MMA News and Discussion Thread

For health reasons, I'm all for guys turning it in when they reach a certain age and start showing signs of not being able to keep up with the top guys.

I just don't think it's a feasible option all the time. There are some guys who just can't stop. This is all they know, and it's what they love doing. If the UFC won't let them, then someone else will, and they'll probably even pay them a ridiculously large amount of money to do so.

I figure, giving the guys the option in a controlled environment is far better than hoping they can exit the sport gracefully, and letting some of these guys slip through the cracks and wind up fighting anyways.

It's definitely good to make guys retire at a certain point for health reasons. When you start getting KO'd regularly, you have to hang it up. Especially if you're a guy who has made enough from MMA and will be able to make enough money of their name so as to not have to do anything else.

Edited by damshow

This is a "MMA journalist's" response to Lashley appearing at Lockdown.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4083634

Barely a day or two after I lauded former WWE acrobat Bobby Lashley for arriving in MMA with the proper humility -- he had been content to enter the sport through the service entrance, fighting in smaller shows against lower-tier competition -- he has to go and ruin it.

Lashley popped up during something called "TNA Lockdown" Sunday night, which appears to be professional wrestling slang for "embarrassment to the human race." Lashley greeted former WWE pal Kurt Angle in the ring. I assume some poorly performed theater for the hygiene-challenged ensued.

Lashley obviously can do as he pleases to earn a buck, but I don't think his hybrid career will do the sport of MMA any favors in the States. It's a deranged spectacle, full of drug-addled performers taxing their adrenal glands in a poorly scripted imitation of athletics.

Max von Sydow had the quote in a Woody Allen film: "Can you imagine the level of a mind that watches wrestling?" I really don't want to try.

Jake Rossen is the editor of Real Fighter magazine and a contributor to Sherdog.com. He began covering mixed martial arts in 1998.

----

Now while something called "TNA Lockdown" Sunday night, which appears to be professional wrestling slang for "embarrassment to the human race." may be a fantastic line, the whole article is just garbage. Then again it is someone from Sherdog, so its to be expected I guess. I can only imagine the sort of person that would want to work there(!)

Also, I wasn't sure if in here or the MMA thread would be better, so I'm posting it in both as different people read both threads >_>

I'm not a big Jake Rossen fan myself, although Real Fighter is a solid publication I enjoy. He tries too hard to be funny at times. But I agree it hurt Lashley in MMA. I was very disappointed, especially after he seemed very interested in doing TUF this upcoming season, and continued talking about being in the UFC in about 18 months or less.... take all that away because it is not even remotely going to happen. Strikeforce can be interested all they want, that's his best bet.

The rumors are true: MMA's undisputed #1 heavyweight and Japan's top lightweight will square off in a special exhibition match at next Wednesday's DEEP/M-1 Challenge event. DEEP President Shigeru Saeki and Shinya Aoki announced the fight today at a press conference in Tokyo; Fedor was not present, though his manager Vadim Finkelstein and Affliction VP Tom Atencio are said to be in Japan at the moment. The specifications and rules for the bout have not been finalized, but Saeki likened it to this week's K-1 MAX exhibition between Masato and 17-year-old kickboxing phenom HIROYA. (For what it's worth, HIROYA wore headgear and both parties wore shinguards.) Due to the weight difference between the two, this will presumably be a pure grappling or Sambo match. Aoki says he's pleased to be able to set foot in the ring with "the symbol of MMA."

Aoki vs. Fedor.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Ken Hayashi was at UFC 97, apparently the first MMA he'd seen in a very long time. Sid Seixeiro is speculating that this means regulated MMA in Ontario is on its way.

Kyle Maynard had his MMA debut over the weekend and lost via decision. Why Alabama licensed him I'll never know.

In other news:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Greg Page, a former heavyweight boxing champion who suffered a severe brain injury in a 2001 fight, has died at his Louisville home. He was 50.

His wife, Patricia Page, said she found the one-time World Boxing Association champion in his bed Monday morning. Patricia Page said he died of complications related to injuries he suffered in the fight.

Page told The Associated Press her husband "is in a better place now."

The March 9, 2001, fight left Page in a coma for nearly a week. He then had a stroke during post-fight surgery. He was paralyzed on his left side and received intensive physical therapy.

Page won a $1.2 million settlement in 2007 with Kentucky boxing officials over the lack of medical personnel at the fight. Boxing officials also agreed to establish a medical review panel for the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority to check the health conditions of people involved in the sport who may be at risk for injury.

Page started fighting while growing up in Louisville and was sparring with Muhammad Ali by the time he was 15. He became the National Golden Gloves heavyweight champion in 1978 at age 20.

He turned to professional boxing and lost his first shot at the WBA heavyweight championship in 1984 to Tim Witherspoon. In December of that year, Page knocked out Gerrie Coetzee in the eighth round of their bout in South Africa to claim the title, but lost on points to Tony Tubbs five months later.

Page continued boxing through 1993, then took two years off after being knocked out by Bruce Seldon. He started again in 1996.

Page was 42 and had a 58-16-1 career record going into the $1,500 fight against Dale Crowe at Peels Palace in Erlanger, Ky., near Cincinnati. Crowe was 24 and an up-and-coming boxer. Page went down after 10 rounds and didn't get up.

Patricia Page said Monday that funeral arrangements were pending.

This is a testament to MMA, their rules, and why Chuck Liddell should retire.

Nick Diaz is once again fighting at 180 catchweight, this time against Scott Smith on June 6th. Great fight added to second Strikeforce on Showtime card.

MAIN CARD

* Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields

* Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith

* Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Jared Hamman

* Champ Alistair Overeem vs. TBA (for Strikeforce world heavyweight title)*

* Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs

* Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos vs. Joey Villasenor*

* Jorge Gurgel vs. TBA*

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Josh Bumgarner vs. Jesse Finney

* Tyron Woodley vs. Sal Woods

* Lucas Lopes vs. Scott Ventimiglia

* Pat Benson vs. Dave Cochran

* Booker DeRousse vs. James Wade

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yikes. I figured they'd keep building Rogers up - even if they did eventually feed him to Overeem or whoever the HW champ at the time is, not on the midcard of a Showtime event.

Forrest Griffin vs. Anderson Silva (I assume at 205) is official for August 8 (which I believe is UFC 101).

Now THAT should be interesting.

Forrest can take some punishment, and I would love to see him bounce back from losing the title by beating the seemingly unbeatable Anderson Silva. I want to see this fight.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Plus a demolition of James Irvin still doesn't really tell us what Anderson's like at 205, and Forrest isn't going to give us any of the bullshit Cote and Leites did. Just when I thought there'd be a cooling off period after Lesnar/Mir, they suck me back in.