MMA News and Discussion Thread

I think MMA is too volatile of a sport to be successful over the long term betting on it.

Wrong.

I do not, but only because I'm poor. To be successful at MMA betting you just play the odds, much like any other sport. If you pick based on "winners" you'll fail. You have to play by the lines, even if you think someone will lose they may be good betting value at +240 and thus makes a good bet. Other times you'll have good insider information from following the sport and can see upsets happening and take advantage of line errors.

For those taking notes: Anderson Silva now wants to take some fights at 185 and retire a Middleweight. Partially because Lil' Nog is now coming to the UFC. I would still expect some superfight possibilities though.

Edited by ACCBiggz

I think MMA is too volatile of a sport to be successful over the long term betting on it.

Wrong.

I do not, but only because I'm poor. To be successful at MMA betting you just play the odds, much like any other sport. If you pick based on "winners" you'll fail. You have to play by the lines, even if you think someone will lose they may be good betting value at +240 and thus makes a good bet. Other times you'll have good insider information from following the sport and can see upsets happening and take advantage of line errors.

I understand the concept of sports betting. I still don't feel it's a profitable venture in the long term. Nobody can be certain because MMA as a sport and MMA sport betting even more so are in their infancy, but the list of profitable sports bettors is pretty slim. The NBA is probably the easiest to do well in.

Also, to clarify, if one wanted to be very selective in their betting they could find the occasional bet with very high +EV, bet on it, and make money nearly every time. However, those are not as common as I expect many novice gamblers would think, and the low frequency means that it would be difficult to earn a substantial amount doing so.

Edited by Indie913

So a "friend" of mine is claiming that Anderson Silva will fight George St. Pierre at the UFC debut in Vancouver in June 2010.

I still don't feel it's a profitable venture in the long term.

Again, wrong. Is the average joe going to bet like a pro gambler? No, they'll take sure fights or great, great odds. But sports/MMA betting can be profitable if you have the resources to bet. There are plenty of people that do it, is that to say they are dropping 10,000 dollars and buying houses with their winnings? No. A solid 50-100 here, another 100 there... they are in the black, so that's profitable.

So a "friend" of mine is claiming that Anderson Silva will fight George St. Pierre at the UFC debut in Vancouver in June 2010.

WAY to far in the future. Especially since winner of Kampmann/Swick will fight GSP in early 2010 and Silva will fight again before that. After then, I suppose it's not a terrible guess/possibility.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Dana White says Penn vs. Sanchez will happen in November but it won't be on Spike TV for 105 in Manchester, and it won't be on PPV, so hinting at a network deal there.

Also: "(The chances of us bringing lighter weight classes to the UFC are) very good, and probably real soon," White said. "We're doing like three fights a month next year." He said it won't mean the end of WEC since they signed a new deal with Versus, but it looks like they will be on both promotions apparently in the near future.

White also says that Dan Henderson wants to face Anderson Silva at 105 but is waiting on Maia/Marquardt and then make the decision. Henderson would get shit on there for taking away what would probably have been Silva/Bisping at that event. :shifty:

Cheap plug for my blog...

http://themmazombie.blogspot.com/

I just wrote about the potential effects of bringing up the 135 and 145 pound divisions to the UFC, and what it will do to World Extreme Cagefighting.

Long story short, I expect the UFC will start by bringing in some 145ers from WEC and hiring some outside guys to fill out the division. I think the big fight to look for when the new division appears is Brown/Faber 3. It's the perfect fight to introduce the UFC audience to these smaller fighters.

WEC WILL be a feeder promotion soon. As it stands, guys like Faber and Miguel Torres could be popping buyrates for the UFC, and Dana and Zuffa understand this. WEC is very valuable, and will continue to be, but Urijah Faber is damn near a household name already, and it's time to add a Featherweight Division.

First of all, no-one makes their fortune on betting on sports. The type of people who can afford to put a grand on a fight is rich enough already. >_>

The odds can be pretty decent for a field of only two possible winners (fuck off with the possible draw element :P).

Anyway, I have a triple on Jardine, Gonzago and Vera to win.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

MPH likes. Sure to be a showstealer, and a win over Guida (even though his reputation exceeds his skills) will see Florian look like a top dog at 155 again, not that he doesn't now. I love pretty much all the big fights UFC's been putting together the last few months, I just have reservations about the pacing.

Don't expect to see any non-title five round fights as White has told Keith Keizer that they won't be doing them as they see them as title fights.

"But, I think that's what's so special about fighting for the title. You fight for the title, and it's a five-round fight; you don't, it's a three-round fight. So if everything could be five rounds, what's the point in having title fights at five rounds? Should we do title fights as seven rounds and regular fights (at) five rounds? It just doesn't make sense to me, even though as a fan myself I'd like to see some fights go five rounds that aren't."

• Like 1

Those of you who have DirecTV and watch WEC, as of Midnight today it was officially taken off the air.

Bad news for mixed-martial-arts fans who use DirecTV: The company pulled its Versus feed, which is home to World Extreme Cagefighting, on Tuesday night with no promise it'll return.

DirecTV dropped the signal following a midnight deadline after the broadcast satellite service couldn't reach an agreement with Versus on what it would pay to carry its signal.

Versus, which is also a broadcast home to the NHL, was asking for a fee increase.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) contacted DirecTV officials for comment and was directed to a message on the company's Web site.

The message blamed Comcast, the largest U.S. cable operator in the U.S., for the bloackout The cable company also owns Versus.

"They (Comcast) regularly try to charge us amounts well in excess of what is fair and reasonable to carry the programming they own," the message stated. "Their reason is obvious: They want to stifle competition from DirecTV. Comcast's unfair terms undermines DirecTV's ability to offer our customers the best possible value. If we simply accept these terms, we would have to absorb the unreasonable costs Comcast wants to charge us, and in turn we will be forced to increase the rates our customers pay. We do not want this to happen. In fact, Comcast has forced us to remove Versus because we would not accept the terms they demanded."

DirecTV says Versus is asking for a 20 percent increase in fees. DirecTV reportedly got 18 cents per subscriber before the blackout.

A message on versus.com encourages viewers to contact DirecTV.

Versus, formerly known as the Outdoor Life Network, began broadcasting WEC events in June 2007. The channel, which used to be available in 75 million homes, also airs NCAA football and basketball, the IndyCar Series, the PBR, the UFL, Tour de France coverage and other sports and outdoors programming.

DirectTV is the largest satellite provider in the U.S.

• Like 1

Has this been posted?

It took over fifteen years, but UFC 2 competitor Fred Ettish notched his first career victory over the weekend at a local card in Brainerd, Minn.

The 53-year-old Ettish, who faced ridicule in his previous and only MMA fight, forced a submission Saturday by pounding out the much younger and 11-pound heavier Kyle Fletcher at a Cage Fighting Xtreme event promoted by UFC welterweight Brock Larson.

Ettish (1-1) entered the fight seeking redemption for a 3:07 loss at UFC 2 in March 1994.

"There's a lot of unsettledness within me that's been there every since UFC 2, and I've tried stuffing it down," Ettish told FanHouse last Thursday. "I've tried working through it, I've tried a number of things to deal with the unsettledness of how I feel from what happened at UFC 2 and I haven't been successful putting it away so I came to the conclusion there's only one way to put that stuff to rest and that is to go out and actually perform up to my capabilities which I did not do the first time at all."

185 title picture cleared itself up today:

Post-Fight Press Conference, Nate basically said he could wait as the title shot would come eventually.

Today, Dan said Anderson is the only 185 fight he'd consider right now.

And considering the rematch with Rich was cancelled due to fans not liking it... it would seem 185 is the only spot for him. This is unless he signs at fight at 205, although for the life of me I can't see who he would fight there not jeopardizing his stock at 185.