Final Fantasy

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Liam said:

Which of FF 1-6 are still worth playing if you have no nostalgia for them? I'm assuming 6 but any others?

People love 4 for the story, and I enjoyed it well enough when I played it a few years back. I personally love 5. The story is a bit cliché, but the gameplay with the class system is a masterpiece. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Which of FF 1-6 are still worth playing if you have no nostalgia for them? I'm assuming 6 but any others?

VI and IV are the strongest. I have a soft spot for V and the updated 3 isn't too bad. I and II are the weakest. I is extremely generic (unsurprisingly for what it was), and II has an awful levelling system and a bit of a nonsensical plot. I love them all, but IV and VI are going to be your clear winners there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently FF1 is easy mode version remaster, and honestly, it makes for a good change of pace. The various QOL additions they've also made improve the game and I'd imagine make it more accessible to new players. I'd still suggest going in with a guide to figure out which world map location to go to next, but I think it's a decent sub 10 hour game for anyone who wants to give it a go, keeping in mind the early areas are probably the toughest parts of the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kazuma KiRuki said:

I want to get it (mostly to play 5 & 6), but I don't wanna shell out $100. I know I can get the games separate, but I feel like I'd be missing out!

Hah! I know the feeling. I've been waiting since they were announced to land on the Switch because they had some really bad scrolling issues when I tried them on the PC and honestly, the Switch just seemed to be the place to play them - but in my dumb mind there was NO way that I could buy anything buy the full set. But that's just my nature with everything, sadly enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apsham said:

The modifiers that they added where you can either 1/2 or x2, x4 or even zero out your experience and gil is a good touch for the games. You can experience them as intended, harder or easier depending on what you want your experience to be.

I didn't even notice the boosters, that's cool. Hopefully it can shift some of FF2's issues to make it a bit better to play. Gonna have a tamper with that now I've platinumed 1.

• Like 2

I just found out that the FF3 remake is an actual pixel remaster (d'uh!) which is lovely as I've never played the pixeled version, but it apparently hasn't been updated to include the nicer parts of the 3D remake and the characters are very generic again, so that is a bit sad as I really liked the character of that game.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know if it's just that I know how to game the system now I'm older or what, but FF2 is significantly more balanced than I remember provided you try and fill in the bestiary as you go along and actually use your magic outside boss battles to level it. It's still not ideal, but I haven't changed any of the settings and I'm still pushing my levelling hard without much grinding unless you count bestiary filling grinding (exception being a bit at the start, and briefly trying to boost Esuna to be more useful) and yet I've still died to one random mob. Could probably do with some tougher and more memorable bosses, mind.

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

I honestly don't know if it's just that I know how to game the system now I'm older or what, but FF2 is significantly more balanced than I remember provided you try and fill in the bestiary as you go along and actually use your magic outside boss battles to level it. It's still not ideal, but I haven't changed any of the settings and I'm still pushing my levelling hard without much grinding unless you count bestiary filling grinding (exception being a bit at the start, and briefly trying to boost Esuna to be more useful) and yet I've still died to one random mob. Could probably do with some tougher and more memorable bosses, mind.

It's been years since I played FF2, what is the mechanics with leveling spells again? And filling the bestiary?

Basically use it and it grows. Use Fire? Fire strength grows, MP grows, magic strength grows. Get hit by physical attack? HP grows, defence grows. It's not immediate but based on a bar (some of them unseen). It can be gamed quite easily if you want to, but there's not a ton of need. Bestiary is just seeing all the monsters, it's part of the platinum trophy.

• Like 1