Duke Nukem Forever Turns 10

zero

wasn't Prey also in development for an ungodly amount of time?

IIRC Prey surfaced originally around the time of the first Quake (or more likely towards the time of the first Unreal game) but after both games got released before it the hype died down and they froze the whole goddamn project. The next time it was heard of was when EPIC Games threatened to sue a Finnish game manufacturer when they tried to release a game called "Shadow Prey" (they changed the title, can't remember into what though) and then Prey plopped out about a year later. So I'd say that they just froze the project initially, then picked it up again and did everything from scratch in a regular timeframe of 1-2 years.

Heh, from wiki:

"n 1995, the first incarnation of the game was announced. Prey, to be developed in tandem with Duke Nukem Forever, and released around the same time, was envisioned by 3D Realms as first of a number of games to be running on unique, cutting edge game engine technology, developed in house. In this sense the project played the same role as Unreal did for Epic Games, and it would retain this role in the company’s strategy throughout its development time in the 3D Realms studios."

• 7 months later...

Bwahaha, best teaser trailer ever. "I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks. Who's first?"

My only complaint is that Duke looks a bit...overdeveloped in the arms. Oh well, it's Duke, I shouldn't be surprised.

That actually looks like it could live up to being in development for ten years. Roll on 3D Realms!