Football Manager 2008

Dan

Everyone feels like punching something every once in a while, like losing at home to Derby with Man United after 28 shots while they don't muster even 1 and win with an OG in the 94th minute.

If there was someone there I would've punched them

As the famous si forums would tell you, it's your tactics :P

Na that is so annoying, atleast in 09 the ass man will tell you why their keeper is playing like he is superman.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone feels like punching something every once in a while, like losing at home to Derby with Man United after 28 shots while they don't muster even 1 and win with an OG in the 94th minute.

If there was someone there I would've punched them

As the famous si forums would tell you, it's your tactics :P

I've heard about that, apparantly if your tactics are wrong the game 'punishes' you by making it seem like you dominated with shots/posession but no goals, which if true is clearly a load of bollocks.

So I've started a new game using the latest transfer update, including Man City's new found wealth. Started the season in December 07 (so I can take over a team in the relegation zone), took over at West Hamwho were 19th. Anyway, got passed the January transfer window and City have spent just short of £90million in one month (including £30m on Agbonlahor). A sign of things to come?

I dunno if this is a well known bug but ill ask here cant be bothered to search google. If you arrange a frendly between you and your reserves and select your first team lineup, then go on to select your reserves team lineup and pick the same 10 (dont pick the keeper) in your reserves. It makes you play against a bunch of invisibles its awesome. You can win like 50-0. You have to pick keepers for both sides or you cant continue. actually the funny thing is there invisible players score against you. another thing is that your first team will be really really heavy favourites. i wanna try experimenting with this and try a team of casillas in net, and ronaldo and rooney outfield against 11 amateurs. wonder what will happen lmao.

I dunno if this is a well known bug but ill ask here cant be bothered to search google. If you arrange a frendly between you and your reserves and select your first team lineup, then go on to select your reserves team lineup and pick the same 10 (dont pick the keeper) in your reserves. It makes you play against a bunch of invisibles its awesome. You can win like 50-0. You have to pick keepers for both sides or you cant continue. actually the funny thing is there invisible players score against you. another thing is that your first team will be really really heavy favourites. i wanna try experimenting with this and try a team of casillas in net, and ronaldo and rooney outfield against 11 amateurs. wonder what will happen lmao.

Thats just the way the game is, if the team has no players, grey players who have stats similar to the positions and levels they would be playing in, will take their place. You can also sign the greys, excellant if you are a lower leage manager with no transfer money and no players wanting to join you, as the greys will join you everytime I think. On one of the past games, they used to be immense and better than the real players.

Following consuming several Cobra beers on Saturday, it seemed like the perfect time to jump into the world of FM Manager. I started a game with Preston North End, the only player I picked up for the team was Matt Jansen. I managed to get them to the 3rd round of the League Cup, also we are 9th at the moment, but we have had a few losses.

On my other file, Blackburn managed to pick up a draw with Spurs at WHL in the opening day of the premiership. This came with a price, both David Bentley and Morten Gamst Pedersen are now injured.

Just lost on qualification to Euro 2008 with Northern Ireland thanks to a 1-0 defeat away from home to Sweden. We were level on points, and I had a better goal difference! :(

Stupid Latvia... they only drew with Sweden on the last day while Sir David slammed two past Spain for me! I was getting ready with my suit for the Euro 2008 group game...

Maybe next time FD.

Also, any suggestions for an International team to play as? I am interested in taking Mexico to see if I can get them a World Cup win. Them or a quality African team. Basically a non-Europe/South American side that can actually go all the way.

Ivory Coast, Nigeria or Cameroon are your best bets.

And Derby have become the kings of drawing in season 3, after 20 games there record is W0 D15 L5. Surprisingly ( :shifty: ), there in a relegation spot.

Just make sure you load up all players for the country you decide to manage. Pretty sure you wouldn't make that mistake...but i'm an idiot and have done it several times. Trying to Turkey to the final with Volkan as the only goalkeeper, bad times.

Ghana are also another decent African side, but the strongest three have been mentioned. I've always thought Uruguay would be fun.

So I did a game with Mexico. Only lost two matches by one goal each (Both to the USA in the Gold Cup Finals/Qualifying) and I got my World Cup draw.

Brazil, England & Ivory Coast. :crying:

4 Top 15 teams in one group... although I am ranked ahead of England & Ivory Coast.

Edited by Hajjhowe

Playing as Birmingham I had the strangest (and best) matches ever. Drew Preston in the Playoff semis with the first leg at home, and after drawing 3-3 at half time I went on to win 8-4. Thinking it was safe I kept the same formation, but that came back to haunt me in the second leg as I found myself 4-0 down after half hour (8-8 agg). After half time we started exchanging goals until they were 6-2 up in the 80 minute when they took the lead (11-10 agg) but Kevin Phillips, only on the bench due to an injury to another player, equalized in the 93rd minute sending it to extra time. In Extra Time Phillips scored again, this time in the 103rd minute and giving us a 12-11 lead and it was all going so well until Neil Mellor scored to equalise with the last kick of the game, finishing 8-4 to them, 12 each on aggragate and sending it to Penalties

Where I lost 3-0

I decided I wanted a challenge. Thus, my logic was to start a game with the date set for Brazil 2007. Looking around for a poor team to manage, I noticed Newcastle United were a very poor 19th in the Premiership after 19 games around Boxing Day (surprisingly, very nearly outdone by Aston Villa in 18th). So far, the challenge is tough. Save for a very poor Derby, we have an atrocious run of form. Despite this, we beat Chelsea in the FA Cup 3rd Round and have already got through to the League Cup Semi-Final against Fulham. So, cups we can do, but leagues are our suck-dom. What our speciality is at the moment it seems is to attack and take the game at first, but let it slip and make stupid defensive errors around the end of the game. It's ricockulous.

To remedy this, I have enlisted the services of many coaches to replace our wankier staff. I am trying to instil into the players a desire to continue. I shall also bolster my defence. Forgetting to set the "no transfer budget at start of game" option, I've been handed down £30m for the January transfer window. Considering the situation at St. James Park at the moment, I decided it is not too far out of the realms of possibilities :shifty:

Jean II Makoun, Sergei Ignashevich and Matt Hill are so far helping to bolster my defence. I wanted Silvestre (Man Utd were willing to let him go for cheap), but he made it clear he doesn't want to come to me. So, fuck him. What I now need is a striker to replace Ameobi (I don't rate him), a left-back that can go forward (Matt Hill is a left-back, but he's adaptable as a CB and as his defensive stats are better suited for that role I will be adapting him for that role), a midfielder with good attacking stats and a striker to cover my now two top strikers (although that may change as Fabio Zamblera is having a good run of form in the reserves). All of which I have to do now with £8m. £12.5m went on Makoun, £5m went on Ignashevich and Hill cost £3m. I spend about £1.5m on staff. I have a tough time to fill those roles.

Mark Viduka hates me for not making him my number 1 striker. The thing is though, he's slower than Obafemi Martins and Owen. And if I got Owen, who isn't a speed demon but is so damn clinical, as I only play the one striker, Owen gets the nod. I can use Owen or Martins with versatility. Viduka doesn't like it, so he wants out. Not too pleased, but I can switch it.

I will not fail. Bolton next up. Home game. Let's get the ball rolling!