Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watching Super Sunday? Graeme Souness has just torn into Freddy Shephard, apparantly he was told Luque was available for £2million, and it was Shephard's choice to buy him for £10m. He also wanted Anelka over Owen, but the (Newcastle) board told him he wasn't available.

Edited by therockbox

Anyone watching Super Sunday? Graeme Souness has just torn into Freddy Shephard, apparantly he was told Luque was available for £2million, and it was Shephard's choice to buy him for £10m. He also wanted Anelka over Owen.

Yep, I am. He reckons when he asked for Anelka, he was told he wasn't available ...and he obviously moved not too long after. "Torn into" sums it up quite nicely.

Keyesy said "You're sweating. Is that because you're hot, or because you're angry?" - Great question, although he blamed a "bug" he had. :shifty:

Souness also said he'd take the vacant Newcastle job.

Well, it seems to me like he's blaming his time at Newcastle solely on the Chairman, and looks to be hinting that it'd be so different if he was the man in control, so to speak.

I liked his "If they bring in Shearer, they need an experienced head (Me Ashley, me) with him."

I actually like Souness as a manager, in the same way I like George Graham. He'll usually do a job, and make a team difficult to beat. He's a good football man, knows his stuff. I don't however, think he's the man for Newcastle at this point in time. Is it so hard for them to bring Keegan back, with Shearer alongside him? It seems the obvious choice, blatantly what the fans want.

*Crosses fingers and hopes they plump for Steve McClaren*

I'd laugh.

EDIT ~ On the game last night... Superb performance. Alright, Newcastle were poor, but we were brilliant at times. Owen was definitely onside, but as was pointed out by everyone except Craig Burley (Who annoyed the crap outta me last night)... everyone had stopped by the time he put it away.

I actually thought all 3 were penalties... and on the Ronaldo one, yeah he left his leg there, but there was definite contact.. in the modern game thats a pen. I think anywhere else on the pitch it's given, same with the other two. But, of course, i'm a United fan so "I would say that".

Not that it matters, after half time we were awesome. Ronny is, in my mind, the best in the world right now. At the start of the season I was saying Kaka but if you look at Ronaldo's performances (In arguably a more difficult league) and compare that to how Milan are this season, I think Ronny takes it right now. Also, a point on our Midfield. Does anyone have a better central midfield 4 than we do right now? Anderson has been quality since he came in and when he's fit, Hargrevas has been brilliant as well. Then there's Carrick, who remains horribly underrated and Fletcher who continues to not put a foot wrong. All that with Scholes back within a month, awesome.

With the squad we have and the way everyone is playing... if the front 3 continue to produce the goals then I really don't see us not winning the league. Arsenal will run us close but i think we look even stronger at this point, performance-wise, than we did last season.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

He might've, but I'm sure he was on SSN promoting some sort of kids football club or something like that when he got asked the question, and told them he'd retired.

Either way, in saying that, I'm sure his "retirement" wouldn't be permanent if an offer was big enough.

How can such a shit manager talk so much sense as a pundit?

I think he's learned from his time working with the Irish football pundits... All of whom are pretty brutal when it comes to dissecting the game (well the main ones). I seem to remember hearing that when he first came to work as a pundit for RTE that he was surprised how harsh the likes of John Giles and Eamon Dunphy were on games and he adapted to it.

You could call us Ireland and Celtic Lite to a degree as well. We have a manager with some great contacts that he's using, if a manager moves clubs he'll often take his backroom staff and a few players with him so I'm not surprised we're brimming with Man Utd, Celtic and Ireland players and that sort of thing, whatever works.

I assume that's another £2m tacked on Roberts now.

Edited by IAceI

I'd love to see a meeting between Keane and Coppell;

Keane: "We'll give you £2.5m for Hunt"

Coppell: "No. We're not selling him."

Keane: "Okay how about £3m then, that should help?"

Coppell: "Absolutely not. We're not going to sell him for anything."

Keane: "...£4.5m"

And it looks like we're set to go higher. He'd be a fantastic addition as well, and I'm confident we can get him. I'm not worried about overpaying, we have the money so why should I care? Not to mention Megson done the whole "Anelka's not for sale" thing only to cave in days later.

I want to see us make 3 or so decent purchases in January, players who can immediately take a starting spot or challenge for one. At least 2.

If Benitez was going to be sacked he'd have been gone by now.

How wrong was I? Hopefully the rumours about DIC are true and these grubby toerags can fuck off.

Huh... :blink:

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to lose Benitez for someone who can adapt to the English game better and actually fight for the Premiership. I think Benitez has done a good job at Liverpool, but it's the same thing with Valencia - they're a strong Continental team. But, unless they want to be a powerhouse in the league, they've got to make some hard choices.

Mind you, Klinnsman is not exactly my first choice as an improvement.