The 11 Worst Trends in Video Games

zero

Here's an article from GamePro (ugh), but at least it's something entertaining to discuss:

The 11 Worst Trends in Games

Definitely agreed on things like "The Perfect Woman," but that's an issue that transcends gaming. Comic books are the worst offenders of that with Hollywood right behind them. C'mon though, it's just like they say in Chasing Amy, "over and underweight guys that don't get laid, that's our bread and butter." Applies to video games as well. They're spot on about Super Soldiers and WWII games though. That's the funniest part of the article, finding out there's been 350 WWII games produced.

I disagree on "Licensed Soundtracks" though. Yeah, Oblivion or Shadow of Colossus shouldn't have the latest cut from Ne-Yo on it, but any game based in reality - sports, racing, GTA-style games, those should all have licensed soundtracks, or at least GOOD licensed soundtracks.

Edited by Zero

I actually disagree with the whole women need to look average thing. When it comes down to it, would you rather pick the hot looking girl that kicks ass or the average looking girl that averagely shoves you down to the ground and yells "RAPE!"?

There's no marketability in selling a game with a bunch of average looking girls.

I disagree on "Licensed Soundtracks" though. Yeah, Oblivion or Shadow of Colossus shouldn't have the latest cut from Ne-Yo on it, but any game based in reality - sports, racing, GTA-style games, those should all have licensed soundtracks, or at least GOOD licensed soundtracks.

I would have to disagree. Burnout had a great soundtrack before Electronic Arts came along and butchered it with its licensed Americana pop-rock... In fact, any Electronic Arts game to me has a totally useless soundtrack, why do we need to listen to random pop-rock when we're selecting teams on FIFA (NFL too?) when the in-game is just commentary? It's a pointless extra that they then actually advertise to the consumer. But would you buy Random Sports Game #7 because its got Fall Out Boy on it? No, if you liked that band so much, you'd go buy FOB's CD instead. And if you want to hear the song while playing, you use your personal stereo/computer to play it on. There are things like the GTA-games you mentioned where this licensing is okay, but on the most part it isn't needed.

Since when we sequels and microtransactions bad trends either? Wow.

He didn't mean ALL sequels, it was about yearly updates that are more of the same (Tony Hawk, Madden, Smackdown, etc). No idea why he included Splinter Cell though since Double Agent and the upcoming Conviction are very different. And he also didn't say Microtransactions suck, just the way they're overpriced, like the song packs for GH2.

I actually disagree with the whole women need to look average thing. When it comes down to it, would you rather pick the hot looking girl that kicks ass or the average looking girl that averagely shoves you down to the ground and yells "RAPE!"?
Again, which is why I mentioned comic books and movies. It's certainly not limited to games, but it should come as no surprise considering the target audience. Although after thinking about it more, movies and TV are way worse than comic books. Comic books are big tits in tiny outfits, no big deal. Movies and TV though, even the "ugly" girl is way hotter than any girl any of us would ever get. Look no further than "Ugly Betty," they couldn't actually give an ugly actress a job, they hired a hot chick and just made her look ugly. That's for more offensive to me than DoA's bouncing boobies.

In fact, any Electronic Arts game to me has a totally useless soundtrack, why do we need to listen to random pop-rock when we're selecting teams on FIFA (NFL too?) when the in-game is just commentary? It's a pointless extra that they then actually advertise to the consumer. But would you buy Random Sports Game #7 because its got Fall Out Boy on it? No, if you liked that band so much, you'd go buy FOB's CD instead. And if you want to hear the song while playing, you use your personal stereo/computer to play it on. There are things like the GTA-games you mentioned where this licensing is okay, but on the most part it isn't needed.

But it's not just commentary in-game, the songs are sprinkled in between plays on Madden, just like in real life. That's helps with the realism, I can't argue with that. And I'd much rather hear Fall Out Boy or some other fun tune than generic menu music #2415415. With that said, it does need to be a big soundtrack, nothing worse than hearing the same five songs over and over - I'm looking at you Smackdown vs. RAW.

Edited by Zero

Look no further than "Ugly Betty," they couldn't actually give an ugly actress a job, they hired a hot chick and just made her look ugly. That's for more offensive to me than DoA's bouncing boobies.

I can see why, though. If they hire an attractive actress to make her look unattractive, it's a hell of a lot less offensive in the long-run than ruining someone's self-confidence and people's perceptions of them by hiring them because they think they're ugly. It's like "right, you're perfect for this role, because you're fucking hideous"...I'd prefer the former scenario, to be honest.

As for soundtracks, I think it's mostly an attempt to cement video games as a "legitimate" form of entertainment to be taken seriously, but for the most part its un-necessary.

I don't see the problem with being able to add new things onto the games. Song packs for Guitar Hero II? It's not required, and no one's going to force anyone to but them, so what's the big deal? Could they have waited and just put more songs on? Well some people want the game earlier and won't even think about getting the song packs... really.

Although the Scarface creators butchered that idea and made me hate it. Whilst it has some really good music, the way it's been done annoys me quite a lot.

Oh I agree, it's definitely misused from time to time, but I just don't think it belongs on the list because it's a trend where the positives far outweigh the negatives.

It's like "right, you're perfect for this role, because you're fucking hideous"...I'd prefer the former scenario, to be honest.

Haha, touche. Although that's pretty much how they do it for fat people most of the time...

Hell, seeing an article about the Vice City soundtrack was the one thing that actually got me into Grand Theft Auto. Like Zero said, if they're gonna license songs for soundtracks, go all out and get a shitload with a good variety. Even Madden has managed to do that. I can create a hip-hop playlist, a rock playlist, or an NFL Films-style playlist. No worries there. Licensed soundtracks are absolutely awesome when used correctly. 50 Cent can go get shot nine more times for putting out a shit game for no reason aside from flogging G-Unit music and clothes, though.

I loved the first three Medal of Honor games, but after that, WWII has been totally ridden into the ground. I'm still surprised there hasn't been more done with Vietnam, honestly.

Yes, all the "supersoldier" games can go eat a dick...closest I like to get is something more stealth-oriented like Hitman, or at least something more strategic, like Deus Ex. Except when a new Contra game comes out. (Y)

Rising prices and microtransactions I don't find offensive by themselves...but together, it screams extortion. If you're going to raise the price of a game, make it as complete as humanly possible. If there's going to be more content coming, drop the price. It's easier for me to rationalize downloading some minor new wrinkle if I paid $40 for the game to start with instead of $60. Even then, it's sort of annoying, but I'm just cheap. :P

Hot women and bloom effect lighting add to the visual appeal of a game when used properly, so no qualms there.

And using all the buttons? Again, not a problem if there's things that make sense. A cool-ass game that got totally undone for me by a shitty control scheme was definitely Armored Core...and all its 20 sequels. Did they ever do away with having to use the shoulder buttons to look up and down, or did they never learn that the right stick worked quite well for that sort of thing?

I've said it before, I'll say it again- Fuck gamepro. This list is terrible. How are they going to list a game as a 'worst offender' that isn't even going to be released for another year(MGS4)? And 'Gangsta Themed' games are a problem? The only 'Gangsta Themed' games that have come out are the four they cite as 'worst offenders'. And 2 of them were good games.