MMA News and Discussion Thread

Gilbert Yvel, wow, talk about a random signing. He's dangerous and it should be an interesting fight but I think its an indictation of how thin the heavyweight division is/how much the UFC is stretching themselves at the moment, for them to be signing someone that they'd never really given a second look at before now.

You know, I thought so too, but Biggz and I discussed this way back when he was signed (a couple months ago), and Yvel has rattled off three impressive stoppages in a row, including a totaly demolishing of Pedro Rizzo.

That's what's so good about him. His ground game is so mind-bogglingly crap but his stand-up is scary good when he's on (Goodridge headkick anyone?). I personally find it a bit of a risk in that, with all the injuries, the HW division could do with some stability, so they throw in arguably the divisions wildcard.

Lil' Nog/Vera could happen at UFC 109.

EDIT: Oh, and does Dana have a grudge against anyone else in the UFC like he does Roy Nelson? Dana and Chuck were twittering earlier today about boar hunting, and Dana said something to the effect of Nelson is "boaring me", I wish someone would shoot him. Or something. I thought it was amusing :shifty:

What do you expect? Dana White is a cunt.

The thing with Dana is that he is no more of a cunt than anyone else he just gets a high profile to display it. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending some of his more idiotic instances, but he really isn't saying anything anyone else wouldn't say. He is a normal guy that happens to have one of the most badass jobs and he stays true to his roots.

If you're familiar with Entourage think of Dana White as the UFC/MMA version of Billy Walsh (director, "suits suck" guy).

EDIT* Biggz and I were talking and he just actually pointed out that Dana is not the one that said that comment, it was someone on Liddell's follower list who tagged White in the comment.

Edited by Gene Kiniski
  • Like 1

Rampage to return to the UFC in 2010:

Now, I wanted to let my fans know that I'm going to come back to the UFC & finish my contract. Not because the haters are talking [expletive] about me being scared of Rashad or [Darrill Schoonover] or anybody else. I'm coming back for my fans & to shut Rashad's mouth up & shut Dana's mouth up. Then after that I'm going back to doing movies & I might do a boxing match once a year just to stay in shape. Hate on dis!

Who didn't see this coming? Although I must admit, I'm pretty surprised it's come so quickly.

Edited by ZJ Penn

Guest Mr. Grinch
--For what it's worth, both Kenny Florian and Clay Guida yesterday thought B.J. Penn was going to run through Diego Sanchez. Florian, who has fought both men, predicted a first or second round TKO. Guida, whose match with Sanchez this past June is considered one of the best matches in UFC history, said that Penn will win "whenever he wants however he wants."

I trust these guys, but I hope they're wrong. If Diego can't beat Penn, nobody in UFC can beat him at 155. And considering how dominated he was by GSP...either GSP's in a different stratosphere, or 155 is a seriously weak division.

Of course they could just be wrong. Seems to happen a lot when Diego's involved.

I think that Florian can beat Penn if/when they face again. Kenny has all the tools and is only getting better. The last match he did get outclassed, but I would account part of that to nerves and not knowing what he is getting into against someone like Penn. Kenny is a very mentally strong fighter and very motivated, which is something Penn lacks at times (motivation, not mentality - although the later is arguable. :shifty:) With the experience that he has now - four rounds with the champion.

Not that it is a big deal since it was pretty much known by now that he was going there, but Henderson officially signed with Strikeforce.

From Strikeforces' Facebook: Breaking News: Four-time MMA world champion and two-time United States Olympic wrestler Dan Henderson signs with Strikeforce!

• Like 1

If this doesn't lead to Hendo vs. Mousasi in April then Strikeforce's whole 'putting on the biggest fights' schtick is buullsheeet.

I think that keeping them apart until nearing the end of Hendo's contract is the best idea. Besides, there are plenty of matches that will work for the time being. Dan against Frank Shamrock in a legends fight... Dan against Jake Shields in a fight that would force Shields to show some kind of second dimension to his game... Dan against any one of Lawler, Scott Smith or Benji Radach in a "You Can Hit Hard, But I Can Hit Harder" fight.

So off the top of my head, there's a number of things that he can be doing in the meantime.

• Like 1

Shields has already been receptive to the fight according to MMAJunkie. Henderson may take fights at 185 first as that is a division with more options for fights and maybe more money matches for him. Also I have a feeling if King Mo wins decisively in his bout with Whitehead I have a feeling they will start the build toward a King Mo vs Mousasi bout. To me it seems like Strikeforce want a fighter and personality of their own that they can hitch their wagon to. King Mo could be it.

MMAweekly put up an interview from 2006 with John McCarthy explaining the banning of the 12-to-6 elbow.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10178&zoneid=13

“You have all these different organizations, and you have all these people with what they want to be able to do, so it’s tough to get people to agree on things. Finally, one of the things that was brought up is in one of the fights a fighter took another guy’s back and tried to sink in a choke. He couldn’t sink in the choke, so he started taking his hand and bringing it up and elbowing to the back of the guy’s head and neck.

“The doctor from New Jersey had a conniption about it. He said I will never ever pass something that allows that type of strike. That could be life threatening, and he started going into his thing, and so the one elbow they took out was that elbow, that type of position. The way that they wrote it up, you could interpret it a ton of ways, but the true position they were talking about was the hand coming up to twelve o’clock to six o’clock.”

• Like 1

The UFC have released the whole card for UFC 109 to be held on the 6th of Feb at Mandalay Bay:

The latest UFC 109 card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Mark Coleman vs. Randy Couture

* Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago

* Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Brandon Vera

* Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen

* Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller

* Justin Buchholz vs. Mac Danzig

* Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres

* Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer

* Rob Emerson vs. Phillipe Nover

* Rolles Gracie vs. Mostapha Al Turk

So Couture and Coleman headline, what are peoples thoughts?

Persoanlly I am looking forward to Little Nog vs Vera, should be a good test for both fighters and if Little Nog looks like in the Cane fight we could be seeing another good knockout, and at least it might give Vera a chance to stand and bang with an opponent, Coleman and Couture is interesting, if maybe not 100% relelvant now, I like the Marquardt Sonnen match up should be competetive and Serra vs Trigg could have some interesting smack talk :shifty:

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Grinch

Carlos Condit has pulled out of his UFC 108 fight with Paul Daley. Dustin Hazelett is stepping in as a replacement, which should make for a very entertaining fight. (Horrible draw power for a co-feature, but that was the case with Condit too.)

Also Denis Kang, Roli Delgado, and somebody else I can't remember have been released by UFC. Kang surprises me, I'm sure he'll end up on his feet either in Strikeforce or back in Japan.