MMA News and Discussion Thread

I like how you were all :angry: why didn't you just read 3 posts up! :angry: when someone posted the news you did, and you couldn't even look one post up. :lol:

:( Forgive me? ({)

Besides, it wasn't like our post weren't two minutes apart or anything. There was no way it could have been an issue of an open window and tabbing or anything of that nature. <_<

Edited by Gene Kiniski

I read that Paul Buentello is back too. Solid heavyweight depth.

Belfort vs. Franklin is a way more interesting. I'm a big Belfort fan, happy to see him get such a high profile fight. WE BACK!

Don't know much about LC Davis, but Vazquez is awesome, nice to see him in the big leagues.

UFC contracts: Paul Buentello, Paul Daley, Ben Rothwell, Chase Gormley, Dan Lauzon and Rafaello "Tractor" Oliveira

WEC contracts: Mark Hominick, L.C. Davis and Javier Vazquez

From Meltzer on the UFC 100 PPV Buys: the number we've heard from several sources now both inside and outside UFC is approximately 1.72 million buys.

Franklin/Belfort is at a catchweight of 195.

"Just found out I will be fighting Vitor at a catchweight of 195 (pounds) as per his request," Franklin today posted on his Twitter account.

Edited by Fitzy

Fedor signs for Strikeforce. Stolen from other sites as usual...

According to Mike Afromowitz of Strikeforce public relations, Fedor "The Last Emperor" Emelianenko has signed a historic, multi-fight agreement that will see him headline mega-events co-promoted by world championship promotions STRIKEFORCE and M-1 Global. Emelianenko will make his premium television debut this Fall when his first fight under the new agreement airs live on SHOWTIME. This was accomplished after a week of intense negotiations. Emelianenko had the following comments to share on the new deal…

"I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level. STRIKEFORCE is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world, I am prepared to fight any of them."

Strikeforce Founder and CEO Scott Coker had the following to say on the new deal…

"We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with M-1 Global and Fedor. Fedor has been the reigning king of MMA's heavyweight division for quite some time now so being able to work with M-1 and Fedor will substantially increase the level of competition amongst the athletes in this weight class."

Vadim Finkelchtein, President of M-1 Global is also pleased with the deal…

"I am very happy and excited about the upcoming collaboration with Strikeforce. We are very pleased that we found a reliable partner and I feel that Strikeforce and M-1 can support each other on many things. This will create big opportunities for both parties to test their fighters against worthy opponents."

Edited by ZJ Penn

This makes me want to put my face through a wall.

Strikeforce is a very reputable promotion, you could get a few respectable fights for Fedor there. Brett Rogers I assume is the money fight for them, possibly Overeem as well. But then who? Mike Kyle? Still seems completely possible he flies out to Japan and takes on Barnett, which is a horrible idea if you ask me. If Fedor himself is looking for exposure in North America, Strikeforce is not the place. It is still a distant second to the UFC and Fedor is still too much of an unknown in these parts to sell PPV's on hype alone. I can't believe that the exposure Fedor gained from Affliction met the standard his camp were hoping.

The whole thing has turned out to be Finkeldinkle looking out for his ideal deal with Fedor's services as the offer more than anything.

Good for Strikeforce, they win the prize. But if you are an MMA fan you have to feel like you just lost.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Why should Fedor have a tune up fight with Rogers and not go straight for the champ in Overeem? He would have fought Brock right away in the UFC and should fight Overeem in Strikeforce.

It's not about the title.

Fedor Vs Rogers is the money match-up for Strikeforce. Brett Rogers is clearly their Heavyweight of the future. So either you do it straight away, so that if he loses, you can market it as a building block in his career... or you let him keep piling up wins, give him Fedor in a year or two, and watch his stock plummet if he loses.

Personally, I would make that the first fight for Fedor, with the winner earning a title shot. That way, Rogers probably loses, but comes out of it fine because he's a young guy who still has a lot to learn. If he manages to impress in the fight, even better. If he somehow manages to win, then holy shit will they have a star on their hands. If he loses, which he probably will, you treat it like a Rocky film, build up his next few fights as Brett Rogers having taken what he's learned against Fedor and improved himself... and then eventually, when you think he's ready, you have the rematch... OR, more likely, Fedor will leave eventually, and Rogers will be ready at that point to step up and be the number one guy.

Having Fedor/Rogers right away is a win/win situation for everyone involved. Besides, Overeem's got Werdum in line right now, and I'd rather see Rogers/Fedor and Overeem/Werdum than Fedor/Overeem right now. Besides, it's not like we won't get that fight eventually. If Alistair keeps the title, and Fedor beats Rogers, then we would get Fedor/Overeem probably around January.

Overeem hasn't fought in 9 months, MMA at least. Earlier this year his hand was severely injured in a bar brawl. He says he'll fight in October, making it just under a year long lay off. Even if he is fully healed and ready to go, I'd say Fedor/Rogers is just as likely to happen as Fedor/Overeem, maybe more likely.

My guess would be Rogers/Fedor and Overeem takes a fight in Japan against a beatable opponent.

Having Fedor/Rogers right away is a win/win situation for everyone involved. Besides, Overeem's got Werdum in line right now, and I'd rather see Rogers/Fedor and Overeem/Werdum than Fedor/Overeem right now. Besides, it's not like we won't get that fight eventually. If Alistair keeps the title, and Fedor beats Rogers, then we would get Fedor/Overeem probably around January.

I don't think Overeem/Werdum have anything arranged since their fight was scrapped. Overeem expressed interest in rematching him in October for Strikeforce, which could happen, but I wouldn't surprised if he does what I said and takes a low risk warm up fight for DREAM then waits for the big fight against either Fedor or the man that slayed him in the new year.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

If that's the case, and Overeem doesn't fight for Strikeforce until he meets the winner of Fedor/Rogers... then I would expect that the previously mentioned fight would be for an Interim title, or if they're going to work with WAMMA, then the WAMMA Heavyweight belt.