Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

Geremi was shockingly bad. His good cross for the goal followed by consistently poor set pieces and all around poor performance.

A Newcastle fan can confirm this, but is Geremi actually any good at set-pieces? I remember back when Big Sam was in charge some commentators were saying how unimpressive Geremi had been taking corners/FK's etc, yet Sam still stuck with him to take them all.

It seems he does the same now Keegan is in charge, and from what I've seen so far, it looks pretty much the same as far as his quality, or lack thereof from set-pieces goes.

As a passionate Newcastle fan since I could walk, Geremi is fucking wank.

He's good at what he does well, which is tackle and clear the ball. He's not suited to playing a right midfield position as he has done since Keegan came in, and when Allardyce was there as far as my Magners-polluted mind can confirm. He just doesn't have the balls to get an incisive cross in. Other than that, he's a good enough player. That said, I'd much rather he switched places with Habib Beye, because Beye is at least capable of hitting in a decent fucking ball when he gets in the right position, and has the balls to do so every time.

To follow that up as another one, he's the most infuriating player I've seen recently. If he puts the cross in, its a goal (another today, and Owens collected a few assists off him so far), otherwise as IAceI says he hits the first man every time. But how can you drop a man with a goal and a handful of assists in the last half dozen games? Jamie Milners never achieved that much end product...

I thought Nicky Butt had a cracking game though, especially if you consider how poor we were second half, just hoofing the ball up top to Viduka, then Carroll. But first half he was breaking up play all over the middle third and did exactly what you need to do in a derby game, exert a bit of authority, and he's the player with the experience to do it (as Roy Keane will no doubt have noticed). I couldn't pick out a single Sunderland midfielder who managed to do anything close to that.

All in all, I thought it was actually a fairly poor game, barring a few exceptions we've looked nowhere near the team we have in recent weeks, but then I suppose free flowing football is hard to achieve in a battling derby. Three points, a very subdued Sunderland crowd and that inflatable dog flying about level seven made it worth it though.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Butt was horrible. I can't agree with you there in the slightest, I'll admit he threw himself around a bit, and I suppose in a dirty-Derby match that's to expect, dirty as in not free flowing football as opposed to fouling. But put say a Kranjcar type player in there instead of him and all sorts would happen. A creative kind of player would be much better than a 'battling' type of player. Butt - just isn't good.

Other than that I'll agree. Our midfield was poor. We looked confused with 5 in the middle. Edwards was too ineffective, which isn't acceptable. He should have had fun with Barton in fairness, he's too quick and should have drew fouls out of Barton when he came across. Whitehead was a terrible captain, lacked inspiration. Miller was poor and his inclusion confused me, other than perhaps he has Old Firm experience? Reid was largely ineffective, and considering since we signed him we've become a much better team it's no surprise that when he was quietened down that we didn't produce anything. Problem is, he wasn't marked out the game or anything, he just failed to inspire on his own as opposed to being snuffed out, which is the most heartbreaking part. Daryl Murphy was a shadow of the player he can be, he wasn't as enthusiastic or hard working as usual - and that just exposes the fact he's very average.

However I don't want to be too harsh on them, particularly Carlos Edwards who had play right back when Nosworthy didn't. As Paul McShane, our intended right back, appears completely and utterly unable to play that position himself. We sucked without Bardsley, but it shows how we need to improve our depth as well as our quality.

Butt was horrible. I can't agree with you there in the slightest, I'll admit he threw himself around a bit, and I suppose in a dirty-Derby match that's to expect, dirty as in not free flowing football as opposed to fouling. But put say a Kranjcar type player in there instead of him and all sorts would happen. A creative kind of player would be much better than a 'battling' type of player. Butt - just isn't good.

I can't see how you can accuse him of fouling in a game where 5 mackem players were booked and the referee bottled at least one other in the first 3 minutes. It seemed their only solution to Michael Owen was to attempt to hoof him off the field. Nicky Butt on the other hand, wins the ball.

I can't see how you can accuse him of fouling in a game where 5 mackem players were booked and the referee bottled at least one other in the first 3 minutes. It seemed their only solution to Michael Owen was to attempt to hoof him off the field. Nicky Butt on the other hand, wins the ball.

Point out where I said he fouled? I know who got fouled. I watched the match and I saw we were fouling the most. So if you care to point out where I said Nicky Butt was fouling and I'll explain my statements.

EDIT: Also it's not bottling it. He was giving him the benefit of the doubt. It was a fast and frantic start, and McShane needs special dispensation for being useless anyways.

Edited by IAceI

Ugh. I'm wondering whether I'm actually going to have the balls to watch tomorrow (checks watch: today) or not.

Under more mundane circumstances, I would never contemplate voluntarily watching a Chelsea v Man Utd game because of the intense boredom that can incur. However, thanks to some kind of masochistic desire to watch Chelsea's ever-fleeting championship hopes get crushed for good, I inexplicably feel like making myself suffer for 90 minutes or so on an early Saturday afternoon.

How fucking insane is that?

Edited by stokeriño

TEAM NEWS Chelsea v Man Utd

Chelsea bring in Jon Obi Mikel and Michael Essien in place of Claude Makelele and Frank Lampard in midfield, while Salomon Kalou is preferred to Florent Malouda. Manchester United drop Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez to the bench. Nemanja Vidic is back in defence while Mikael Silvestre plays at left-back instead of Patrice Evra. Anderson, Darren Fletcher, Nani and Ryan Giggs also come into the line-up.

Looks like Fergie is packing the midfield. Force Chelsea to win the game rather than trying to nick it, and therefore allow, Anderson to support Rooney up front.

I can sense Anderson scoring his first Man Utd goal today.

I approve of Essien and Kalou. Not sure I'd pick Mikel over Makalele - let's hope he doesn't get himself red carded. Again. ¬_¬

They're going to bring Ronaldo on after 60 minutes and have him run the full backs ragged aren't they? The dogs.

The figure I've heard was £15.8m, but that will no doubt be subject to appearances, goals, caps and other clauses like that. No doubt bringing it up to around the £20m mark I'm sure.

Great young talent who I heard linked with the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea. Will no doubt be a valuable asset to Tottenham and I think it sort of signals the departure of Berbatov in some ways. Been a fan of his for quite a while now and am glad to see him come to the Premiership, the best league in the entire world so I great chance for him to showcase his talent.

Got a few more people I'd love to see come to the Premiership so hopefully they come in the near future.

Edited by IAceI

The fuse in the TV's plug blew 10 minutes before kick-off, so I had to go out and buy some more fuses. Got back in at 42 minutes, just in time for Ballack's goal.

That's the first proper goal I've seen Chelsea score live for a long time. :D

Edited by stokeriño