MMA News and Discussion Thread

Cut after UFC 101: Thales Leites (yay!), Danillo Villefort, George Roop, Dan Cramer, and Tamdan McCrory (boo).

Rumored to be brought back: Phil Baroni.

I love Baroni, and I'm glad he's supposedly agreed verbally to sign a contract... but at the expense of Villefort and McCrory? In terms of draw and excitement, I guess the argument could be made that Baroni is more valuable... but in terms of level of competition, I don't even think it's close.

Sucks that McCrory is gone. I can't see the point in bringing back Baroni though. Guy is nearing a losing win/loss record. 13-11 is awful, and don't see him beating anyone of note in the welterweight division... I like Baroni, he comes to fight, but with that type of record and in a strong division like the welterweight division, is he really worth signing just to keep him from Strikeforce?

• Like 2

Sucks that McCrory is gone. I can't see the point in bringing back Baroni though. Guy is nearing a losing win/loss record. 13-11 is awful, and don't see him beating anyone of note in the welterweight division... I like Baroni, he comes to fight, but with that type of record and in a strong division like the welterweight division, is he really worth signing just to keep him from Strikeforce?

As long as they recognize what he's good for, the Baroni signing will be awesome. He should be used the same way that Drew McFedries is being used in the Middleweight Division. Just set Baroni up against guys who are willing to stand and bang, because the odds are very good that he won't ever be a title contender again.

This is clearly a signing to spite Strikeforce though... and I expect many more to come. Anybody worth anything at all to the UFC, when their contracts with Strikeforce end, will likely get offers. They've probably got their eye on Brett Rogers right now too. I think that a Rogers signing, as well as the creation of a womens division in WEC, are the two biggest blows that the UFC can give to Strikeforce in terms of talent raiding.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I don't get why they're even keeping WEC alive (well, aside from the TV deal with Versus). Aside from hardcores and the CBS crowd, NOBODY follows an MMA organization other than UFC. Any fight with the UFC name attached will do better than the same fight with any other name attached.

• Like 1

Sixteen celebrities from the worlds of entertainment, sports and politics will be kicking up their heels on the new season of "Dancing With the Stars."

The show's largest cast ever, announced Monday, features singers Mya, Macy Gray and Aaron Carter; actors Ashley Hamilton, Melissa Joan Hart and Debi Mazar; and models Joanna Krupa and Kathy Ireland.

Contestants also include reality stars Mark Dacascos and Kelly Osbourne; entertainer Donny Osmond; mixed martial artist Chuck Liddell; professional snowboarder Louie Vito; Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin; former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin and former Republican Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

Liddell and Irvin... I'll watch.

Sixteen celebrities from the worlds of entertainment, sports and politics will be kicking up their heels on the new season of "Dancing With the Stars."

The show's largest cast ever, announced Monday, features singers Mya, Macy Gray and Aaron Carter; actors Ashley Hamilton, Melissa Joan Hart and Debi Mazar; and models Joanna Krupa and Kathy Ireland.

Contestants also include reality stars Mark Dacascos and Kelly Osbourne; entertainer Donny Osmond; mixed martial artist Chuck Liddell; professional snowboarder Louie Vito; Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin; former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin and former Republican Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

Liddell and Irvin... I'll watch.

Fedor was supposed to be on the show too but ABC wouldn't co-promote with M1.

• Like 2

Strikeforce average 576,000 viewers. UFC 100 grabbed nearly 2 million on Spike. Was the most viewed Showtime show however beating out Kimbo/Tank.

The telecast bested heavy sports competition during the day in the advertiser-coveted demographic of Men 18-34:

UFC 100 (Spike TV) – 513,000

PGA Championship (CBS) – 479,000

MLB Baseball (FOX) – 242,000

Strikeforce (Showtime) – 181,000

Edited by ACCBiggz