2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Washington, LA and Phoenix are 1, 2, 3 in terms of who would get him if they claimed him. All three teams could use a veteran presence like Recchi. Honestly, I think if Phoenix got him, that would be tremendous. I think he could be productive there, and help bring along the younger guys.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington, LA and Phoenix are 1, 2, 3 in terms of who would get him if they claimed him. All three teams could use a veteran presence like Recchi. Honestly, I think if Phoenix got him, that would be tremendous. I think he could be productive there, and help bring along the younger guys.

Toronto's at 500 for the first time since late October. A nice little winning streak y'all have put together. What I don't understand is why TSN is pretty much calling the Leafs the best team in the league because they won 4 in a row...

Montreal finally fucking snaps their 3 game losing streak. I guess X-mas came early this year because we played only 500 in November and have sucked nuts in December... reminds me of oh... the last two seasons we played. Let's not fuck it up this year.

Higgy had a 3 point night, that was good. O'Byrne had 2 assists and was a force on D in his NHL Debut... he's gotta be in the line-up saturday. Price played well enough to give us the chance to win and I'm happy we did. Also, Reich, who's what 6'1 and about 205 pounds got fucked up by Bouillon... who's like 5'8 and 170 or so.

Toronto's at 500 for the first time since late October. A nice little winning streak y'all have put together. What I don't understand is why TSN is pretty much calling the Leafs the best team in the league because they won 4 in a row...

Montreal finally fucking snaps their 3 game losing streak. I guess X-mas came early this year because we played only 500 in November and have sucked nuts in December... reminds me of oh... the last two seasons we played. Let's not fuck it up this year.

Higgy had a 3 point night, that was good. O'Byrne had 2 assists and was a force on D in his NHL Debut... he's gotta be in the line-up saturday. Price played well enough to give us the chance to win and I'm happy we did. Also, Reich, who's what 6'1 and about 205 pounds got fucked up by Bouillon... who's like 5'8 and 170 or so.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

On an unrelated note, CBC has found proof that Crawford told his players that Steve Moore "must pay the price". Idiot.

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Having met Crawford, Bertuzzi, and Moore, I have a hard time laying blame in this situation, but for the time being, I'm still not completely excusing Crawford (Y)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

While I agree that he's setting a dangerous precedent, I don't agree that he should "shut the fuck up". Even if he would have never been more than a third-line player (which is altogether likely), he'd have still been able to make a few million dollars over the course of his NHL career - which thanks to Bertuzzi, he can't. And since he's Harvard-educated, he's smart enough to realize it.

What happened to him was unfortunate... and something should be done to correct it, yes...

What I would propose is this: Steve Moore was what, perhaps 1/4 the player Todd Bertuzzi is or was? So why not rule that Bertuzzi must pay 1/4 of his NHL earnings to Moore? Backpay included.

I say this, only because I understand that having your livelihood taken away from you, even if it's not the only thing you could have been doing, is crippling in several ways. Even if you can do something else post-incident, the will to just isn't there sometimes.

Moore should be compensated. It should be paid by Bertuzzi. How much he would have made is really a moot point. The NHL isn't responsible for one jackass thing. Todd Bertuzzi is the offender, and he should be the one who pays for it. Even if he was told to do it in the most blatant way possible, HE did it. Take a chunk of the money he's made and will make from the date of the incident onward, let Moore live a cozy life where he can try to find a career if he so chooses, and if he's not satisfied with anything else... let him spend his time, financially comfortable, watching hockey games and having a family, or whatever else he might do.

What happened to him was unfortunate... and something should be done to correct it, yes...

What I would propose is this: Steve Moore was what, perhaps 1/4 the player Todd Bertuzzi is or was? So why not rule that Bertuzzi must pay 1/4 of his NHL earnings to Moore? Backpay included.

I say this, only because I understand that having your livelihood taken away from you, even if it's not the only thing you could have been doing, is crippling in several ways. Even if you can do something else post-incident, the will to just isn't there sometimes.

Moore should be compensated. It should be paid by Bertuzzi. How much he would have made is really a moot point. The NHL isn't responsible for one jackass thing. Todd Bertuzzi is the offender, and he should be the one who pays for it. Even if he was told to do it in the most blatant way possible, HE did it. Take a chunk of the money he's made and will make from the date of the incident onward, let Moore live a cozy life where he can try to find a career if he so chooses, and if he's not satisfied with anything else... let him spend his time, financially comfortable, watching hockey games and having a family, or whatever else he might do.

While I feel, given the circumstances, this is a great idea it creates a very slippery slope. My worry is that players who just pick up normal career-ending injuries will ask for compensation because _____ did ______ that caused their knee to rip to shreds. I'll change sports for a good example. In the NFL, we hear about these career-ending neck injuries every so often. If one player tackled another player, and he landed awkwardly on his head causing his spinal chord to snap, would it be right for the tackler to have to pay the other player? My worry is that something like this sets a precedent which could lead to athletes trying to pry as much money out of other players as possible. Regardless of the circumstances, but just because they feel like they can.