Final Fantasy

thuganomic

As someone who stopped playing Final Fantasy games after, I think , 8 or 9, because they all felt the same after awhile, should I check out the new one?

• Like 3

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lint said:

As someone who stopped playing Final Fantasy games after, I think , 8 or 9, because they all felt the same after awhile, should I check out the new one?

Absolutely. Feels completely different from any other FF.

I just beat my first major boss, and that was an experience! Great music and visuals, cool mechanics. And the acting of Benedickta was just wonderful. I wish it wasn't 1:30a, otherwise I'd play more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ruki said:

Absolutely. Feels completely different from any other FF.

I just beat my first major boss, and that was an experience! Great music and visuals, cool mechanics. And the acting of Benedickta was just wonderful. I wish it wasn't 1:30a, otherwise I'd play more.

Immediately I was like....that bitch!...although I assume we're going to find out why she is the way she is and it's going to make us feel sorry for her but yeah....

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying it so far, but Cid's character got me thinking that I would love for there to be someone closer to his character as a protagonist for FF. It always seems to be someone that is super self-serious and dramatic. 

This game is also very dark and bloodied than I'm used to seeing in a FF. Maybe I just haven't played the newest ones much. 

4 hours ago, LL! said:

I'm really enjoying it so far, but Cid's character got me thinking that I would love for there to be someone closer to his character as a protagonist for FF. It always seems to be someone that is super self-serious and dramatic. 

This game is also very dark and bloodied than I'm used to seeing in a FF. Maybe I just haven't played the newest ones much. 

Naww, that's special to this one. I think this is the first M rated Final Fantasy. 

13 hours ago, LL! said:

Zidane in IX at least wasn't super serious and dramatic, but on the other hand, he was a sex pest.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Skummy said:

Zidane in IX at least wasn't super serious and dramatic, but on the other hand, he was a sex pest.

Didn't he have a heck of a headbutt as well?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, probablyoliver said:

I'm still early on, having just got to Lostwing, but I'm digging it. It's giving me major FFXII vibes in its world and lore, and as the premier FFXII apologist, that's a-okay with me.

I'm with you on FFXII!

I never finished FFXII but at least XVI isn't Star Wars lite (yet...touch wood :shifty:).

I also remember absolutely hating XII's combat system at the time, although it would be interesting to try it again now that my experience has broadened beyond "fuck why can't this be like FFX".

• Haha 1

I loved XII's combat system, and want felt like a more living world than most games at the time, with monsters that attacked each other, and reacted differently depending on how you acted. I can't remember the story at all, and don't know if I ever finished it, but I was over the "it's not Final Fantasy how I like it!" grump by that point, having basically reached closure somewhere in the middle of X.

• Like 1

12s combat system is absolutely amazing if you know what you are doing and if you take time to set it up. The problem is, it takes time to set up. I feel like XIII did a decent job of doing what XII tried to in a simplified way, but that went too far the other way in its simplicity.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Benji said:

12s combat system is absolutely amazing if you know what you are doing and if you take time to set it up. The problem is, it takes time to set up. I feel like XIII did a decent job of doing what XII tried to in a simplified way, but that went too far the other way in its simplicity.

With the right gear and skills and whatever, you can turn Penelo into an absolute defensive dodging beast. I think I had it so that for like 75% of the time she couldn't really be hit by anything or some such nonsense. I loved it hahaha

I'm heading into the last dungeon of FF16. Got a handful of hunts to do first though.

The story is no great shakes but I've really enjoyed the characters and how their relationships and progressed and developed over the course of the game. Clive is solemn without coming across as unbearably miserable, Cid is Balthier 2.0 (always welcome), Torgal is the bestest boy and I won't go into other party members that would cause spoilers.

My only major bugbear is that the second-half of the game feels very formulaic: a long battle section and then back to base to do a bunch of rather tedious side-missions - again and again. It creates a lack of flow in the game and feels rather clunky.

Still though, it's the best mainline Final Fantasy game in a long time and I hope the trend continues.

• Like 1