MMA News and Discussion Thread

Dan Henderson is the logical choice right now. He took a round from Silva in dominating fashion, and is coming off of a brutal KO of Michael Bisping. He's got great momentum and fan support going into a potential Silva rematch.

That said, Anderson seems totally un-interested in the fight... and if we've learned anything, it's that you need to motivate Silva to get the best out of him. So if he defends the belt again, it might be against the winner of Marquardt/Maia, if it's an exciting fight.

Honestly though, I think Anderson should vacate the belt... fight Randy Couture at 205... and then make a permanent jump to Heavyweight. He's not going to challenge Machida, so there's no point in a move to 205 permanently. Silva testing himself against the Heavyweights though, would provide him with a challenge, and it would give Dana a superfight in Anderson Silva Vs Brock Lesnar. Does anybody NOT want to see that happen?

o if he defends the belt again, it might be against the winner of Marquardt/Maia, if it's an exciting fight.

If he defends it will be against Dan Henderson.

Honestly though, I think Anderson should vacate the belt... fight Randy Couture at 205... and then make a permanent jump to Heavyweight

I think he should vacate the title to, but he shouldn't make a permanent move anywhere. There's no need to. He wants Superfights and he can go cross-divisions for that. 205 would be the preferred weight class and the occasional Heavyweight tilt if interesting enough (Cro Cop perhaps if victorious over dos Santos).

Edited by ACCBiggz

o if he defends the belt again, it might be against the winner of Marquardt/Maia, if it's an exciting fight.

If he defends it will be against Dan Henderson.

Honestly though, I think Anderson should vacate the belt... fight Randy Couture at 205... and then make a permanent jump to Heavyweight

I think he should vacate the title to, but he shouldn't make a permanent move anywhere. There's no need to. He wants Superfights and he can go cross-divisions for that. 205 would be the preferred weight class and the occasional Heavyweight tilt if interesting enough (Cro Cop perhaps if victorious over dos Santos).

If he vacates the belt though, he should at least not go back to middleweight. It'd look bad to see the unbeaten champ who gave up the belt still wrecking the division when there's nothing better to do.

As we all know UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort is going head to head with Marquez vs. Mayweather. That card will outdraw UFc pretty easily, but the question comes in how close will the UFC get, and what are the plans by the UFC? Well, here it is.

UFC 103 Undercard to be Televised on Spike TV

Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller

Jim Miller vs. Thiago Tavares

Dan Lauzon vs. Rafaello Oliveira

Paul Daley vs. Brian Foster

Drew McFedries vs. Tomasz Drwal

Jason Brilz vs. Eliot Marshall

Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Igor Pokrajac

Robert Emerson vs. Rafael Dos Anjos

Brazil gets a decent card which is being backed by some government there - and considering there are some good bouts may have to have this in the prediction league :shifty::

Bitetti Combat 4; Sept. 12

Ricardo Arona vs. Marvin Eastman

Paulo Filho vs. Alex Schoenauer

Pedro Rizzo vs. Jeff Monson

Glover Teixeira vs. Leonardo Lucio Nascimento

Luciano Azevedo vs. Milton Vieira

Henrique Nogueira vs. Eduardo Pamplona

Alexandre Pulga vs. Luciano Yzzy

Vitor Miranda vs. Fabio Maldonado

Leandro Batata vs. Cassiano Tytschyo

Apparently it will be two full hours, commercial free, which is even better.

Then they are desperately praying for no decisions.

Edited by ACCBiggz

The Prelims for 103 set to be an hour now Spike have said. Dunno where that leaves us UK Fans. That card in brazil quite decent actually.

Also rumoured is Denis Kang/Michael Bisping and Dan Hardy/Dong Hyun Kim for UFC 105. Bisping not supposed to be main event it looks like Co-Main Event with a rumour of Diego Sanchez/BJ Penn for the Lightweight Title to counter the Manny/Cotto boxing fight

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Sanchez/Penn could do a decent buyrate live. Why waste it on a tape-delay?

It confuses me to no end why UFC will keep their American feeder league open, when merging those fighters into UFC would lead to more money, and not try another one in the UK, where it actually 'could' work to run an arms'-length promotion with its own stars, and not have to deal with the time delay problem.

They air the PPV's live from England, and then again at 10pm. I usually watch them live.

It confuses me to no end why UFC will keep their American feeder league open

*sigh* The WEC is not a feeder league.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Going back a bit, but if Nevada has banned foreign substances that would presumably include Vaseline and whatever is used to stop bleeding as well?

Also MPH shut up with the WEC is a feeder league crap, UFC only has one division that is the same now and some people actually prefer the WEC product.

In general I find the little guys to be more exciting, but I fear they could be lost in the shuffle in the UFC. My reasoning behind this is that if they gave a shit and believed these guys were/could be profitable/marketable Dana would have swallowed them ages ago, or a push would have been made to have them generate more revenue and move to PPV much sooner.

Personally, I find a WEC card to be better than most other MMA cards(inc UFC) as far as entertainment goes and I think that these guys easily stack up on a P4P basis with UFC calibre fighters.

Also MPH shut up with the WEC is a feeder league crap, UFC only has one division that is the same now and some people actually prefer the WEC product.

In general I find the little guys to be more exciting, but I fear they could be lost in the shuffle in the UFC. My reasoning behind this is that if they gave a shit and believed these guys were/could be profitable/marketable Dana would have swallowed them ages ago, or a push would have been made to have them generate more revenue and move to PPV much sooner.

Personally, I find a WEC card to be better than most other MMA cards(inc UFC) as far as entertainment goes and I think that these guys easily stack up on a P4P basis with UFC calibre fighters.

For it to be a feeder league someone would have to win a few and then be "called up" which has never happened. All they have done is fold some of the higher divisions.

Furthermore, my point is that if you bring them to the UFC you might be hurting the other shows. Reason being, people can only afford to buy so many PPV's - especially in this economy. The UFC are already putting on a mass of shows and you start overdoing it because you have so many division and so much talent that'll draw away from other cards and may be overkill to the casual fan.

Not to mention Zuffa probably makes good money on advertising and so forth from their television contract; which hit news today that DirectTV may drop Versus as the two are in a negotiation dispute.

They air the PPV's live from England, and then again at 10pm. I usually watch them live.

Well, usually the UK events don't do well in attracting viewers as the buyrates are always low. Also, this card has been rumored to air on Spike anyways.

I think folding the WEC into the UFC would be a terrible idea. The WEC has been doing very good on its own, has its own stars and puts on some really entertaining fights. Why mess with success? If you added the WEC guys to the UFC, you'd only get 1-2 fights from them each show, while now you're getting full shows on Versus (I really wish they would get a better deal though, something that will allow them to get a wider audience)

I think folding the WEC into the UFC would be a terrible idea. The WEC has been doing very good on its own, has its own stars and puts on some really entertaining fights. Why mess with success? If you added the WEC guys to the UFC, you'd only get 1-2 fights from them each show, while now you're getting full shows on Versus (I really wish they would get a better deal though, something that will allow them to get a wider audience)

Yeah. I don't think that would be a good idea, either. Frankly, I think the UFC is fine where it is; putting other MMA feds out business might be good, but absorbing their fighters into the UFC - with some exceptions - would not.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

GM, are you aware that a) UFC owns WEC already and b) WEC only has three weight classes, two of which aren't in UFC? The only issue of overlap is at lightweight, aside from those fighters there's no reason to think WEC would look second-rate compared to superior UFC fighters.

And I really don't get how you guys think Urijah Faber fighting on Versus does more for his name than headlining a UFC show.

• Like 1

GM, are you aware that a) UFC owns WEC already and b) WEC only has three weight classes, two of which aren't in UFC? The only issue of overlap is at lightweight, aside from those fighters there's no reason to think WEC would look second-rate compared to superior UFC fighters.

And I really don't get how you guys think Urijah Faber fighting on Versus does more for his name than headlining a UFC show.

I know the UFC owns WEC, but UFC is fine with the # of fighters and weight classes it has at the moment, in my opinion. I could see them expanding the UFC eventually, but not any time soon (ie, the next six months).

WEC only has three weight classes, two of which aren't in UFC?

3. They opened a Flyweight division.

And as I said previously. Putting in those divisions into the UFC would cause them to run even more shows and you risk saturating the market being forced to run those shows because you need to have those fighters fight. And, as I previously stated, you lose the TV contract with Versus which is probably a key reason Zuffa keeps the WEC open.