2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Fuck....this game just symbolized the last three seasons. A late push in the dying minutes only to have our hearts broken and now I probably have to deal with another boxer's fracture. FUCK.

Oddly enough after the final buzzer my iTunes went to "I Know It's Over" by The Smiths. Fucking hell.

Edited by Clawson

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 points back now.

That sucks a lot. We still have a little, small, tiny chance. If we can sweep Philly and Buffalo in our remaining games against them, then maybe we can crawl back into the race. But it is very unlikely.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I was at today's Saginaw/Kitchener (OHL) game.

Part of the reason I was there was to get photos for my news photography class - and despite not starting until roughly 7 minutes left in the second, I got 371 pictures. The other part is that my cousin was in the Timbits game.

Great game though, back and forth all the way, Kitchener battles back from being down 2-1 to take a 3-2 lead, stupid refs (odd, as they're usually pro-Kitchener) somehow give us two penalties - including a game misconduct - and we're on a 3-man PK with two minutes to go, Saginaw scores with forty seconds left. Tie game.

Kitchener nearly scores before the period's up, and wins it 20 seconds into overtime. We're just that awesome. Even if we weren't the host team, we'd be in the Mem Cup for sure.

Also, best PA announcement ever: "Could the owner of a green Winstar and a black Chevy truck please move their vehicles? You're parked where the Zamboni drops its snow, so if you want to be able to move your cars after the game, you should move them now."

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

I think this video says a bit about Ovechkin.

You see Ovie trying to just walk away from some older guys who are hounding him for autographs, but in front of them gives a kid an autograph. You know those other guys just wanted the signatures so they could eBay stuff. The kid might cherish that for a long time though. Really awesome, I really like Ovechkin more and more.

Edited by Toe

I don't get a chance to watch many NHL games outside of the Penguins and the Sunday games on NBC (and Flyers games on ComcastNet, but seriously...why would I subject myself to that?) as my college cable system doesn't get Versus. So I have a question for those of you who do.

How often is charging called? During the Penguins/Capitals game Sunday, Ovechkin blatantly leaped into Malkin and nothing was called. Then later Jarkko Ruutu could've been called for it twice. But Ovechkin's was, in my opinion, obvious and a very reckless play. Though you'd never know it from listening to the NBC announcers.

So anyway, charging...is it a rarely called penalty or were the officials just letting more go?

I don't get a chance to watch many NHL games outside of the Penguins and the Sunday games on NBC (and Flyers games on ComcastNet, but seriously...why would I subject myself to that?) as my college cable system doesn't get Versus. So I have a question for those of you who do.

How often is charging called? During the Penguins/Capitals game Sunday, Ovechkin blatantly leaped into Malkin and nothing was called. Then later Jarkko Ruutu could've been called for it twice. But Ovechkin's was, in my opinion, obvious and a very reckless play. Though you'd never know it from listening to the NBC announcers.

So anyway, charging...is it a rarely called penalty or were the officials just letting more go?

Yes!

Toronto fired a lot of pucks on net and finally got the pucks to go in during the third period. Coming back from the 3-0 deficit, that was amazing to watch. I would have liked the win in regulation, but getting at least ONE point on 8th helps. The Leafs need to carry the momentum into the next game and a win there will get Toronto to within 5 points.

Whatever happens though, that was a great ending to a game that had me feeling pretty depressed after two periods.

Carey Price gets another shutout in a 4-0 win over New Jersey.

Seriously, anybody who doubts this kid in a pressure situation clearly hasn't seen him play at all. He's tailor made for shit like this, and should help the Habs get pretty far in the East.

Montreal dismantled Jersey last night. The shots may have read 38-33 Jersey, but they had maybe... 3 scoring chances all game. All their shots were perimeter shots.

Also, Sergei Kostitsyn, has got Kovalev-esque hands, and wow. The two plays he set up for the Koivu and Lapierre goal along with undressing one of the defenders to get Koivu another great opportunity, amazing game from him.

Price was just downright intimidating last night. Also, I like the way he clears the area in front of his net on his own. He's not quite Ron Hextall, but RDS was talking about it and showing some replays... he can be a little vicious.

If we can beat Ottawa on Thursday, I'll be pleased.