Final Fantasy

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Street date for FFXV is being broken, like, everywhere. Reports of copies showing up in European countries, Saudi Arabia, Peru, etc. so I guess be vigilant about spoilers if you care about XV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Street date for FFXV is being broken, like, everywhere. Reports of copies showing up in European countries, Saudi Arabia, Peru, etc. so I guess be vigilant about spoilers if you care about XV.

Why can't Amazon break the street date and give me my game now? :(

• Like 1

Reserving judgement. Every FF gets great reviews. Since X-2/XII they've been overhyped, under delivered, but then found a nice middle ground between amazing and awful a few years after the fact.

Feels weird not having it pre-ordered though :( Hopefully people here give it the thumbs up and I can make it a Christmas buy. I'm more optimistic than I thought I'd be by this time though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Benji said:

Reserving judgement. Every FF gets great reviews. Since X-2/XII they've been overhyped, under delivered, but then found a nice middle ground between amazing and awful a few years after the fact.

Feels weird not having it pre-ordered though :( Hopefully people here give it the thumbs up and I can make it a Christmas buy. I'm more optimistic than I thought I'd be by this time though.

I think you're taking the sensible approach. I'm not what you'd call a hardcore Final Fantasy player, but I know that most people didn't consider Final Fantasy XIII to be the great game most reviews at the time made it out to be, and we've seen plenty of other examples of eager reviewers giving big games high review scores while they're still caught in the blockbuster hype. I think it often pays to wait for a little while to gauge what people are saying about a major game once the initial excitement has died down. If people are still talking fondly about the great things they've encountered, chances are that it deserves the praise and is worth picking up.

For me, the thing that concerns me is that most reviews I've looked at have criticised the plot and the main characters. If I'm going to play through something that lasts dozens of hours, I'd be looking for a really good narrative, not something that's neither here nor there. For a game like this, good combat isn't likely to tide me over in the long run.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hugobomb said:

I've never understood the idea that a game can have a terrible plot and main characters that you don't care and still be "good", decent maybe if the combat is amazing but not legit good.

Skyrim, GTA, Witcher 3 a bit since it's so long, Pokemon, Mario Bros. I'd say it's much harder to find games that actually have a great plot, great characters, great gameplay and doesn't overstay its welcome (which is caused by consumers with the whole 'game is only 10 hours, terrible value' bullshit).

• Like 2

Polygon gave it a 9 out of 10, with the final verdict being:

Final Fantasy 15's own opening text describes it as "a Final Fantasy for fans and newcomers alike." The game contains pieces sure to disappoint players in both camps, but it also provides a refreshingly human take on the classic RPG journey that I hope will inspire future games in the franchise. Final Fantasy 15 can be baffling in some of its questionable choices, but across the board, it hits more than it misses. It hums with an energy and compassion that I loved, a sense of camaraderie, friendship and adventure that fills an old and struggling formula with new relevance.

12 hours ago, Benji said:

So, what's the verdict? Am I getting this at Christmas or not?

Yes.

(I traded in World of Final Fantasy and Dishonored 2, got the game for $12)

I've played 4 hours now, and haven't touched the main story yet. Just dicking around doing hunts and side quests. Also decided to check out some nearby mines....but that was a mistake, as there was a level 56 creature down there and I am only level 6. The music is good, the party's interactions are fun, and the combat (thus far) is enjoyable.

• Like 1

It plays the same but with the other characters and being able to do stuff with them and the warping (I don't remember if that was in the demo or not) it feels different than the demo did to me. I'm not very good at the battle mechanics yet though, got some grinding to do