NHL 08 Vs. NHL 2K8

HeyThereVelvet

Roster update touted for late October release. Apparently it would have been earlier, but EA wanted to gauge rookie performance and make Stastny 99 and put up a bronzed monument to his sheer awesomeness on the main menu.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, and from what I can tell, it's pretty good, the Avs have Hlinka and Wyatt Smith back, although there are a couple of players messing up the lines because IRL they're injured (Skrastins, Leopold, Richardson). Cumiskey and Jillson's ratings are up so they can actually be used in the NHL, rather than AHL.

Anybody have any good CAP sites that they visit? There was a blog I used for my PS2 version, but it's down now. Since I'm having problems connecting to Xbox Live, I won't be able to download the roster updates, so I'll be doing it manually again.

BTW, I could probably get used to the skill stick... but I'm a grumpy 20 year-old who longs for the days of NHL 98.

Well, I think I just played my best game ever in my NHL history. Somehow I found myself down 4-1 to the Islanders (and my only goal thus far was a fluke when a rebound bounced off Wolski and in). Anyway as soon as they got the fourth goal I sent out the second line and in a span of a minute Wolski and Wellwood both bury highlight goals. Go into the third and Bell sets up Sundin for his 48th with another beauty then Wolski completes the hat trick off another nice pass from Welly. Sundin added an empty netter but I gotta say it's about fucking time I got production from a line other than my first.

I've updated the Kings and Canadiens rosters so far (including Manchester and Hamilton), but I got ancy and started a Habs dynasty after creating some players.

I've played two games as the Canadiens, losing 2 to 1 to Carolina in overtime, and then defeating Toronto 2 to 0 in an extremely tight game, where the 2nd goal was an empty netter. 3 Goals, 3 different Goal Scorers in Koivu, Smolinski and Higgins.

I lost 5-3 as Hamilton against Lake Erie. It was 2-0 after two periods, but I got into some penalty trouble and the Lake Erie shooters just completely overwhelmed Halak in net.

This is the definitive hockey game thus far. I'm still getting used to the new controls, but I don't honestly see myself ever winning 75-80 games a year by blowout scores... which was a major problem with the older games, even NHL 08 for PS2. Once you got used to the gameplay, it was almost impossible to lose even on the hardest difficulty.

I'm definately loving NHL 08 so far. Big thumbs up.

NHL 08, to me, actually is hard on the higher difficulties. It makes the game frustrating sometimes, but overall very fun.

The only thing I don't like is that, even with penalties on full, the computer only commits one a game on average, rarely do they ever take more then two.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I just destroyed Buffalo in the playoffs. 7-4, 10-3, 3-2(OT), 6-3. Sundin had 9 goals and 11 points and Stajan pulled off 5 goals and 3 assists. The best part though was in the 10-3 game Stajan and Mats put 3 shorthanded goals into the net.

It's weird that the sudden drop of difficulty just came along like that.

I've been playing on Pro because I still lose games that I don't even pick up any momentum in... but I've had a run of about 7 games where I scored at least 3 per game and won them all... so I upped it to All-Star and played a game as Hamilton... poor Danis got trampled and I lost 7-1. I had absolutely no chance of winning that game.

Do streaks of good fortune just happen randomly? Or am I at a point now where I'm too good for Pro, but shit at All-Star?