2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Cloutier is decent as a regular season goaltender, his main problems are choking in the playoffs and injuries. If you just look at his regular season numbers, he's generally mostly top ten, but he misses too many games, sucks in the playoffs, and has attitude issues. He can, maybe, if he stays healthy, get the team Los Angeles has to the playoffs, but I doubt it. They need a new, franchise style goalie, soonish.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Sensible Comment of The Off-Season: "We're going to make the playoffs, but nobody expects us to win the Stanley Cup." Saku Koivu, a rather good response to the playoff question as the entire league seems to think that Sheldon Souray was the only player on our team. Of course he's a big loss, but I'd take a defensively responsible defenseman on most days. We've got a great core of players and I'm honestly convinced that the Habs can place as high as 4th or 5th. Look at last year, we ran into a million roadblocks that led to our demise, I mean for a 4 week stretch we had 9 players being fed fluids via intravenous between periods so we could at least put a team on the ice.

Most Ridiculous Comment of the Off-Season: "We're going to make the playoffs and we're going to contend for the Stanley Cup." Paul Maurice, a rather strange response to the playoff question. Albeit the Maple Leafs made a big acquisition in Jason Blake, they still have the problem of not having a legit number one goalie. Now, I don't think that stops them from making the playoffs, I think they could end up as high as between 4-6, I lean more towards the 6 because Toronto had only 1 forward with more than 50 points and again it depends on the play of Raycroft, if he can buckle down and win a good amount of games without losing almost the same amount of games than I lean towards 4th. The reason I say the comment is ridiculous is because without a bonafide #1 goalie every night, you're going to get pole-axed in the playoffs.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

Most Sensible Comment of The Off-Season: "We're going to make the playoffs, but nobody expects us to win the Stanley Cup." Saku Koivu, a rather good response to the playoff question as the entire league seems to think that Sheldon Souray was the only player on our team. Of course he's a big loss, but I'd take a defensively responsible defenseman on most days. We've got a great core of players and I'm honestly convinced that the Habs can place as high as 4th or 5th. Look at last year, we ran into a million roadblocks that led to our demise, I mean for a 4 week stretch we had 9 players being fed fluids via intravenous between periods so we could at least put a team on the ice.

Most Ridiculous Comment of the Off-Season: "We're going to make the playoffs and we're going to contend for the Stanley Cup." Paul Maurice, a rather strange response to the playoff question. Albeit the Maple Leafs made a big acquisition in Jason Blake, they still have the problem of not having a legit number one goalie. Now, I don't think that stops them from making the playoffs, I think they could end up as high as between 4-6, I lean more towards the 6 because Toronto had only 1 forward with more than 50 points and again it depends on the play of Raycroft, if he can buckle down and win a good amount of games without losing almost the same amount of games than I lean towards 4th. The reason I say the comment is ridiculous is because without a bonafide #1 goalie every night, you're going to get pole-axed in the playoffs.

Well, everyone has a different opinion. I think the jersey is pretty good.

I hate how negative everyone in Southern Ontario is about the Leafs. They could have every spot filled with Ovechkin's and Crosby's and everyone in town would still be saying how bad they were. No one is ever positive about how the team will do, and that stretches back to before the lock-out. Not aimed at anyone here, just the Toronto newspapers and almost everyone I talk to.

Edited by Toe

The notion that the Canadiens even have a shot at making the playoffs single-handedly bumps Maurice's comment from most ridiculous.

Montreal is Edmonton, Version 2K7/2K8. Seriously...who do they have? WHO?!?!

I'm not just trying to rile you, Basha - I legitimately DO NOT see what the Habs have that gives you these ideas...

Edited by Plubby

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Well, everyone has a different opinion. I think the jersey is pretty good.

I hate how negative everyone in Southern Ontario is about the Leafs. They could have every spot filled with Ovechkin's and Crosby's and everyone in town would still be saying how bad they were. No one is ever positive about how the team will do, and that stretches back to before the lock-out. Not aimed at anyone here, just the Toronto newspapers and almost everyone I talk to.

The Habs have a strong goaltending duo and a third goalie trying to steal the #1 spot. They've got a core of young players who have gotten better each year they play and this year is expected to be a build on their break out year (Komisarek in particular) or to have a break out year (Higgins, Ryder, Plekanec, Latendresse). We've got some young players who have great skill sets and are likely to have a shot at the team to try and contribute (Both Kostitsyns, Grabovski, Chipchura). We have one veteran player who has put up career years in each of his last two seasons (Koivu), We've got another who's stated to the media that he wants to show everyone that he's far better than he showed last year (Kovalev) and we've got at least three great defensemen (Komi, Markov, Hamrlik) along with two or three more who really help to add some solid depth to our team(Streit, Dandenault, Bouillon).

So, while I wouldn't call Montreal a contender by any means, I think we have all the tools to finish at the very least in the top 6 in the East.

I am such the twelve year old girl. I just came back from the Habs training camp. Meg and I got there at 8:30, it started at 10. When we got there, we pulled into a spot and right next to us pulled up the Canadiens bus, we got out of the car and looking at me with my Koivu shirt on and a Habs baseball cap is Saku Koivu with an outstretched hand going thanks for comming out so early, I'm Saku and these are the Canadiens. I was then introduced to about 60 Habs players and hopefuls along with Carbo and Gainey. These were absolutely fantastic people. We got inside finally at about 9:15, we got the last front row seats and then about another 1,000 people all showed up and filled the arena and the area outside the arena where you can watch without being freezing. When the Habs took the ice, Michael Ryder noticed us sitting front row and waived at us then tried to toss his stick to Meg but it didn't clear the glass and the laughs were more than enough.

The game they played was awesome, big things look like they could happen for J.P. Cote, P.K. Subban, both Kostitsyns and Latendresse looked like a whole new player he was fast as lightning, had awesome hands, was throwing his weight around. He looks like he's going to be an impact player this year.

Kings update:

Labarbera surrendered 2 goals on 13 shots last night against the Ducks. Coming in midway through the game as his replacement was Jonathan Bernier, who held the defending Champions to just 1 goal on 17 shots.

Schneider and Bertuzzi both made their Anaheim debuts last night.

So if we're looking at pre-season performance only... the LA depth chart should be looking something like...

1. Bernier.

2. Aubin.

3. Labarbera.

4. Cloutier.

The Habs have a strong goaltending duo and a third goalie trying to steal the #1 spot. They've got a core of young players who have gotten better each year they play and this year is expected to be a build on their break out year (Komisarek in particular) or to have a break out year (Higgins, Ryder, Plekanec, Latendresse). We've got some young players who have great skill sets and are likely to have a shot at the team to try and contribute (Both Kostitsyns, Grabovski, Chipchura). We have one veteran player who has put up career years in each of his last two seasons (Koivu), We've got another who's stated to the media that he wants to show everyone that he's far better than he showed last year (Kovalev) and we've got at least three great defensemen (Komi, Markov, Hamrlik) along with two or three more who really help to add some solid depth to our team(Streit, Dandenault, Bouillon).

So, while I wouldn't call Montreal a contender by any means, I think we have all the tools to finish at the very least in the top 6 in the East.

Well last night Pittsburgh iced their NHL team with 2 rookies skating and kept Fleury in nets the whole game. We had 9 Vets playing and 11 rookies. We also had only 4 defensemen as 2 went down with injuries... or one went down with injuries the other had an unfortunate accident with an angry black man. So with basically Kovalev and Plekanec along with Murray as the only vets on our offensive line we bitchslapped Crosby.

Don't let the score fool you. Huet stoned the Pens for the first half and Danis let in 2 in the second half. Kovalev was on absolute fire last night embarassing the entire Pittsburgh team with his stickhandling abilities. If... and this is a HUUUUUGE if, but if he plays like this all year, he'll score 30 and have at least 75 points.

Montreal dresses a slightly more complete offensive line up tonight but a rookie defense and goalie line.