2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leafs fans rejoice! John Ferguson will be getting the axe (FINALLY) soon.

This could be John Ferguson's last week as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Or possibly his last day

I thought, I can't be this lucky, so I went to check out TSN.ca, and well, it looks like he is finished.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=223731&hubname=nhl

In the meantime, though, the word emanating out of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment's headquarters is that they are perhaps looking at a new model - a re-invention of the managerial position with a committee of high profile ex-players, from Mark Messier to Ron Francis to Steve Yzerman to Glenn Healy running the show.

I wouldn't mind any of those, I really wouldn't. Maybe now things will get better.

Leafs fans rejoice! John Ferguson will be getting the axe (FINALLY) soon.

This could be John Ferguson's last week as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Or possibly his last day

I thought, I can't be this lucky, so I went to check out TSN.ca, and well, it looks like he is finished.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=223731&hubname=nhl

In the meantime, though, the word emanating out of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment's headquarters is that they are perhaps looking at a new model - a re-invention of the managerial position with a committee of high profile ex-players, from Mark Messier to Ron Francis to Steve Yzerman to Glenn Healy running the show.

Fuck off, Koivu can take down Antropov on a scoring chance but McCabe can't run Latendresse against the boards as the puck goes? McCabe deserved one but it wouldn't have happened if they called the first one.

And why the fuck is Woznieski on the fucking ice during a penalty kill? Actually why is he on the ice in general?

Edited by Clawson

There's been a ton of non calls on chippy play... mostly from whatsnewsski or whatever his inept name is.

Good on mats for 400 for the leafs, but you'd think that it would have happened for a player in Toronto by now, it is the second most sucessful franchise...

BELARUS! PRICE! WIN!

I think the league made the ot/so loss point just for Toronto... they had what like 13 last year and 6 already this year.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

There's been a ton of non calls on chippy play... mostly from whatsnewsski or whatever his inept name is.

Good on mats for 400 for the leafs, but you'd think that it would have happened for a player in Toronto by now, it is the second most sucessful franchise...

BELARUS! PRICE! WIN!

I think the league made the ot/so loss point just for Toronto... they had what like 13 last year and 6 already this year.

They CAN'T keep Ferguson now, regardless of tonight's bitch point performance. It's out in the open, Peddy regrets hiring him. How can they possibly keep him around now that it's publicly known he doesn't have the support of the president?

Time for the broom. Get another GM in place, and let him decide the fate of Paul Maurice. More importantly, get the board of executives to butt the fuck out of the day to day operations and let the new GM rebuild the franchise. I really hope the last few seasons have made it abundantly clear to MLSE that rebuilding isn't going to work through the free agent market. I doubt we're going to find any takers for Kubina, but I fully support making him the highest paid AHL player if it gives us some lee-way in the off season to at least take some lower-priced risks. Basically this team has an opportunity, which involves rebuilding towards 2011, when we can get the Tucker, McCabe, Kubina and Blake contracts off the books. At the same time some high draft picks, should we retain them and not trade them off to make this team 2/3 goalies, could be panning out if we don't draft the usual stinkers. If the Leafs want to win in the long run, it's time to stop playing for 8th.

http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-file...anChillcast.mp3

That's a leafs chill cast as it were. I thought it was pretty funny. I want one in french for the Habs.

I have to say, the ACC sounds like a really quiet building on TV. I thought maybe TSN turns the crowd down a lot more than RDS or something, but on both stations it sounded meh. What gives Toronto? you've got some the best fans out there but I'll bet a game in Nashville or Chicano is livelier.

Haha, he really does try to make everyone happy. I know that the fans and the city embrace him completly, I mean shit, he comes in to collect money from me once every 3 months, but damn, some people really get on him about the french(read the french media who don't know fuck all), but yeah, his pronounciation sucks...

I have to say, the ACC sounds like a really quiet building on TV. I thought maybe TSN turns the crowd down a lot more than RDS or something, but on both stations it sounded meh. What gives Toronto? you've got some the best fans out there but I'll bet a game in Nashville or Chicano is livelier.

I'm glad they're changing the schedule.

Divisional play should be most important, with inter-divisional same-conference being next on the list... but each team should play every team in the league at least once a year. If it's only once a year, alternate who gets the home game, and everything's good. It's just ridiculous if you get to the stanley cup finals and the teams haven't played each other for five years.

Ottawa's making it look like their downfall has been a goaltending issue, which is complete bullshit. The entire team is playing like crap right now.

They need to decide who's going to be their number one goalie and run with it. I don't care if it's Emery or Gerber... or if they get rid of them both and go with someone else. They need to decide, because it's impossible for a goalie to gain any confidence and momentum when he's constantly in fear that he'll lose his job. Especially when the team in front of him plays like a bunch of zombies with occasional flashes of their humanity.

They pulled Gerber after the first because they were down... they put Emery in, and the team still sucked to high shit. Pick one, give the other an opportunity with another team, and if you continue to fail, then at least you gave your goaltender a chance.