoy when division rivals face off in the playoffs. This one should be good. I think Colorado may be healthy for the first time all year while the Wild have been tremendous playing their system while opening up just a little more to give Gaborik some room to work. I'd take Backstrom over Theodore any day, but the Avalanche have more depth defensively and offensively. I'm taking Colorado in 7, but with Backstrom and Gaborik, the Wild could take the series.

Anaheim vs. Dallas

Anaheim had a slow start but has turned it around and been very strong recently. Dallas has been good all year. I think Anaheim will take this one in 6, as they are a team more suited to the style of play seen in the playoffs. I prefer their offence to the offence of the Dallas Stars.

VOTE: Bill Watters

I like Kypreos on Hockey Central on the FAN 590.

Edited by Toe

Basha and I were debating which was the more difficult conference and Basha - you can't hide the fact that your whole conference sucks with "competitiveness" :D :

West is best -- again -- For the third consecutive season, the West easily outdistanced the East in interconference play. Western Conference teams were 83-53-14 (180 points) in the 150 games against the Eastern Conference that concluded with Ottawa-St. Louis on Thursday night, while Eastern teams were only 67-67-16 (150 points). The 83 wins are the most by the West in the three seasons under the current format.

Pittsburgh had the best record of any team against the opposite conference, going 8-1-1 in games against the Pacific and Northwest divisions. Anaheim and Colorado led the West with 8-2-0 records, while Detroit was 7-2-1.

The New York Rangers were by far the worst team in interconference play; they went 1-7-2, and only a victory against San Jose in their last game against a Western team enabled them to avoid becoming the first team to go winless against the other conference since the current scheduling format was adopted in 2005. Chicago's 4-5-1 record against the East was the worst of any Western team. The Blackhawks were the only team from the West to lose more games in regulation against the East than they won.

One change from last season was a sharp decline in the number of games that were tied at the end of regulation. Just 30 of this season's 150 interconference games went to overtime or a shootout, down from 39 last season and 26 in 2005-06.

Edited by Angry Norro

Canada selects 15 for the World Championship

The two goaltenders chosen are Pascal Leclaire and Cam Ward, while some of the star players signed up include Shane Doan, Eric Staal and Rick Nash.

For those who can't be bothered to read it, the squad currently looks like this:

Goaltenders - Pascal Leclaire (CBS), Cam Ward (CAR)

Defensemen - Jay Bouwmeester (FLA), Steve Staios (EDM), Duncan Keith (CHI)

Forwards - Eric Staal, Ray Whitney (CAR), Rick Nash, Jason Chimera (CBS), Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp (CHI), Derek Roy (BUF), Shane Doan (PHO), Martin St. Louis (TB), Jamal Mayers (StL)