Football Manager 2008

Dan

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided to start a game as a jobless manager a few months ago, and its been pretty insane to be honest. Took over Bologna firstly after about 8 months (>_>), got them promoted, then expressed a slight interest in a Premiership job, where I got fired STRAIGHT AWAY for, even though we were about 11th in Serie A (god bless Diego Tristan). Then got a job at Rochdale with about 10 games left of the season and them in 23rd of Division 2. I JUST managed to get them to 21st and avoid the drop, but there board were still bitching and moaning, because for a division 2 side, Rochdale have some pretty swish players. A few free signings over the summer and I came 2nd in the league with Torquay (?!) coming 1st.

Mid-table finish in division 1 after some fucking solid midfield work (Signed a Roma player...somehow) combined with absolutely useless strikers. I then browsed the job list (cause seemingly, Im an unloyal fucker). And since by this time I had managed to get a pretty good reputation as a manager, I got a job at the illustrious club of Stoke City. And they were in the worst fucking financial trouble I have ever seen. They had a wage budget of about 200k, and they were 250K OVER IT. Loads of the players were unhappy and wanted to leave, and loads of the shitty players didnt like the level of competition in the club, due to the fact we had half of Englands footballers playing for us. So I sold a couple of (really fucking good) guys, and brought a few guys on a free. And the wage problem was still absolutely fucking massive, so I had to pool ALL my transfer funds just to keep us afloat with our completely weakened team. First game against Crystal Palace we won 1-0 somehow. Second game again Derby we lost 7-1. And in 3 years they want me to win Division 1. Yeah fucking right.

I've had a little side game as England in which i've done an average job, qualifications have been pissed through but come the actual tournament we've choked. We won our Euro 2008 group against France, Germany and Serbia but got put out by the Dutch. Somehow got into the Confederations Cup (I assume based on the fact I was #1 in the world, God knows how that happened) but upon having half my team wiped out I lost in the semis on penalties to Spain and got beat in the 3rd place playoff by Ivory Coast. Walked the 2010 qualification and won the group against Switzerland, Nigeria and Iran, beat Columbia in the 2nd round but lost on pens to France in the quarters.

Not content with the constant holidaying till next squad selection, I thought i'd dip my toes into club management as well but the only offers I ever got were seemingly the entire spectrum of clubs within the conference system and failing teams like Hartlepool. I have finally got an offer that has my interest, Coventry. 4th in League 1 just after January with 16 games left, just over 2.5m for transfers and a little breathing room in the wage bill.

Only trouble is that we don't really have the players to fit my evolved tactics. Over time as England I came to learn that my 4-4-1-1 became particulally potent with the strong Dean Ashton at the head of it with him being set to hold up the ball and recieve long kicks. Though, how much of this success was down to playing the likes of Lithuania is debatable. It's a few days before I can bring in a loan player, i'm looking at the aging Keven Davies.

So 4,5 years into my Atletico Madrid game FM decides to fuck around with me. It keeps crashing randomly ("crash dumps"). Now it wouldn't be bad if I had saved just before the crash, but noooo...an entire fuckin' month. Fuck. Also, yay, going to the Euro Cup 2012 as England coach (Giles Barnes ftw).

Something I've never quite been sure of...

If it's the January transfer window and you have a budget of £10m, and secure the transfer of a player costing most of that which won't go through until 1st July, it still says your transfer budget is £10m. If you buy another player during January, will then get to July for it to give you its "lol no" message about the transfer falling through because you lack the funds? ¬_¬

the same with monthly installments.

you have a deal where you pay 5m up front and 7.5 over 24 months, whilst you have a transfer kit of 10 million.

its says transfer cancelled due to insufficient funds... i mean wtf that is the main reason i use monthly installments! to get a player with money i dont have now but i do have over 24 months!

So FM 08 on the 360 is going well. I started unemployed, I was offered the job of Nigeria and decided to take it. I managed to get them in Semi-Final of the African Nations Cup, I lost 3-2 in the end.

I left after that game and took on the job at Norwich. I haven't played a game yet, but should do before the weekend.

For the PC. I'm at Blackburn and we are yet to get a win after six games, we have two points so far. <_<

Something I've never quite been sure of...

If it's the January transfer window and you have a budget of £10m, and secure the transfer of a player costing most of that which won't go through until 1st July, it still says your transfer budget is £10m. If you buy another player during January, will then get to July for it to give you its "lol no" message about the transfer falling through because you lack the funds? ¬_¬

the same with monthly installments.

I'm not really sure if you were answering my question or just adding to it... :shifty:

But yeah, if I could get some kind of definite confirmation from anybody, please. My Villa game/diary is kind of hanging on it, and searching through other SI/FM forums is useless.

When does the game do its 'reset' of your finances for the new season in the English league? Is it before July 1st? And if so, could I just spend all my money on the gamble that my new finances will have enough for the July 1st transfer to go through?

I'm just a mass of confusion, as of late. >_>

i think i'm not 100% correct that the finances would be done after 1st of July. It's normally around the time when the game recognizes that a new season begins so you'll get your fixtures list,TV money for the previous season etc etc. It's around the start of July

My game went corrupt, and I didn't feel like going back a year so I started a new game as Newcastle.

Though the biggest compliment to my MANAGING SKILLZ in my old game was when Riijkard left Barcelona to manage Palermo after I left, I built my children up into men. :'(

Anyways I took Ashley's cockney mafia money and bought Nihat and Coloccini, I'm at the September international break and I've won my first five games with a 4-3 shootout over Man City and a 1-0 last minute win over Pompey being the highlights.

I WILL BRING THIS TEAM GLORY.

I'm pretty sure June 25th is the when a new season begins, thats why season long loans always finish on the 24th.

Stok, if you still care it's actually June 20th.

Yay. >_>

Well, actually not yay. I'd opted to play it safe and continued on until 29th January, so the window's about to close anyway and I have no time to buy anyone. At least, no one who I've actually scouted...

Eh, I'll bid for a few anyway. ¬_¬

Susie's Newest LNC Fix! By me! :D

Needs feedback, tell me if there's anything wrong or that needs improvement.

Looking at the screenshots of that makes me feel that I need a snazzy new skin. Anyone have any skins they'd like to reccommend?

You can find a few nifty little skins, however the majority I've came over are average at best.

Siple Ultimate is fairly good - http://community.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?showtopic=26704

If that doesn't do it for ya, then just go to that forum and pick away.

Edited by Ringys LAAAAAAAAAAAAD