Duke Nukem Forever Turns 10

zero

So it's been ten years since the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever and the game is still in development. There has been a new screenshot that has been reported to be in-game footage:

Gama_duke.gif

Think the game will ever see the light of day?

Yeah, I think it's a wind-up, I think it was probably cancelled a couple of years into development, and they've just been having a laugh at our expense ever since. There's no way a Duke Nukem game can take 10 years to develop, and it can only possibly be an anticlimax when it's released anyway.

What I've been wondering is, where have they been getting the money to remain in business while they develop(and re-develop, and re-re-develop, and re-re-redevelop, and so on) the game? Has 3d realms made any games since the PS1 Duke Nukem games? Did they turn that much profit on the older Duke Nukem games that they can go 10 years without putting out a new project?

Guest clintcasey

Yeah, I think it's a wind-up, I think it was probably cancelled a couple of years into development, and they've just been having a laugh at our expense ever since. There's no way a Duke Nukem game can take 10 years to develop, and it can only possibly be an anticlimax when it's released anyway.

Guest We Are Robots

The game hasn't taken ten years to develop, they keep taking too long and then having to start over, changing development teams, etc. Don't forget that in ten years, the face of PC gaming has changed about a jillion times due to new hardware and technologies. 3D Realms put out Prey, and Max Payne, I remember off the top of my head. So they can, in fact, still make games.

Edited by We Are Robots

The game hasn't taken ten years to develop, they keep taking too long and then having to start over, changing development teams, etc. Don't forget that in ten years, the face of PC gaming has changed about a jillion times due to new hardware and technologies. 3D Realms put out Prey, and Max Payne, I remember off the top of my head. So they can, in fact, still make games.

wasn't Prey also in development for an ungodly amount of time?

and wher the hell has Max Payne been anyway? I'd kill to have a new 360 Max Payne game

From the Max Payne wiki:

Max Payne 3

The ending to Max Payne 2 teases with a message at the end of the credits proclaiming, "Max Payne's journey into the night will continue", but the story itself seems to be over. While a third game in the series was announced by Jeffrey L. Lapin, the CEO of Take-Two Interactive, in 2004, there have been no further announcements regarding the matter – even a developer for the third game has not been named. Remedy Entertainment's name was not mentioned in the announcement, and as the company is currently working on Alan Wake, they are not likely to be working on the Max Payne franchise. At the same time, a post on Shacknews, apparently from Mikael Kasurinen, a level designer for Max Payne 2, read "FYI: We are not making Max Payne 3." GameSpot also notes the game has been canceled.