2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Winning like that, coming back from being down by two after the first to win it late, builds some confidence for a hockey team that really needs some.

Bryan McCabe had a good game, Nik Antropov was clutch, Vesa Toskala made some huge saves and FINALLY held a team to less then four goals, and Mats Sundin had some timely assists (especially on McCabe's powerplay goal).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thrashers win, Thrashers win! Spanked the Rangers in the first, nearly gave it away, but managed to hold on for a 5-3 victory. Was kinda nervous with the Lehtnonen injury early on, but hopefully this means the team's not a complete loss.

I know they're not a complete pile of poo, but just realize that what VerbalPuke is to the Lions, I am to the Thrashers (only I don't post during the games for that reason.) There's plenty of offense to be had, but the defense is lacking and they fold when opponents grab the lead first. If that last part can change, we can at least squeak into the playoffs.

So, I've decided I will make a bold attempt to watch hockey this season, being that I just found I get the NHL network, and Versus, which should allow me to catch most of the stuff when I'm at home this winter. Plus I'm doing a marketing creativity project focusing on how to make the NHL more popular (go ahead and give me ideas)

That being said, if I'm gonna watch hockey, I'm going to need to pick a team to support. I've thought alot about it, I even made a spreadsheet, and while I'm sure a good lot of you would want me to support your beloved Toronto Maple Leafs, I shall not. I'm American and thus I'll support an American team. I'm from New England and that makes the Bruins my "hometown" team, but ew...I'm not throwing my support behind a team who's owner detested and alienating the fan base. Thus I will move to the next closest area of hockey teams and declare that I will now support....

1695.gif

The New York Islanders!

This is support will be transfered over to the Hartford Whalers if they ever return.

Since I go to school in Providence, I'll also support the Providence Bruins if I get around to it.

Proceed with praising/mocking my decision and/or Rick DiPietro's enormous contract

The Isles and the Blackhawks have always been two teams that I just can't help but cheer for.

Montreal will look for their first home victory tonight as they take on the 3-3-0 Sabres tonight. Kovalev who has never had a good relationship with the media or coaches in Montreal is probably very surprised this morning. After the loss to the Panthers, he basically said that he felt that Montreal should have taken a time out in the last minute to get the best players for the PK out on the ice for the 6 on 4. Carbo said that he felt that Kovalev should speak to the coaches about what he feels rather than spout off to the media. The Media... well the French Media jumped all over Kovalev for it. The Gazette was actually objective for once and just more or less reported the facts. This morning, front page of the sports section is all praise for Kovalev for saying what he(and just about eveyone else) thinks was the right thing to do. They're saying that it takes some amount of balls to just up and say it. Now whether anyone agrees or not. He is so far having a good season this year and if anything needs to change, it's Carbo. I like his style of play on the ice, but I hate how every game he juggles the lines.

Is there any way to get an idea of the general starting lines? I know they can change and that, but all I can find on the Avalanche site is a list of forwards and defenders, and I've not been able to see a game so far (didn't know the opener against Dallas was on, but I've got reminders and DVR set for the Oilers game this week). I'm assuming Sakic, Smyth and Brunette are the first line, Hejduk, Stastny and Arnason or Wolski are second? And then, I'm kind of drawing a blank.

Plubby, it was a 6-1 game where our 4th line made a very very pretty passing play on a 2 on 1 for a goal. You gotta believe that it's DOMINATION!

Montreal takes it to Boston tonight. Wow. I was really surprised that Boston outshot Montreal 32-20 because Montreal just kept the pressure and the physical play up all night. Grabovsky got his first NHL goal which was really cool for him. Huet made some incredible saves when he needed too and it was an overall schalacking.

If any of you are able to get a replay of Markov's goal, tell me that, that isn't an awesome play. The Bruins try to clear it around the boards, Streit intercepts with a beauty pass between his legs to Koivu, he feeds a backhand pass to Markov who winds up, fakes the shot, steps around a defender, comes real close to the net and snipes it in top shelf over Fernandez's shoulder.

Figure I'd toss it here since it was a hockey question. Just won all this shit on Score Tonight Trivia.

This week's prizing:

Tonight's winner will receive a prize pack from the new RBK by Roger Edwards Collection

Prize pack includes:

CDN NHL team sueded fleece jacket, CDN NHL team long sleeve shirt, CDN NHL team cap.

(Please note: contestants can pick any of the 6 Canadian team logos.)

ARV: $185.00

Of course, it's all being emblazoned with the Leafs logo. Even though it was a question about Montreal and Boston. TIM MICALLEF SAID MY NAME :D

Figure I'd toss it here since it was a hockey question. Just won all this shit on Score Tonight Trivia.

This week's prizing:

Tonight's winner will receive a prize pack from the new RBK by Roger Edwards Collection

Prize pack includes:

CDN NHL team sueded fleece jacket, CDN NHL team long sleeve shirt, CDN NHL team cap.

(Please note: contestants can pick any of the 6 Canadian team logos.)

ARV: $185.00

Of course, it's all being emblazoned with the Leafs logo. Even though it was a question about Montreal and Boston. TIM MICALLEF SAID MY NAME :D