2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've been this frustrated as a Leafs fan ever. I'm a diehard supporter and if this team ever wins the Cup in my lifetime, I'll cry out of joy for weeks, but even I will admit the Toronto Maple Leafs have been become the one of the NHL's premier staples of mediocrity. The sad thing is nobody in the organization above JF Jr. give two shits because the Leafs franchise is a successful multimillion dollar business that will thrive even if the team ends up on the outside looking in on the East. Granted I was never around during the Ballard era and the fond memories of playoff success aren't that far behind, but this is fucked up. There is no bright light, no sign this team is going to turn around and become a consistent force, there is no motivation, the morale surrounding them is shit, nobody seems to respect Paul Maurice, and guess what, the fans aren't going to stop shitting all of them until there is some sign that this team is going places. It's not even like this team can't make it into the playoffs as is, they can hang with the best of teams, then they play shit-squads the next night and look like they just don't care and lose. The fucked up thing is that they beat the best teams ON THE ROAD and get whooped by the teams they should beat AT HOME. This isn't something new either, they've been doing this for a few years now. Lowering or raising themselves to the level of their opponents on any given night. Its like they need to against the odds to win. Oh but don't worry, they'll be making that late press for 8th place come March, which for some reason they become a team possessed.

There is a reason I don't come in here, I'm overly passionate about my team and usually when I read something I don't agree with or that pisses me off, I get steamed. But this time I bringing it myself. I'm not one of the fans you hear on the radio who say "Bryan McCabe should be wearing an opposing team's jersey", "Raycroft is shit", or "trade Mats Sundin". Those folk are nothing more than sheep that don't even pay attention to the actual games, just get their opinions from the stats and from fellow armchair and barstool analysts. I personally think the team itself can at least make it into the playoffs, but they aren't giving any signs that they want to be there and I'm sick of them settling for the bare minimum of standards until the playoff race gets down to the nitty-gritty. On the flipside, any fan that is drinking the MLSE Kool-Aid is retarded.

I don't think I've been this frustrated as a Leafs fan ever. I'm a diehard supporter and if this team ever wins the Cup in my lifetime, I'll cry out of joy for weeks, but even I will admit the Toronto Maple Leafs have been become the one of the NHL's premier staples of mediocrity. The sad thing is nobody in the organization above JF Jr. give two shits because the Leafs franchise is a successful multimillion dollar business that will thrive even if the team ends up on the outside looking in on the East. Granted I was never around during the Ballard era and the fond memories of playoff success aren't that far behind, but this is fucked up. There is no bright light, no sign this team is going to turn around and become a consistent force, there is no motivation, the morale surrounding them is shit, nobody seems to respect Paul Maurice, and guess what, the fans aren't going to stop shitting all of them until there is some sign that this team is going places. It's not even like this team can't make it into the playoffs as is, they can hang with the best of teams, then they play shit-squads the next night and look like they just don't care and lose. The fucked up thing is that they beat the best teams ON THE ROAD and get whooped by the teams they should beat AT HOME. This isn't something new either, they've been doing this for a few years now. Lowering or raising themselves to the level of their opponents on any given night. Its like they need to against the odds to win. Oh but don't worry, they'll be making that late press for 8th place come March, which for some reason they become a team possessed.

There is a reason I don't come in here, I'm overly passionate about my team and usually when I read something I don't agree with or that pisses me off, I get steamed. But this time I bringing it myself. I'm not one of the fans you hear on the radio who say "Bryan McCabe should be wearing an opposing team's jersey", "Raycroft is shit", or "trade Mats Sundin". Those folk are nothing more than sheep that don't even pay attention to the actual games, just get their opinions from the stats and from fellow armchair and barstool analysts. I personally think the team itself can at least make it into the playoffs, but they aren't giving any signs that they want to be there and I'm sick of them settling for the bare minimum of standards until the playoff race gets down to the nitty-gritty. On the flipside, any fan that is drinking the MLSE Kool-Aid is retarded.

I agree about the injuries, but even with injuries they have shown that they can play playoff caliber teams hard and even win. They get bitten by the injury bug hard at certain times every year. And you know what? In seasons past the Leafs seem to play their hardest when the lineup is depleted and they almost rally around the fact they must work their ass of to prove themselves. Unless it's Mats that is injured. That's the real bad omen every year. Obviously you can't replace a catalyst like Tucker or a high energy playmaker like Wellwood, but they've shown they can go toe to toe with great teams despite injuries to key players. There is no excuse for some of a lot of their losses when they look like they are just going through the motions. The defense is the big thing that's killing them, depleted right now, not even a deep defense when they are healthy, but even they have shown that they are able to make the adjustments to outweigh their shortcomings when it matters (sans the third period, which no matter how good the d has played up to that point, they fall asleep in). Maybe Paul should start emphasizing the importantance of effective backchecking while he still has a job.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'm not one of the fans you hear on the radio who say "Bryan McCabe should be wearing an opposing team's jersey", "Raycroft is shit", or "trade Mats Sundin". Those folk are nothing more than sheep that don't even pay attention to the actual games, just get their opinions from the stats and from fellow armchair and barstool analysts.

That's more to the point of why this team needs an overhaul up top. You can't explain how a team can be so effective for 40 minutes and just completely give games away in the third without the coach. You can't explain why we got locked into these ridiculous contracts to Tucker, Blake, McCabe and Kubina without the GM. But you also can't explain how these people got their jobs in the first place without the President. You're totally right that this team has become a long-term staple of mediocrity. Maybe it's time that there's a major shift away from the free agent buys and quick fixes towards better scouting, drafting and some patience in letting the team rebuild itself long term. And to do that, sure you might have to fire Paul Maurice, and JFJ almost definitely has to go but I hate that, for the most part, Richard Peddie has gotten off so easily.

I hated the move for Toskala, put simply. One, I was never on the anti-Raycroft bandwagon, because all he needed was help from his defense to become the #1 we all knew he could be; two, it shoved us right against the cap by forcing us to take a forward who couldn't play for 15 games and was horribly inconsistent last season; and three, we gave up the chance to take Esposito or Cherepanov. Unless Toskala becomes pre-this season Marty Brodeur, it will go into the books as a horrible decision.

That was a super fun game last night. It sucks that the Habs lost, obviously because I'm a Habs fan and also because the first two Toronto goals were really weak goals, I mean, one was a floater that somehow went in the net, and the other was Dandenault pulling a McCabe... well with his skates.

The game winner was a really nice goal so it's not so bad. I thought that as far as possession it was pretty even, but Montreal clearly had far more quality scoring chances. I mean Toronto had a few, notably when Poni stripped Huet behind the net but now is working on his backhand shot because he completely missed the net. Also, Blake's partial break on Huet was exciting as hell.

Toskala was once again the difference maker, he made some incredible saves, and Montreal blew a lot of big chances.

I though the game had a ton of non-calls for both teams. There were what? 3 penalties all game, I mean there was a lot of holding and a ton of tripping from the Toronto defence, but Montreal was really getting their elbows up (notably Kostitsyn launching himself at a Toronto player elbowing him in the head). Montreal was also doing a lot of late hitting.

The only thing that really bothered me was I think it was Sundin who after a Montreal play that ended up with a Toskala save, Kostopolous who was skating away and not even facing him was cross checked from behind at least 3 seconds after the whistle. That was just dirty.

In all a great game, it took me an hour to get home because all the Leafers were trying to get home and were clogging up the streets with their Ontario license plates.

I really feel like Montreal got robbed of a point, it was a great back and forth game, but Montreal had at least double the quality scoring chances of Toronto.

This came down to goalies and chances. Montreal had a lot of quality chances, but they also had a lot of plays that could have been quality chances but a pass was too far ahead or a stick wasn't on the ice. Toronto didn't have many chances, but they got the puck on the net when they did.

Montreal scored both goals after they had a decent possession in the Toronto zone, all three of Toronto's goals came while they were trying to set up in the zone. Even the third goal, I don't think anybody thought it was going in the net, but it did.

Toskala totally outplayed Huet as the two teams played a well matched game(which no offense to Toronto fans, but that should be a warning to the Habs that they need to pick it back up).

Oh well, next time I guess... Montreal really could have used the two points. They came into the game with the third most points in the league.

Yeah, Basha, the refs made me laugh my ass off in that game. Let everything go the whole game then decide to call something with 5 seconds left and the game basically done. Fun times for all.

And we deserve the win based on one face: Hal Gill had a partial breakaway. Hal fucking Gill.

Edited by Clawson

That was a super fun game last night. It sucks that the Habs lost, obviously because I'm a Habs fan and also because the first two Toronto goals were really weak goals, I mean, one was a floater that somehow went in the net, and the other was Dandenault pulling a McCabe... well with his skates.

The game winner was a really nice goal so it's not so bad. I thought that as far as possession it was pretty even, but Montreal clearly had far more quality scoring chances. I mean Toronto had a few, notably when Poni stripped Huet behind the net but now is working on his backhand shot because he completely missed the net. Also, Blake's partial break on Huet was exciting as hell.

Toskala was once again the difference maker, he made some incredible saves, and Montreal blew a lot of big chances.

I though the game had a ton of non-calls for both teams. There were what? 3 penalties all game, I mean there was a lot of holding and a ton of tripping from the Toronto defence, but Montreal was really getting their elbows up (notably Kostitsyn launching himself at a Toronto player elbowing him in the head). Montreal was also doing a lot of late hitting.

The only thing that really bothered me was I think it was Sundin who after a Montreal play that ended up with a Toskala save, Kostopolous who was skating away and not even facing him was cross checked from behind at least 3 seconds after the whistle. That was just dirty.

In all a great game, it took me an hour to get home because all the Leafers were trying to get home and were clogging up the streets with their Ontario license plates.

I really feel like Montreal got robbed of a point, it was a great back and forth game, but Montreal had at least double the quality scoring chances of Toronto.

This came down to goalies and chances. Montreal had a lot of quality chances, but they also had a lot of plays that could have been quality chances but a pass was too far ahead or a stick wasn't on the ice. Toronto didn't have many chances, but they got the puck on the net when they did.

Montreal scored both goals after they had a decent possession in the Toronto zone, all three of Toronto's goals came while they were trying to set up in the zone. Even the third goal, I don't think anybody thought it was going in the net, but it did.

Toskala totally outplayed Huet as the two teams played a well matched game(which no offense to Toronto fans, but that should be a warning to the Habs that they need to pick it back up).

Oh well, next time I guess... Montreal really could have used the two points. They came into the game with the third most points in the league.

I am in a mood now where I don't want to watch another Leafs game this season. It's 5 to 1 Ottawa, and Toronto hasn't done anything except score one powerplay goal in seven powerplays. Kyle Wellwood has looked good in his season debut - everything else has been awful shit.

So...after his performances this season, Jose Theodore is giving us signs that he's...well, still breathing.

If anyone's seen anything more than highlights of any of the Avs' two goalies this season, who would you play if you were Joel Quenneville? Or would you continue the splitting games thing?

Edited by Plubby

So someone on ESPN.com threw up an opinion piece about what the Senators should do to ensure a Stanley Cup.

His solution was not to try and sign Peter Forsberg, but instead to try and trade for Mats Sundin. He claims this give the Senators 2 effective scoring lines and allows the Leafs to start rebuilding, something they obviously need to do

Thoughts?