MMA News and Discussion Thread

Diaz once again no-showed the drug test.

Was expected.

For those that don't know this story. Diaz apprently was caught off-guard by this new CSAC drug testing policy that has been in effect for months and much publicized, especially after Barnett recently, and didn't show up because he would have tested positive for weed. Which, apprently, he has a prescription for due to being "overactive" or as I like to call it... addiction to pot. He's a known pothead, bottomline, the prescription is just an excuse.

Gracie tried to say that they had a deal with Garcia where Diaz would only be tested night of fights to prove he wasn't high during them, but would not be tested prior due to the prescription. However, it should be pointed out Garcia was ousted as no one thought he did a good job and new director Bill Douglas instantly put in new testing policies - something as a fighter you should know and look into. He has no one to blame but himself really.

• Like 1

Here is my issue with that - known pothead or not - if you have a medical prescription for something I truly believe that as long as he is not entering the fight high (who was it that said they used to fight stoned? I can't recall.) then he should be exempt from the Marijuana portion of the test. You know he is going to test positive for it, he knows he is going to test positive for him and for whatever reason there is a doctor behind him testing positive for it.

"Addiction to Pot" Biggz? You're better than that. The only people who talk about marijuana addictions are people who've never really smoked it before, and people who are such big lazy ass fuck ups, that they would just use something else as an excuse for ruining their lives if it wasn't weed.

That said, it is on the banned substances list, and these are the rules. It's unfortunate, but he should have known better. He needs to work this out with the Commission, or in the future, just be prepared to test when he's supposed to test.

All disasters aside, the Strikeforce show should still be a very good one, and Hieron Vs Taylor will be a very good fight.

• Like 1

"Addiction to Pot" Biggz? You're better than that. The only people who talk about marijuana addictions are people who've never really smoked it before, and people who are such big lazy ass fuck ups, that they would just use something else as an excuse for ruining their lives if it wasn't weed.

Please don't try to start this argument. There is plenty of data on both sides, especially if one debates the meaning/intent behind the term 'addiction'.

Having said that if you blew an alcohol reading a few days before a fight they wouldn't stop you from fighting and in this regard I think weed should be the same.

Not smoking weed isn't like quitting smoking or heroin because there is absolutely no chemical dependency with marijuana like there is with other drugs like nicotine, heroin, etc. and any "addiction" is completely mental to the person consuming it. People can have mental addictions to things but anybody that's "addicted" to marijuana easily could've and probably would've been addicted to something else, which is the point that Gabriel was trying to make, albeit not as nice.

And yeah, I don't see what the big deal is about it as long as he's not high during the fight as I would imagine that wouldn't bode well with their insurance coverage.

Edited by Livid

Here is my issue with that - known pothead or not - if you have a medical prescription for something I truly believe that as long as he is not entering the fight high (who was it that said they used to fight stoned? I can't recall.) then he should be exempt from the Marijuana portion of the test. You know he is going to test positive for it, he knows he is going to test positive for him and for whatever reason there is a doctor behind him testing positive for it.

Ridiculous. You can get a prescription for virtually every drug tested for before a fight. Should Barnett be allowed to fight if he can find some mark Doctor to write him a presciption for steroids? Of course not and its the same deal for Diaz. You shouldn't bend the rules because someone is too lazy, too addicted or too stupid to get off of drugs that are banned by the sports governing body.

He can smoke weed as much as he wants, as long as he quits two weeks before taking his pre-fight test, and doesn't resume again until after a potential post-fight test. He doesn't have to quit smoking it altogether.

I'm not happy that he won't be fighting, but it's part of the rules, and he'll have to learn to abide by them. Like I said though, Hieron Vs Taylor shouldn't disappoint.

Its the second time Diaz has ruined a fight Strikeforce has been promoting because of his inability to get off marijuana. It'll be interesting to see if Coker has the balls to cut him or at least drop him down to less meaningful fights or if he'll continue to promote someone who so far has only been able to make fifty percent of his advertised fights for the promotion.

He can smoke weed as much as he wants, as long as he quits two weeks before taking his pre-fight test, and doesn't resume again until after a potential post-fight test. He doesn't have to quit smoking it altogether.

Given that the CSAC can now call up fighters for tests outside of competition, this is no longer the case.

Edited by NBT

Its the second time Diaz has ruined a fight Strikeforce has been promoting because of his inability to get off marijuana. It'll be interesting to see if Coker has the balls to cut him or at least drop him down to less meaningful fights or if he'll continue to promote someone who so far has only been able to make fifty percent of his advertised fights for the promotion.

Given that the CSAC can now call up fighters for tests outside of competition, this is no longer the case.

...this... I do not agree with. If a fighter fails a scheduled pre-fight or random post-fight testing, then by all means... punish the hell out of them. But what a fighter does in his or her personal life, outside of Mixed Martial Arts, is nobody's business. I think it's an invasion of privacy, and it's not right.

This puts Coker in a tough spot though, because Nick won't quit. He doesn't have to. As long as people will pay him to fight in places that won't treat him like this, he won't quit.

I don't know. That just seems like a bit much.

You pay a certain price when you agree to be a fighter. Not taking drugs is one of those things.

You pay a certain price when you agree to be a fighter. Not taking drugs is one of those things.

Except, there are plenty of places where he can go fight, make the same money, and not get hassled about his lifestyle. So.. really... it's a matter of whether he wants to fight in California or not, and how bad. Obviously, he's not going to quit smoking... so, not bad enough. Japan is the most attractive place.

So its fine for fighters to takes steroids or other drugs that increase their potential for muscle gain, turn around time for training, et cetera as long as they cycle off at the right time and come through the test clean? The CSAC isn't trying to prevent fighters from living normal lives, it is trying to prevent people from shortening their lives by using drugs for short-term gains in the sport.

If Diaz wants to fight in California he is going to have to be wary of the fact that the CSAC could realistically test him at any time. Given that his license has expired, Diaz will have to be tested before his next fight regardless of where it is.