2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And given the handfuls of pies MLSE has its financial fingers in, wouldn't something that will make them a lot of money be best left alone, while the organization spends more money/effort on the Raptors, the real estate, and other things that actually need some financial stimulant? The Raptors will be lucky to match NBA-average attendance if they're not good, the Leafs will sell out every game regardless. If you're MLSE, and know that the Leafs will make money regardless of how well they're doing, wouldn't you rather keep the team run as cheaply as possible?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when has the problem with MLSE been that they don't spend enough? The problem is overspending on the free agent market and trading away prospects and picks in the pursuit of 8th place. Scottie Bowman isn't an expensive solution, he's just an uncomfortable one. And running right up around the salary cap only to miss the playoffs and lose a minimum of two post-season home games doesn't sound financially efficient to me. Even at their own bottom line end-game, they're failing. Since when does a more of the same solution sound like a good idea?

I think the reason they hired JFJ was because many people thought he had a bright future. Brian Burke said that he had a good hockey mind a few years back. His tenure has not been good though. No matter who comes in, getting out of this mess will be hard. Tucker, Kubina, Blake. They are all getting a lot of money and right now don't have a ton of value (although I think Kubina could easily be a top pairing guy on a different team). We have a lot of money tied up in goaltending next year, and Raycroft literally is worthless to other teams. When your best move is picking up a guy off waivers (Kilger), you know your in trouble.

The reason I think MLSE are moving slowly is that they do not want to make the same mistake. They have learned with the Raptors that you need to take your time and hire the right person. I doubt Ferguson has any power to do anything right now anyways.

People say they have no incentive for the team to do better, but if making money is the bottom line, then having a long playoff run every season is neccessary to maximize the amount the team makes.

He never has been that pure goal scorer though. He did score 40 goals (for the first time in his career) last season, but I don't think he has even played the same way as he did last year.

Last off-season. If your looking for a goal scorer to play with Sundin, and you have a choice between Paul Kariya and Jason Blake, who do you pick? I don't know how Kariya has done this season so far, but he has a track record as someone who can consistently score. Blake was supposed to be a more grittier, agitating player who can score a bunch, but he hasn't played with any edge. He rarely goes full speed to the net like he did last season with the Islanders.

Edited by Toe

I like how everyone wrote off the Habs this year because we lost Souray and it was impossible to think that with a team where most of the players are under 25, that some may develop from year to year. It's fun to forever be the underdog, while we really sucked a dick in New York the other night... quite possibly our worst game of the year, it was also our first regulation loss in 8 games, so while you never want to lose, and losing like that really makes you embarrassed to cheer for the team, we've had a pretty good season so far... especially considering that nobody predicted us to be anywhere near the playoff picture.

The Avs won back to back games, shock.

What's up with the scheduling though? Washington played once (Wednesday) in the last 8 days or something, yet Colorado had to fly to Detroit and lose Tuesday night, then fly to Washington and lose Wednesday night. Few days off till Saturday when they play the Hurricanes, and then fly to Florida for the Panthers game Sunday night. Two sets of back-to-back games, and all four on the road, what the hell?

So Curtis Joseph signed with Calgary. He'll make $650,000 for the rest of the season, and play 2 or 3 games... :shifty:

I wish I could make money that easily.

The way Keenan is, I think Cujo will play more. He always has his goalies on a short leash, and they will want to keep Kipper from being tired come playoff time. Joseph will get probably 10 starts, and I could see him getting into 3 or 4 more games.

Habs bounce back from their worst game of the year with a pretty complete effort. We held them to 17 shots, only 1 shot in the first period. We scored 3, easily could have been 7 with some of the chances we had. Kovalev - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn continue to be the best line on the team. Pleks nets 2 goals, Kovalev a goal and an assist, Kostitsyn surprisingly threw the biggest hit I've seen in a little while and in the last 3 minutes of the game this line... especially Kovalev on the forecheck made it so that the Islanders couldn't even get out of their own zone to put pressure on Huet. In all, another solid game by the Habs who, since the x-mas break when Carbo made some dandy line changes and call ups etc are 6-1-2, points in 8 of 9 games is pretty sweet.