MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

As usual for a European show, Rogers Sportsnet will be showing UFC 105 live at 3 PM EST. Which means Canadians can watch it on TV and most of you can probably find it somewhere too. :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

GSP may try to make the Canadian Olympic wrestling team in 2012

MANCHESTER -- UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre says he may take a crack at making the Canadian Olympic wrestling team for the 2012 Summer Games.

"It's something in my mind but the thing is I'm on contract with the UFC," the Montreal mixed martial arts star told reporters Friday prior to the UFC 105 weigh-in. "So I have to be very careful in what I'm saying, but we'll see."

"There is a big difference between saying I want to go to the Olympic Games and actually going to the Olympic Games," he added. "It's very hard. To do the tryouts and everything it's very hard. You have to pass through a bunch of obstacles before you get there."

UFC president Dana White seemed supportive when told of St. Pierre's Olympic dream.

"It would be great if he won a medal," White told a UFC conference call later Friday.

St. Pierre, seen as one of the best wrestlers in MMA, was training for the Olympic trials in 2007 when he was summoned as an injury replacement for Matt Serra to fight Matt Hughes at UFC 79. He put his wrestling plans on hold to fight Hughes.

He was planning to compete in the 84-kilogram class.

St. Pierre, 28, routinely trains with some of Canada's top amateurs at the Montreal Wrestling Club.

"It's tough. It wouldn't be easy. But maybe we'll see what's in to happen in London," he said with a laugh of his Olympic dream.

St. Pierre has also been sparring with pro boxers Librado Andrade (due to take on IBF super-middleweight champion Lucian Bute in a rematch) and Enrique Ornelas (slated to meet Bernard Hopkins).

NOTES -- UFC president Dana White says the UFC still plans to come to Vancouver, although it may not in June as originally targeted. Toronto remains on the organization's radar, although Ontario still has to sanction the sport. "We're still working on Toronto. Obviously it's a huge market for us. We know it. And I think it will be the biggest mixed martial arts event ever in North America. And I think it will be a long time before we beat it." ... White said he would not hold off St. Pierre's next title defence until it could be held in Canada. "Canada is so crazy, we could go there with anybody headlining and it's going to be big. People in Canada obviously love Georges St. Pierre, but people in Canada are UFC fans period."

Good for him if he can do it - and if he's willing to put that much money on the table, I guess - but anything less than a gold would probably look bad on MMA considering his reputation.

• Like 2

If anyone cares to know what the 30 most watched live/same day tape-delayed fights are, here is a list (the link has the ratings/time period it aired):

http://www.ivansblog.com/2009/11/top-30-most-watched-fights-on-live.html

Top 10 are: Kimbo vs. Thompson, Ortiz vs. Shamrock, Petruzelli vs. Kimbo, Lawler vs. Smith, Rampage vs. Henderson, Carano vs. Young, Bisping vs. Hamill, Fedor vs. Rogers, Shields vs. Daley, and Carano vs. Kobold.

11-20: Arlovski vs. Nelson, Grove vs. Price, Kongo vs. Cro Cop, Davis vs. Taylor, Silva vs. Irvin, Shields vs. Miller, Villasenor vs. Baroni, MacDonald vs. Herman, Alexander vs. Sakara, and Hamill vs. Petruzelli.

21-30: Mousasi vs. Sokoudjou, Vera vs. Andy, Rogers vs. Murphy, Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop, Penn vs. Pulver, Werdum vs. Silva, Velasquez vs. O'Brien, Diaz vs. Guillard, Radach vs. Rua, and Arolovski vs. Werdum.

It's good to know Matt Riddle's parent's preference re. circumcision but surely he could have done something to make it less obvious. Not that I personally disapprove, but it doesn't help the 'bunch of gays laying on each other in their underwear' argument.

Read this earlier and laughed. Not because of the fight itself, but because I ended up on the Sherdog forums after the Vera fight reading people complain "what next - Randy/Coleman in an age battle?". Irony.

I give the edge to Randy, but Coleman could provide a very good fight for him. The styles are similar enough to cause problems for one another.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's kind of scary when you realize how obvious that matchup is. If Couture wins, he's suddenly credible again and they can feed him to whomever or put him against Tito if Tito looks bad. If Coleman wins, it's a miraculous return to form for the legend.

I wouldn't say that. I mean, when Randy defeated Vera this was the first fight that came to my mind for him, but I wouldn't say he is going to get fed to anyone. Both men are coming off of victories (Vera for Randy, Bonnar for Coleman) and back to back wins for either could boost them to the front of the line in the division with the shape that it is in right now. Not saying that it is weak, but with Rampage out, Hendo gone, Forrest on back to back losses, Shogun & Machida still wrapped up in that situation (and Machida's injury), back to back wins could do a lot for a fighters standings.

Plus, if Coleman loses then he losses to Randy who is, well, Randy. No one ever holds a Couture loss against you. Depending on the outcome of this fight and the LHW title rematch you could easily set up the Coleman/Shogun rubber match or the Couture/Machida match that Randy has been outspoken about.

Double post, but I found this amusing:

Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Jake Shields took to a rematch outside the cage and online through the social networking service Twitter late Sunday to rekindle their rivalry from their Nov. 7 Strikeforce middleweight title bout.

It all began when Miller posted, "Jake, the worst damage you did was give me staph, zit covered leg humper."

Shields, who captured the vacant belt by defeating Miller by unanimous decision after five rounds, responded an hour later with "You seem upset?," punctuating the taunt with a link to a photo of himself posing next to a bookshelf filled with championship belts.

"Hugged your way to all those? Let's do it again, I'll hold on after the bell this time," Miller wrote back.

Shields took a cheap shot next at Miller, who was arrested in December 2005 for allegedly breaking into his ex-girlfriend's home and attacking her male friend. Miller was later found not guilty on charges of assault and burglary.

"I'm on to bigger & better fights like always. I mean ur last real win was when you beat up your girlfriend and got arrested," said Shields.

Miller closed the exchange of jabs with "you're just scared of a rematch, just say it. Or your daddy will say it. B---h."

On a more positive note, Shields commented on Georges St-Pierre namedropping him over the weekend as a dream opponent.

"Just heard GSP listed me as his dream fight," Shields wrote. "HUGE honor 2 be able 2 challenge myself against 1 of the most dominant champs ever someday."

http://mmafighting.com/news/2009/11/16/mayhem-miller-jake-shields-tweetin-trash

Not sure how I got onto that site or came across it at all, but I got a bit of a laugh out of it. I am hoping for a rematch.

It's good to know Matt Riddle's parent's preference re. circumcision but surely he could have done something to make it less obvious. Not that I personally disapprove, but it doesn't help the 'bunch of gays laying on each other in their underwear' argument.

Err what?

I'm guessing he somehow saw Riddle's penis in his fight against Osipczak at 105. That's probably the only reason Quom watches anyway. :w00t:

• Like 1

Karo Parisyan pulled out of the 106 bout with Dustin Hazelett.

"Karo Parisyan has [expletive] over the UFC, the fans and his opponent again!!!" White wrote. "He will not be fighting Saturday or ever again in the UFC!!"

In a follow-up message, White stated Parisyan "pulled out of the fight the day before weigh-ins again with a laundry list of excuses."