The 2007/2008 Fall Television Season

TGC

NBC had its upfronts today, and this is the finalized schedule for the fall, as of now:

Here is NBC's schedule for 2007-08 (all times Eastern, new shows in bold)

Monday

8 p.m. "Deal or No Deal"

9 p.m. "Heroes"

10 p.m. "Journeyman"

Tuesday

8 p.m. "The Biggest Loser"

9 p.m. "Chuck"

10 p.m. "Law & Order: SVU"

Wednesday

8 p.m. "Deal or No Deal"

9 p.m. "Bionic Woman"

10 p.m. "Life"

Thursday

8 p.m. "My Name Is Earl"

8:30 p.m. "30 Rock" (new timeslot)

9 p.m. "The Office" (new timeslot)

9:30 p.m. "Scrubs"

10 p.m. "ER"

Friday

8 p.m. "1 vs. 100"/"The Singing Bee"

9 p.m. "Las Vegas"

10 p.m. "Friday Night Lights" (new timeslot)

Saturday

8 p.m. "Dateline"

9 p.m. Drama repeat

10 p.m. Drama repeat

Sunday (fall)

7 p.m. "Football Night in America"

8 p.m. "Sunday Night Football"

Sunday (January 2008)

7 p.m. "Dateline"

8 p.m. "Law & Order" (new timeslot)

9 p.m. "Medium" (new timeslot)

10 p.m. "Lipstick Jungle"

Gone from the schedule are "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" -- which is moving to NBC sibling USA -- "Crossing Jordan," "Studio 60," "The Black Donnellys," and "Identity." Donald Trump's reality franchise "The Apprentice" is also apparently done.

The rest of the article:

With critical acclaim and one new hit on its side, NBC will continue its rebuilding process in 2007-08 with a crop of new shows that lean heavily toward the dramatic.

The network is adding five new shows to its lineup in the fall, none of which are comedies. In fact, NBC has ordered only one new half-hour for next season, "The IT Crowd." It will likely appear at midseason. The new shows for the fall are the dramas "Bionic Woman," "Journeyman," "Life" and "Chuck" and an unscripted show called "The Singing Bee."

"Last year we promised a return to the NBC legacy of quality, and in terms of awards, buzz and critical acclaim, that's just what we delivered," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly says. "We've got the class and next season we're ready to add some mass, with new shows that build on the creative accomplishments of last season and are as broad as they are good."

NBC has also done some shifting of its returning series, moving the critically beloved "Friday Night Lights" to its namesake night, Friday, at 10 p.m. ET. Returning shows "Law & Order" and "Medium" will be held back until midseason, where they will air on Sunday nights at 8 and 9, respectively. Another new drama, "Lipstick Jungle," will fill the 10 p.m. Sunday spot once the NFL season ends.

"Journeyman," a sci fi-tinged drama about a man ("Rome" star Kevin McKidd) who inexplicably travels through time, will get the 10 p.m. Monday spot after "Heroes," with NBC no doubt hoping it's found a compatible show for the first-year hit. "Chuck," a comedy-tinged spy drama from "O.C." creator Josh Schwartz, will air on Tuesdays, while "Bionic Woman" and "Life" will get Wednesday spots.

NBC's Thursday lineup will feature the same shows, in a slightly different order. "The Office" will move to 9 p.m. to anchor that hour, with "30 Rock" moving up to 8:30 following "My Name Is Earl." The seventh season of "Scrubs" will air at 9:30, leading into "ER."

"The Singing Bee" will share a Friday-night spot with returning game show "1 vs. 100." Another unscripted show, "World Moves," will be available for fall as well but doesn't have a spot yet.

credit zap2it.com

Edited by Stone Cold TGC

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from thefutoncritic.com, the full list of NBC's cancellations.

· 20 GOOD YEARS

· ANDY BARKER, P.I.

· BLACK DONNELLYS, THE

· CROSSING JORDAN

· GREASE: YOU'RE THE ONE I WANT

· IDENTITY

· KIDNAPPED

· RAINES

· REAL WEDDING CRASHERS, THE

· STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP

· THANK GOD YOU'RE HERE

NBC is seemingly the least transparent of all the networks, as we knew about basically everything but the actual arrangement of the schedule days in advance. I actually like some of the programming moves, and will give a chance to 6 of the new pilots. "Journeyman" is created by one of Aaron Sorkin's regular collaborators (although he had nothing to do with S60, which I suppose in the network's mind can only be a good thing), and is a kindred theme to "Heroes". "Chuck" is a tough show to schedule, but the sort of popcorn action it offers is probably fine with a reality show lead-in. Still gonna get killed against "House" though. "Bionic Woman" and "Life" are shows that have conflicting good and bad feedback going in, so it remains to see how they'll do here. It's not like NBC's ever had a foothold on this night in recent years anyway. The small move on Thursdays is "The Office" and "30 Rock" switching places. I do agree with the move to have "Office" headline the 9pm hour, but "Scrubs" seems much more kindred in theme to "Earl" and probably would have worked better in the 8:30 slot. It also would have probably done better if it wasn't bleeding away a portion of its audience to the other medical show in the slot. Nonetheless, probably a move based on wanting "30 Rock" to build its audience in the 2nd season, whereas "Scrubs" is moving into its final year. "Friday Night Lights" moving to Fridays is a given, but 10pm? That's a little odd. However "Lipstick Jungle" is probably the network's most buzzworthy pilot, and it seems odd to me that they would hold it off until midseason. All in all this isn't the fearless network willing to try everything in the book from last year, but we all know where that got them. But I can at least say that for the first time I have interest in most of 3 different nights for NBC, so there's that.

Now we wait to see if the other networks are as disappointing as they were last year.

Edited by GoodGodWhatABeatnik

"Journeyman," a sci fi-tinged drama about a man ("Rome" star Kevin McKidd) who inexplicably travels through time, will get the 10 p.m. Monday spot after "Heroes," with NBC no doubt hoping it's found a compatible show for the first-year hit.

A few other tidbits from the Press Conference:

– Though “Bionic Woman” was strongly considered for the post-“Heroes” slot, “Journeyman” won the time period partly because the time-travel series tested higher than any NBC drama in five years, he says.

– The six-episode “Heroes: Origins” spin-off was created partly to help “Heroes” retain its momentum. The drama dropped sharply after going on a six-week hiatus this year. “Origins” will have a separate writing and producing team and (one presumes) a lower budget. The network hasn’t yet decided when the “Origins” episodes will be used. Filling a six-week hiatus is possible, but a more likely option is that “Heroes” will finish its run and “Origins” will air afterward. Either way, Reilly says, the goal is to have as few interruptions to “Heroes” as possible.

– More series announcements are forthcoming. NBC just ordered two new pilots last week and another drama pilot pickup is coming soon, Reilly says. Also, NBC could increase the episode orders for one or two more series, joining super-sized orders for “Heroes,” “The Office” and “My Name Is Earl.”

For the complete article, which includes Reilly's explanation for the "Studio 60" cancellation, commentary on the rumored cancellation of "ER" as well as "The Apprentice" and the network's conservative approach to the schedule this year, click here.

NBC is really trying to capitalize on the surprising popularity of "Heroes." Shows like "The Bionic Woman" and "Journeyman?" Yeah, no network would have touched ANYTHING like that five years ago. Of course, five years ago, networks wouldn't touch anything unless it had was something along the lines of "Who Wants To Tempt a Midget Millionaire Bachelor and Survive."

Last year, I remember being excited for 30 Rock and hating on Studio 60 (only because I loathe Matthew Perry), and I'm surprised that it actually worked out the way I hoped. Of course, S60 turned out to be better than I expected, but I'd much rather have 30 Rock around. Thursdays look great, I'm just happy we've confirmed Scrubs is back for its final season.

I predict "Chuck" will be the first show to go, mainly because of its name, but also because the Tuesday line-up is all over the fucking place. Reality show about fat people, spy dramady, then a cop show? Huh? "Life" is about a detective who spent years in jail for a crime he didn't commit, wouldn't that make a better companion for "Law & Order SVU?" Put "Chuck" on Wednesdays with the "Bionic Woman," which will both probably be more action-oriented. I dunno, I guess there's a reason I just talk about schedules on the internet while network execs get millions of dollars to actually put them together.

And can anyone tell me how "Who Wants to Open a Briefcase?" is still on? And on twice a friggin week?

Edited by Zero

I don't care about any of this, other than the fact that my favorite show, Special Victims Unit, is still in the same timeslot on the same day. Awesome.

Criminal Intent moving to USA is fine with me. It's where I watch most of SVU and CI anyway.

The details on the new additions to NBC

Heroes: Origins will be six special episodes of the series, which will air during the show's hiatus. This means the total episode count for the season will be 30!

The Bionic Woman is an updating of the classic ABC show from the 70s. It stars British actress Michelle Ryan.

Chuck is about a computer geek who becomes a spy (somehow). It's produced by Josh Schwartz, who did The O.C., and director McG.

Journeyman sounds a lot like a 21st century version of Quantum Leap. It stars Kevin McKidd from Rome and is produced by some of the people behind The West Wing.

The IT Crowd is a new comedy that focuses on the lives of tech people. Sounds like a nerdier Office.

Life is a drama about a detective who spends years in jail for a crime he didn't commit and is given a second chance. It stars Damian Lewis from Band of Brothers.

Lipstick Jungle is from Candace Bushnell, who did Sex and the City, and sounds similar. It stars Brooke Shields and Kim Raver, from The Nine.

The Singing Bee is another damn singing competition.

World Moves is a hip-hop competition, and is produced by American Idol's Randy Jackson.

For those interested (and this is probably the last NBC tidbit before ABC's presentation tomorrow) NBC has posted video previews for all its upcoming series at the official site. Personally, I think "Chuck" and "Journeyman" look like appointment viewing, and "Bionic Woman" and "Life" might also be cool. "The IT Crowd's" video is just an interview with Richard Ayoade though, and I don't need a video to tell me he's funny.

Guest mAXi

Journeyman and Chuck seem kind of lame but at the same time interesting enough to watch. IT Crowd i will go out of my way to see. All the rest, hahahaha.

Having watched the trailers for each:

-Bionic Woman looks both silly and good. Both overly dramatic and fun. I think I shall give this a go, assuming it's not up against four better shows come fall.

-The trailer for Lipstick Jungle can say they aren't lookg for Mr. Big, a reference to Sex And The City, but they have a Mr. Big character in the pilot and trailer. What I mean is, this looks like a less risque network version of S&TC. Not sure if I even care, but I will admit it doesn't look horrible.

-Okay Chuck looks fucking great. I mean Chuck looks absolutely fantastic. I am gonna be all over that, which means it will be an early casualty.

-Journeyman lookd iffy, as me and Srar agreed. I'm not sure why, but it looks like it could either be really really good or really really bad. Having the timeslot of death after Heroes isn't a good sign either.

-And finally we have Life. The one drama I was least impressed with when I heard about it originally and after watching the trailer two things come to mind. One, whomever said it would fit better on Tuesday with L&O SVU was right. Two, it looks pretty good. I shall give it a chance.

So all in all thus far, I'm looking forward to Chuck and Life, I will give Bionic Woman and Journeyman a shot, and I don't think any of them will be NBC's next big thing.

After checking out the previews, Chuck and Life look good. I was disappointed in Journeyman though. I thought it would be different than that. I'm still going to check it out though.

ABC's turn. New shows in bold:

Monday

8 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars"

9:30 p.m. "Sam I Am"

10 p.m. "The Bachelor"

Notes: Following the end of "Dancing with the Stars," the Monday lineup will be "Wife Swap" at 8 p.m., "Sam I Am" at 9, "Notes from the Underbelly" at 9:30 and "October Road" at 10.

Tuesday

8 p.m. "Cavemen"

8:30 p.m. "Carpoolers"

9 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars" results

10 p.m. "Boston Legal"

Note: "Cashmere Mafia" will replace "Dancing with the Stars" later in the fall.

Wednesday

8 p.m. "Pushing Daisies"

9 p.m. "Private Practice"

10 p.m. "Dirty Sexy Money"

Thursday

8 p.m. "Ugly Betty"

9 p.m. "Grey's Anatomy"

10 p.m. "Big Shots"

Friday

8 p.m. "Men in Trees" (new timeslot)

9 p.m. "Women's Murder Club"

10 p.m. "20/20"

Saturday

8 p.m. "Saturday Night College Football"

Sunday

7 p.m. "America's Funniest Home Videos"

8 p.m. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"

9 p.m. "Desperate Housewives"

10 p.m. "Brothers & Sisters"

The full story courtesy of zap2it:

ABC pulled off a major revamp of its schedule on Tuesday, unveiling a lineup with nine new series and changes on every weeknight.

Among the changes are a Wednesday slate of three new dramas, anchored by the "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff "Private Practice"; the comedy "Sam I Am" following "Dancing with the Stars" on Monday nights; and "Big Shots," a drama about the friendship among four high-level executives, getting the plum timeslot following "Grey's Anatomy" on Thursdays.

"We're heading into the new season with a strong lineup of returning shows that we've developed and nurtured over the past few years," says Stephen McPherson, head of ABC Entertainment. "That solid foundation will help us launch an exciting development slate as we continue our forward momentum this fall."

The network's biggest gamble is probably on Wednesday nights, where it will offer up three freshman dramas: "Pushing Daisies," "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money." The spinoff comes somewhat pre-sold -- it was introduced in a highly rated "Grey's Anatomy" two weeks ago -- but Wednesdays figure to be crowded in the fall. NBC has two new series there as well ("Bionic Woman" and "Life"), and the other three nets may unveil new shows on the night as well.

"Big Shots," which stars Michael Vartan, Christopher Titus, Joshua Malina and Dylan McDermott, will move into the 10 p.m. Thursday spot after "Grey's Anatomy." Although it focuses on four guys, McPherson says it's similar in tone to its lead-in.

ABC is also revamping its comedy offerings, with "Sam I Am" -- starring Christina Applegate as an amnesiac trying to rediscover her life -- getting the half-hour between "Dancing" and "The Bachelor" in the fall. Once "Dancing" and "The Bachelor" end their fall runs, "Sam I Am" will move back to 9 p.m. and second-year shows "Notes from the Underbelly" and "October Road" will move in at 9:30 and 10.

The other comedies on the schedule are the much-discussed "Cavemen," inspired by the Geico car-insurance ads, and "Carpoolers," about a group of guys who commute together. They'll air from 8 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays; another new show, "Cashmere Mafia," will air at 9 on Tuesdays after the "Dancing with the Stars" results show finishes in late fall.

At midseason, ABC will bring back "Lost" -- most likely on Wednesdays -- for an uninterrupted run. The drama "Eli Stone," comedy "Miss/Guided" and two unscripted shows, "Supernanny" and "Oprah's Big Give," are also on tap for midseason.

Personally, not terribly excited at all about ABC's Fall Schedule. Not one show jumps out at me and says WATCH ME WATCH ME.

Luckily for ABC, they have the Grey's Anatomy/Lost gravy train to ride. I cannot believe they picked up the Caveman show, from what I've heard, the pilot is excruciatingly bad. Private Practice is the only new show on that list that sounds like it has promise to stick around, simply because people go apeshit over GA.

Still, I'm interested in "Big Shots," but that's just cause I'm a huge Christopher Titus mark.