2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Okay, but clearly they don't have Barbados Slim on their team, because he's the only man to ever win Olympic Gold in Limbo, Sex AND Hockey.

Montreal played a great game tonight. If they play half that well the rest of the season, they'll be in fine shape come playoff time.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaberle also has a no-trade clause and would get as much as Sundin would (especially from Chicago, who are offering Cam Barker up right now).

Fuck, are you serious? Jesus, I would take that deal in a fraction of a heartbeat of a second

Kaberle also has a no-trade clause and would get as much as Sundin would (especially from Chicago, who are offering Cam Barker up right now).

Fuck, are you serious? Jesus, I would take that deal in a fraction of a heartbeat of a second

Why?

Cam Barker has failed to stick with the Chicago Blackhawks, and they are desperate for someone who can either pass on the powerplay or someone who possess a good shot and knows how to use it.

Barker was supposed to bring those to the table, and although he is still young, someone drafted early and touted to have those skills should be able to earn some minutes with a team that is desperate for a player with those talents. Barker has not impressed this season at all.

If Chicago sweetened the pot with someone like Micheal Blunden or Dave Bolland, that would be a great deal. I seriously doubt that the Hawks would want to lose either of those guys though.

Don't get greedy <_>

Why?

Cam Barker has failed to stick with the Chicago Blackhawks, and they are desperate for someone who can either pass on the powerplay or someone who possess a good shot and knows how to use it.

Barker was supposed to bring those to the table, and although he is still young, someone drafted early and touted to have those skills should be able to earn some minutes with a team that is desperate for a player with those talents. Barker has not impressed this season at all.

If Chicago sweetened the pot with someone like Micheal Blunden or Dave Bolland, that would be a great deal. I seriously doubt that the Hawks would want to lose either of those guys though.

TSN just ran a pretty cool story about this young kid named Jordan who has leukemia, and how the Make-A-Wish Foundation helped him meet the Maple Leafs. It was touching, as he got to meet Sundin, got a tour of the dressing room from Steen, Ovechkin heard about the kid and gave him a game used stick, and then he got to watch practice. Jason Blake skated around with the kid.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That kind of stuff happens a lot, it's just that not all teams are trolling for good PR the way the Leafs are.

I have a cousin who used to work for Colorado, and whenever they'd play in Toronto, I'd get a free ticket and the opportunity to go down to the dressing room after the game. The first time was awesome...the second time, some disabled kid was there to meet Patrick Roy. He got all the attention. <_<

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Sorry for mentioning my cousin twice in as many days, but this is simply outstanding.

He's currently coaching the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees in the CHL...they've been doing terribly, and I found this transcript of him being interviewed on a pre-game show a few weeks ago.

"Jeff was outstanding. The shot total was nowhere near that. You know me, I watch the game film and I actually kept track (until) a certain point. I didn't bother (and gave up) because the video was so bad. It was probably in the 40 range, the 35 to 40 range. It's a joke. This league is a joke with some of the stuff that happens. You know my feelings on ... I don't want to say the officiating because I'll get fined if somebody's listening. Right from A to Z, there's a lot of things that irritate me. And that's a joke. It makes us look like we're a (bleep) defensive team and that's not true at all. It's unacceptable for that kind of stuff to continually happen. People back home know (bleep) what kind of performance was the team and it's nowhere near accurate. And I'd love to have an hour to talk with you about stuff like that because it's really starting to irritate me."

Blah.

Oh, and the "Hockey Fights Cancer" auctions on the NHL site are amazing. Some really cool stuff. From the looks of it, a ton of money will be raised. An autographed game worn Ovechkin jersey is currently sitting at more then $7000. And this is an auction. People have bid it up that high.

I hate how they "fancied up" the skills competition. It makes it too convuluted and shit for me to really care about. Sure, I'll be watching, but I'll probably be drunk and only half paying attention. The competition from the pre-Lockout days was perfectly fine. Maybe some new events should have been added, but they don't need to be complicated as high fuck.

The All-Star Game... ugh... probably drunk again and half paying attention. The best players from each conference aren't represented anymore. It's more of a popularity contest than it is a showcasing of the game's best players.

They need to go back to making it the best players from each conference... and to add incentive for them to actually go out and play like the game matters... why not have the winning conference win home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals?

Baseball incorporates that idea into their All-Star game, and it makes it seem a lot more important than the NHL's.

I hate how they "fancied up" the skills competition. It makes it too convuluted and shit for me to really care about. Sure, I'll be watching, but I'll probably be drunk and only half paying attention. The competition from the pre-Lockout days was perfectly fine. Maybe some new events should have been added, but they don't need to be complicated as high fuck.

The All-Star Game... ugh... probably drunk again and half paying attention. The best players from each conference aren't represented anymore. It's more of a popularity contest than it is a showcasing of the game's best players.

They need to go back to making it the best players from each conference... and to add incentive for them to actually go out and play like the game matters... why not have the winning conference win home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals?

Baseball incorporates that idea into their All-Star game, and it makes it seem a lot more important than the NHL's.

no, no, no. That is a fucking awful idea. The teams should actually earn home ice/field. The All-Star game should never have regular season implications.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Anyone else watch the skills competition? (I'm done now, I have no desire to see Bettman answer the same questions the same way he always does.)

The breakaway challenge was a great edition, and I think now that the players know what to expect, it'll just get more and more entertaining for the next few years, much like the NBA slam dunk competition.

Didn't really pay much attention to the Youngstars game, although David Clarkson was part of that dream team we assembled in Kitchener a few years ago, so nice to see him getting accolades.

Everything else seemed about normal for a skills competition...fun diversion, nothing too amazing.

Favourite part was seeing Scott Oake interviewing Getzlaf (I think), get halfway through his question, and suddenly they both look stage left, where Pronger fell to the ice after attempting to skate in front of the interview. Close runner-up is the interview with Ovechkin after the breakaway challenge, where the questions he asked and the answers he gave didn't link up at all.