MMA News and Discussion Thread

Faydor. :shifty:

It's quite funny actually how a guy with a surname like Emelianenko (not even sure if thats right, didn't check) has his first name pronounced wrong more often, moreso given it's only five letters.

Edited by ZJ Penn

Bas interviewed him recently and asked, someone can find the video... but it sounded almost like they said "Fay-jah", but I could have misheard that and it be "Fay-deh". Someone would essentially have to listen to that interview again and post what it was he said.

Strikeforce and Dream announced an official partnership to share talent. Shinya Aoki is expected to be brought over soon. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza will be fighting there this fall as he signed a multi-fight deal.

Edited by Fitzy
  • Like 1

Aoki won't be brought over until at least 2010 as he is fighting Joachim Hansen in October. And we'll see if Jacare actually fights in the Fall as DREAM are rumored to also do a Middleweight title fight featuring Paulo Filho. Everyone was expecting Mayhem/Jacare again, but that's not happening. It's possble they do Filho/Mayhem with the winner fighting Jacare if he wins in Strikeforce I suppose, but as with Japan talent exchanges/partnerships - I'll believe things when they actually happen. :shifty:

I find it interesting that it took Fedor to sign with Strikeforce for Dana White to change his opinion on Strikeforce. He has always complimented them in the past and never hated on them like he would EliteXC and most recently Affliction.

"He'll put them out of business," White said of Emelianenko. "They have no money. They have no money, and they have no distribution. Four [expletive] people watch Showtime.

"You know how many people watch their fights? Their last fight, 245,000 people watched that fight (on Showtime). That's nothing. ... They should have stayed the way they were."

"They're a small-town show," White said facetiously. "(Middleweight champion) Cung Le hasn't defended the title since like 1997. (Lightweight champ) Josh Thomson hasn't defended the belt in like two years. Who is their other champion? (Heavyweight) Alistair Overeem – he hasn't defended the belt in like two years. It's Strike-farce. It's a little regional show with no one in it."

• Like 1

The fact that he even felt the need to address the situation the way he did gives them far more credit than he's intending to.

If something isn't a threat in any way, the best thing to do is just ignore it. But when you start calling them names and running them down, it becomes apparent that there's something there.

Honestly, I don't think Coker is trying to step on anyone's toes at all... but they've been targeted now, and Dana and the UFC have a very good track record of stealing away guys who could help propel a promotion, stealing away viewers, and just generally burying the competition.

Mousasi's manager (M-1) lied to him about a UFC offer and told him to sign a 40/40 deal with Strikeforce.

Well, the deal's been signed... so he may as well make the best of it. Gain a following in America with Strikeforce, and sign with the UFC after his contract expires. Clearly, it's where he wants to be, and it's pretty obvious Dana wants him there too.

EDIT: Alessio Sakara looks like Andrei Arlovski heading into UFC 101.

Edited by Gabriel

Strikeforce is done. Dana White will probably go into Vince McMahon mode, and buy anyone he can that's worth anything. Nevermind the fact that UFC is so entrenched as MMA in the US that, unless a truely singular talent, one who is as interesting outside the ring as inside, comes along, no one will really grab attention. EliteXC had a chance with Kimbo, but we all saw what happened there. The other guys that would be able to pull that off, in my opinion, are Tito Ortiz, if he has anything left, who wants back into UFC anyway, and Brock Lesnar.

I got a kick out of the Penn athletic commissioner calling out the fighters to bring their 'A' game because they are in Philly. I don't think he'll be disappointed, they have the cast for a killer show. There is at least one guy in just about every fight that can be counted on to bring it. Should be really fun tonight.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Cant wait for the show tonight, certainly the two main fights on the card. Am I actually the only person here who thinks Griffin is going to score a huge upset tonight? I've never doubted Silva, I think he's fantastic, but I just really see Griffin pulling off a shocker. I could be horribly wrong, but I'm really expecting something special from these two.

Cant wait for the show tonight, certainly the two main fights on the card. Am I actually the only person here who thinks Griffin is going to score a huge upset tonight? I've never doubted Silva, I think he's fantastic, but I just really see Griffin pulling off a shocker. I could be horribly wrong, but I'm really expecting something special from these two.

I picked Forrest to win in the EWB Prediction League. I think this is a very dangerous fight for Anderson Silva, no matter how well prepared he is, or what mindset he has coming in. Griffin can be defeated, but if Silva wants this win, he's going to have to take it, otherwise Forrest Griffin will end up with his hand raised, either by third round finish, or a decision.

On a side note, I'm calling Fight of the Night to be Amir Sadollah Vs Johny Hendricks.

The Nick Diaz/Jay Heiron fight may be off as Diaz missed his scheduled drug test today. The CSAC has agreed to test him on Monday but they won't be able to issue him a license to fight if the tests don't come back before the show.