2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Very physical game so far, but the high point just happened. McGuire has been ragging on Tlusty all game and he just was flattened by Hartnell. So what does the rookie Tlusty do?

He waits for Hartnell to get the puck then lays him out with a check of his own!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toronto got the win and are now 5 points back which is the closest they have been since the middle of February. Mats Sundin left early in the game and if he is gone for Saturday's game or more, that will be a HUGE loss for the team.

Matt Stajan was awesome in the game. A great screen on Biron to set up the winner and he won a lot of crucial face-offs in the third period.

Maybe they'll take pics together.

Tomorrow night is one of the most important games of the year for the Habs and the Sens. A Sens win puts them atop the Habs as they'll draw even in points but have more wins IIRC. A Habs win puts 4 points between themselves and Ottawa, allows for pretty much, a single slip up. It's going to be an intense game.

Montreal a team that has been counted out since the beginning of the season has proven a lot of people wrong, but we've been hearing that all season. The facts are that a team that on paper looked to get worse has gotten far better. Production from 4 lines, 5 players at 50+ points and 2 more at 40+, great goaltending from Price since the Huet trade, a stellar season from Kovalev who while he shouldn't win it, should be considered for the Hart. A super turn out from all the youngsters and a defensive corps that I would go so far as to call the best in the East.

Ottawa is clearly the fallen champion in this storyline, apparently the buzz in Ottawa is just as big as it is here in Montreal so this is going to be a massive game. Ottawa has won 8 of the last 9 against the Habs and their most recent win against the Habs was the Habs worst defeat of the season.

This looks like it's going to be a high scoring affair. The problems for Montreal become how do you shut down a line that put up 11? points against you the last time you played them. Pretty much, if you stop the top line, you have a very good shot at beating Ottawa.

Likewise for Ottawa the goal becomes shutting down the Kovalev-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line. While all 4 of the Habs lines are producing, this one has been one of the most electrifying lines to watch all season.

Whoever scores first is going to get a huge boost out of it. I'm willing to predict that whoever scores first wille eventually win the game. If it's the Habs who strike first, they have 21,273 fans who will turn the Bell Center into the loudest place in the world for the next 60 minutes. If it's the Sens, they shut up the loudest building in the league and crush the confidence of a very young team.

No doubt, it will be an amazing game to watch.

Why do I always forget to listen to the radio when we ruin other teams? Stupid NFL making me think all the yank sports radio coverage would cost.

Christ Arnason got a goal? Did the puck deflect off him while he was leaning on the net having a nap?

David Jones is shaping up to be a solid pick up, it'll be interesting to see how long he can keep his point/goal streak going.

Slightly worried by the absence of Joe Sakic and Son of Stastny from the recap I read, I didn't think they were injured, yet they didn't seem to contribute.

That was absolutely a stomping motion to the leg. Pronger should be suspended, just like Chris Simon was for a similar incident.

That said, Ryan Kesler had something like this coming. The dude's a fucking cunt. Pronger should have just hoped for a penalty to be called on Kesler though. A player should never, under any circumstances, use his skate aggressively.

Kesler is awesome, STFU Gabes.

Anyway, when are we doing this hockey podcast? I work tomorrow and have plans today, so next weekend?

What are your thoughts on the Panthers? The last couple of years they seem to have fallen behind early in the season, and then make a run only to fall short. Not sure if it will happen again this time. They continue to lose games late (sans their 6 game win streak) this year, much like last year. And sadly, very few people seem to care down here about them and hockey as a whole.

The Panthers need to focus on winning the Southeast Division next year. It's really their only shot at getting into the post-season.

They've got a good Captain in Jokinen and a terrific goaltender in Vokoun. That's a start, but it ain't going to win you a Stanley Cup. They really need to build a team. They rushed too many young guys, and as a result, those players' development was severely hampered and they haven't fully recovered from it.

If Florida wants to start winning in the next year or two, they'll have to build a team using trades and free agent signings. That said, I'm not even sure if they have enough money to really go after any good free agents.