2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I want it to go...

Montreal beats Toronto silly, so badly. I mean it doesn't have to be 8-0, shit it could be 1-0 but I just want Montreal to assert themselves and dominate for 60 minutes.

Florida is to beat Ottawa... but only in overtime or a shootout.

Then the stage is set. Montreal and Ottawa, tied for most points in the Eastern Conference, in Ottawa. A Habs team nobody expected to make the playoffs is now challenging for the top playoff spot. They're flying high and rolling into Ottawa on the strength wins against Ottawa and bitter foe Toronto.

Ottawa is down for the count, but that's what makes them dangerous in this game. Winners of only 3 in their last 12 at this point, they very suddenly have something to prove. Captail Alfredsson is back in the line-up and the Sens are ready to prove on home ice that nobody is better than them in the East.

The game would no doubt be incredible. Possibly a GOTY candidate if they both play as best a game as they can. With Heatley still out, but riding high on emotion Ottawa is the still the superior club. But the Kovalev-Kostitsyn-Plekanec line has been one of the most electrifying lines in the league since Christmas. Only one player on the Habs is not pulling his weight right now as the whole team is firing on all cylenders.

In an ideal world this entire situation would play out as I just described it. The game would be won in Overtime by the Habs(OT wins I find to be more meaningful).

*sigh*

A Man Can Dream...

To be honest I'd love for it to happen, but I just can't see the Habs overtaking the #1 team in the East.

Don't forget Vancouver. The Canucks are still in the hunt as well... and with so many of his fellow Swedes on their roster, I wouldn't rule out seeing Forsberg there as a legitimate possibility. They could have an All-Swede Powerplay unit with Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Markus Naslund, Alex Edler and Peter Forsberg.

I really hope he goes to an Eastern conference team though. If he went to Vancouver, we'd have to deal with him more, being in the Northwest Division.

THEEEEEOOOOOOOO :wub: I am so excited by this patch of good play...it's been more than I expected since we traded for him. Maybe he's woken up and realised that he'd REALLY like a job next year <_ i say we sign him to one-year contracts and keep hungry for it he seems play better that way.>

Edited by Plubby

The Leafs are already full of depth. If you took their rosters from the start of the season, the Maple Leafs and the Marlies, and made them play a best of seven series, the Marlies would easily have taken them to six.

For Toronto, it's not about depth. Everyone makes a big deal about Stamkos and Tavares, but the odds of them being able to have an impact like a Sidney Crosby or even Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews is slim to none. Toronto has depth already anyways.

What they need to do is separate the players who are going to give 100% every night, from the guys who aren't pulling their weight. The young guys in the organization are going out and playing like there's no tomorrow... and an okay player, who's playing to the best of his abilities, is much more valuable than a superstar player who only shows up every four or five games.

They need to cut the dead weight, promote from within, and take what they can get in terms of draft picks in exchange for their big money low production players.

The Leafs are already full of depth. If you took their rosters from the start of the season, the Maple Leafs and the Marlies, and made them play a best of seven series, the Marlies would easily have taken them to six.

For Toronto, it's not about depth. Everyone makes a big deal about Stamkos and Tavares, but the odds of them being able to have an impact like a Sidney Crosby or even Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews is slim to none. Toronto has depth already anyways.

What they need to do is separate the players who are going to give 100% every night, from the guys who aren't pulling their weight. The young guys in the organization are going out and playing like there's no tomorrow... and an okay player, who's playing to the best of his abilities, is much more valuable than a superstar player who only shows up every four or five games.

They need to cut the dead weight, promote from within, and take what they can get in terms of draft picks in exchange for their big money low production players.

Yes, but they can find that in any round of the draft. It doesn't need to be anyone in particular.

I legitimately believe that a Marlies squad playing to their full potential could stand their own against the Leafs the way they've been playing this year. Absolutely no heart when it matters.

Yes, but they can find that in any round of the draft. It doesn't need to be anyone in particular.

I legitimately believe that a Marlies squad playing to their full potential could stand their own against the Leafs the way they've been playing this year. Absolutely no heart when it matters.

Edited by Toe