MMA News and Discussion Thread

Wow, that was crazy. Great finish from Machida, fucking lightning quick offense. Although is every person fucking scared to go into this guy? It seems like nobody dares properly attack him and I'm hoping for Rampage/Machida at some point, I can hope. Just crazy. I wanted Rashad to win, but that finish was mad.

Hughes/Serra was a let down IMO, just not the fight I was expecting or hoping for. Hughes was a clear cut winner for me.

Wow, that was crazy. Great finish from Machida, fucking lightning quick offense. Although is every person fucking scared to go into this guy? It seems like nobody dares properly attack him and I'm hoping for Rampage/Machida at some point, I can hope. Just crazy. I wanted Rashad to win, but that finish was mad.

Hughes/Serra was a let down IMO, just not the fight I was expecting or hoping for. Hughes was a clear cut winner for me.

Rampage gets the next shot, since it was suppose to be him and Evans, but he had to pull out, but I expect Machida to win unless Rampage catches him out of nowhere

In spoiler tags, just incase were still inside the spoiler tag window

I thought Rashad would have the best chance of getting a hold of Machida. Nope. A mix of Machida being greased lightning and Evans giving up too much range. He just hung out while Rashad did a bit of shadow boxing, then he'd move in with his crazy karate sequences were everything connects.

Machida is routinely making his opponents look like amateurs. Bring on Page, I don't know if I like his chances any better than Rashad's to be honest. If I'm Page, though, I'm working on a gritty and dirty strategy that is going to put Lyoto in lockdown against the fence. Seriously, good luck with that, but trying to win a straight up stand up battle against Machida is a lost cause unless you can some how wear him out and dumb down that quick step first. Which nobody has been able to do yet.

As for the co-main event, when the fight started it look Hughes looked like he has ready to go old school farmer boy bully on Serra. The accidental head butt and shots that followed made him loopy and he was never able to really recover. It's a credit to his durability and experience that he was able to get his head together quick enough to survive that round. You could tell Hughes was out of it for the rest of the fight and you don't have to like his LnP tactics, but can you blame the guy? He was hurt already and feeling Serra's shots whenever they connected, getting the fight to a position where he was most comfortable and keeping it there was Hughes' best option. Not the most exciting fight, but the fact Hughes looked like he could be dropped at any time when they were standing kept Serra a relevant opponent and made the bout more interesting than it had any right being.

Other that, good win for Edgar making Sherk look pretty ordinary. I had a feeling that the loss to Gray would be huge, but Frankie has two big, back to back wins now and is back in the picture.

And so much for the human highlight reel that is Professor X making any impact in the UFC. Just feed him Alessio Sakara so folks can see what the guy can do.

Guest Zeddy
Hughes/Serra:

Not sure about the Unanimous Decision, but I agree Hughes won the final two rounds. The first round was completely Serra's in my opinion.

What? If Hughes won the last two rounds, and every judge agrees with you, then yes, it should be a unanimous decision - it's not like the judges get together and say "hey, Cecil, Serra put in a good effort, give him round two."

Or do you mean Serra should have got round one 10-8?

Lyoto Machida was awesome out there. I love that he won and I think we'll be seeing a long reign from him. Good to see other people start to see he is great.

Was really hoping Serra would pull out that win, but it was a close fight with Hughes just slightly pulling out the victory in that.

Drew McFedries knocking out Professor X was cool. Good finish.

Frankie Edgar was good out there. Pretty much mostly a boxing match with Edgar doing the better striking out there. I think he'll get the winner of Sanchez/Guida and that winner gets Florian/Penn.

Soszynski and Larson also looked good out there. Good showings by them. Pyle, for a guy coming in on very short notice, was doing good out there, and I loved how he was stringing along those submission attempts. Good recovery by Hague, too.

I was wondering why Lavigne was getting booed, but then I read Meltzer's coverage and saw it was because of the stoppage in Nover vs. Bradley.

Hughes/Serra:

Not sure about the Unanimous Decision, but I agree Hughes won the final two rounds. The first round was completely Serra's in my opinion.

What? If Hughes won the last two rounds, and every judge agrees with you, then yes, it should be a unanimous decision - it's not like the judges get together and say "hey, Cecil, Serra put in a good effort, give him round two."

Or do you mean Serra should have got round one 10-8?

Yeah, my wording was off. Good catch.

Is there something I'm forgetting that Serra did (that wasn't accidental against the rules contact) to get round 1 10-8?

The headbutt is why I WOULD agree with the decision, but after the accidental headbutt Serra just pressed and was able to use the slip to his advantage. He pretty much kept the pace pushing forward and had Hughes on the defense.

I believe Kongo will win. He has the standup and has been working on his ground game big time. Cain may win if he does get it to the ground though, but I really think Kongos size will help be the deciding factor.

Yes, he has been working on his ground game... but to say Cain "may" win is pretty funny. It should be the other way around... Kongo "may" win. We already have an over/under on the minutes Kongo is upright: 2:30.

Although is every person fucking scared to go into this guy? It seems like nobody dares properly attack him and I'm hoping for Rampage/Machida at some point, I can hope. Just crazy.

It isn't a thing of nobody daring to properly attack him, it's just nothing has worked so far and everyone has tried something different. Rashad is always a slow starter, but I really thought his early gameplan was wrong. With the reach and distance he should have been the one moving forward forcing Machida to back off --- and then start cutting off the cage. Being the one backing up, and allowing the distance made him a sitting duck. Also, after he was rocked and instinct was going on I thought his natural instinct would be wrestling, but he kept standing and it was over.

In my opinion Rashad is the perfect type of fighter to beat Lyoto, the gameplan just didn't work out and needs some tweaking to go into the fourth and fifth rounds. Rampage is a perfect style for Machida, especially with him not checking leg kicks. Once they coach TUF10 and square off in December, Rampage needs to bank on his chin and force Machida against the cage (something that won't be easy and I don't think he can do). Will need to keep Machida from circling away and grind Machida against the cage and use that for takedowns. Outside of that he is looking for a one-punch KO which is possible, just VERY unlikely. There isn't a lot for Rampage to do against Machida, because he isn't this all-rounded fighter with exceptional speed.

After him you got Shogun? His aggressiveness would be Thiago Silva II. Forrest? He's not the right type of fighter, and we may see Anderson take him out of the picture. And then if he can win again --- Rashad for a second try. Outside of them the light heavy's from a contender point is rough. If I am Joe Silva I start moving Brandon Vera up the ladder and put him in a contenders bout, and if Rich looks good against Wanderlei then I would think about that because at least there is a storyline and Rich is smart enough to make it interesting at least.

Hughes vs. Serra I scored 30-27. That first round was really close, but I didn't see much outside of the first couple punches, and Hughes came back with a big takedown and some halfway decent ground and pound. But the second and third were clearly for Hughes. That fight went nearly exactly how I thought it would go. Serra is just too small and I think he knows it which is why he said he just wants exciting fights.

Frank Edgar looked decent and made Sherk look medicore, as he is. However, Frank isn't a top contender. But he should be a good gatekeeper for those who want to be contenders.

Brock Larson will hopefully get a step up in competition after his quick win. Was impressive.

Drew/X went how I thought. Drew would KO or get Subbed. I went Sub, but was not shocked at all becuase that is how all of his fights are. Now we'll see Drew get Subbed again while X will either be cut or get a middleweight reject he can manhandle.

The spoiler window has to be closed now, right?

I agree Rampage is a perfect opponent for Machida solidify himself even more as the best at 205. Pages leaves little of his movements to anticipation. Most often he is coming straight in, like Biggz said, he doesn't check leg kicks. In fact it's rare he is covering up anything but his head and I can see Machida doing the most damage with kicks to the body. Page has those loopy snap hooks and uppercuts that are very difficult to read and connect with crushing force, which means Machida will roll the dice whenever he comes in. I don't know if Page throws at a speed that can catch Machida coming in, though, he may just leave himself open to get popped.

I'd say Page's best bet would be to watch a shitload of tape, then put together a strategy where he can lure Machida into attack, try (or pray) to take minimal damage, and catch him with one of those patented heatseekers under the radar while Lyoto is backpedaling. Try to time it so him can sock him on the way out. He may at least have an opportunity to get Machida up against the fence and to work from there. I mean that that's really the only way I can see Quinton having any success against him.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Yeah, but isn't that the exact same gameplan Cote used against Anderson Silva?

What's wrong with that? Cote did a good job of forcing Silva to strike first, and picking his own shots. I know Biggz always likes to remind me that Cote didn't do any significant damage, and that's fine, but aside from Dan Henderson, Patrick Cote is the only guy so far to really even show a glimpse that he could hang with Silva.

I can't wait til he comes back. With what happened to him, and the freak injury, I expect that he's going to return guns blazing, looking for a rematch, and knocking fuckers out left and right until he gets it.

Patrick Cote is the only guy so far to really even show a glimpse that he could hang with Silva.

:lmao:

I expect that he's going to return guns blazing, looking for a rematch, and knocking fuckers out left and right until he gets it.

:lmao: :lmao:

Edited by ACCBiggz

Yeah, but isn't that the exact same gameplan Cote used against Anderson Silva?

What's wrong with that? Cote did a good job of forcing Silva to strike first, and picking his own shots. I know Biggz always likes to remind me that Cote didn't do any significant damage, and that's fine, but aside from Dan Henderson, Patrick Cote is the only guy so far to really even show a glimpse that he could hang with Silva.

I can't wait til he comes back. With what happened to him, and the freak injury, I expect that he's going to return guns blazing, looking for a rematch, and knocking fuckers out left and right until he gets it.

lol.