MMA News and Discussion Thread

That would make sense normally, but Affliction the company didn't close, just stopped promoting fights. Or does that not matter? I figured it be something along the lines of how Zuffa holds most of the contracts although UFC is the promotes. Only in this case Affliction the company/clothing line held the contracts so if promoting halted then the company itself would still have the contracts since it is still alive and running. Or is it completely different?

Also, Tito coming back was a given. Only thing I must know is who will he face? Coleman?

Zuffa is strictly a fight promotion, furthermore I believe in the contracts it mentions UFC or WEC because when they folded the upper weight divisions of the WEC, iirc, they signed fresh contracts and let a host of others go. Affliction's contracts are not the same, Shawn Tompkins confirmed as much:

“They were all in contracts where they could fight elsewhere anyway, I believe, even Vitor (Belfort),” said Tompkins. “He can move freely. I’m not sure in which territories, but I know he can move freely.”

One source told Sherdog.com Friday that the clothing purveyors-turned-promoters are offering T-shirt deals to the ousted fighters to help offset their losses.

In much larger news than Affliction contracts:

White, however, hinted at plans for a major press conference on July 31.

“There are going to be a lot of crazy things,” White said. “I’m going to have a laundry list of things I’m going to mention.”

Iole said said Affliction had approached the UFC about merging the week before UFC 100.

This came after Iole reported a potential merger of sorts between Affliction and Strikeforce, which was brewing early in the week, even prior to Barnett's drug test failure, Iole said.

"Somehow that fell apart," Iole said. "I think it was because Scott Coker, the CEO of Strikeforce, was out of the country and the paperwork wasn't signed," Iole said.

"Right now, I'm not exactly sure how that fell apart, but at the last minute it crumbled, so it opened the door for the UFC."

Later in the day, Affliction came to terms on a deal in which it would quit promoting fight cards. However, the status of the fighter contracts belonging to Affliction is unknown.

They could revert to the UFC or they could become free agents, able to sign with the promoter of their choice.

BJ Penn benefits from this as Vitor Belfort is headed to Hawaii to train with him.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Tito Ortiz is the one MMA fighter I genuinely hate, so I'm not thrilled at all that he may be back. I love seeing GSP and BJ Penn get their asses kicked, but I'd be pulling for either of them if they stepped into the octagon against Crybaby McIceman'sBitch.

I don't mind Tito. Watching Machida beat him made me laugh however. But Tito is one of the biggest reasons the UFC is still around today and for all the crap he takes from some people, I value him much more than Chuck. Obviously Chuck is the better fighter, taking care of many of Tito's challengers and beating Tito twice proves that, but he was far more valuable to the growth of MMA and the UFC in the states.

Also, the majority of Chuck fans (not saying anyone here per say, but a lot that I watched fights with in the past) who had just got into MMA only cheered for him because of the Mohawk and KO's. They totally neglect the fact that Chuck's title reign was a combination of a weak flow of challengers. Again, not his fault. Babalu and Jeremy Horn are hardly top flight fighters to be challenging Chuck for that title. When Rampage got the shot I was so happy because I knew the reign was over and wanted to see their faces when Chuck got out classed again. And when I called Rashad's 2nd round victory I was even more happy. Which makes me feel slightly bad as I don't dislike Chuck at all, classy guy, great ambassador. I guess it just comes down to a lot of the new fans who blindly go with someone because of a few KO's, the highlights that the UFC shows, and because of how he looks and then all you hear is, "That Chuck Liddell is so awesome. He's going to KO everyone." And then I proceed to invision my head under a tire to avoid hearing such things.

Back to Tito. He's still a solid fighter. Machida contolled their fight, but Tito almost locked in a triangle and at least threatened Lyoto which no one else has. He still brings his name value back to the promotion which can help put over some younger talent, and a possible rematch with Forrest down the line. If he is truly 100% coming off his surgery, I do expect him to pick up a win or two because even Tito haters can't debate that his shot was very poor down the stretch and not how it was in the past. He offers some intriguing match-ups back in the UFC which I'm all for. He can play the role of 205 title gatekeeper for a year or two.

I love seeing GSP and BJ Penn get their asses kicked

May I ask why? BJ I can understand, even though I enjoy him. He gets a bit cocky and does tend to use an excuse here and there (although loss to Matt Hughes was a very viable reason and fight would have been very different). By GSP is absolutely one of the nicest guys, most humble, and the most complete fighter in MMA. Unless you hate the fact he is in fact humble and want him to talk smack? Then again it could be like my Chuck thing where you hear so much about him you want him to lose, but GSP is extremely hard to at least not give a small clap for.

By no means was I calling Tito a bad fighter or anything or disregarding what he's done for UFC in all honesty. I just hate him, it's that simple really. That's not a bad thing though, because I'd honestly buy a terribly boring card with him on it just in chance of seeing him get beaten to a pulp, because he's the ultimate heel if you ask me. Not the awesome type heel either, just a serious guy you hope is going to get battered. The only reason I'm not too fond of him being back is if he actually wins, because I really struggle to watch him winning. I don't take nothing away from the talent of the guy though, even if I don't rate him that highly, he's clearly been an important figure.

Although I'm with Ghost on the GSP hatred. I think mine stems from when he finally beat Hughes, because I was a huge Hughes fan and didn't want to see him lose. Ever since then, I've hated GSP. Cant ever deny the guys talent, but I've also detested his entire run with the title. I just feel like he's nowhere near as entertaining as he was when he was chasing the title. That's not said towards him in a bad way, because he's got all the talent in the world, but I'll ALWAYS cheer anybody that goes up against him.

Hughes was an overrated hick and GSP put him in his place. It was awesome to watch. :P

Guess that's an opinion really. Although I wasn't trying to claim Hughes was fantastic, just I was and still am a big fan of his, whether he's great any more or not. I was gutted when GSP beat him, the opposite of awesome to watch. I preferred Serra knocking out GSP, now THAT was awesome to watch :w00t: (even if it only lasted for a little while)

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

I can't really explain why I dislike GSP, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with his personality.....unlike BJ Penn and Tito.

And I am a Matt Hughes fan, but I haven't seen that fight. I guess he's just one of those fighters I prefer to see in a title hunt instead of wearing one.

As for Tito, I hate seeing fighters get hurt beyond the usual bleeding that inevitably happens. But if I was told I had to pick a fighter to send in the ring against an opponent guaranteed to send his opponent out on a stretcher to the ER, I wouldn't have to think about it long, as he'd be my pick. Tito is a douchebag.

Sobral Vs Mousasi has been added to the Strikeforce card on the 15th. It will be for Babalu's Light Heavyweight Title. This will be Mousasi's first real exposure in the States, and it should be a very good showcase for him. I fully expect him to walk out as Champion.

That makes 3 title matches so far. Carano/Cyborg and Thomson/Melendez are still on.

Jay Hieron has been tapped as a potential replacement for Joe Riggs against Nick Diaz for the Welterweight Title, but nothing's been announced yet, and Phil Baroni's name has also been thrown around a bit.

Also, Fabricio Werdum looks likely to still be competing. Whether it will be for an Interim Heavyweight Title or not is unclear, but Brett Rogers is good to go, and Alistair Overeem has pulled out of two Championship defenses in the last three months. Injured or not, it doesn't look good on his record, especially when he hurt himself initially by being an asshole and getting into a fight. That IS what happened, right?

So there are potentially five Championship matches on the 15th for Strikeforce, and don't count out the idea of them adding more Affliction fighters/planned fights to the card.

NSAC are considering five rounds for non-title fights. I, for one, don't like this news. We'll get less fights on PPV cards now, and I have not seen any huge problems with three rounds fights.

Five rounds at three minutes a round, I wouldn't have an issue with. It would make the 10 Point Must System more effective... BUT, five rounds at five minutes a round is too much. How many times have we seen fights go the distance, with the two fighters running on fumes before the bell for the third round? It would increase stalling tactics too much, and there's nothing wrong with the current system.

So basically, we could end up paying $50 for 3 fights, if they all go the distance. I don't like it. It seems like a ripoff. If a fight can't be settled in three rounds, then it should probably be stopped anyways and given a decision. The only exception to that are superfights and title fights, because those guys are the best in the world, and if they go the distance, is more likely to be that neither man has a weakness large enough to take advantage of... rather than a case of neither man being able to do much.

Double post because I can't get the whole thread to load for me to edit <_<

Just read the whole thing:

2. A championship contest of mixed martial arts or any other mixed martial arts contest or exhibition which the Commission considers to be a special event must [be] not exceed five rounds in duration.

So I think this is going to cover those UFC main events like Rich vs. Dan, Couture vs. Nog, and etc. down the line IF this passes and IF other states adopt this - which would be likely.

Hey look, another Strikeforce title fight might be off.

Thomson today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he wasn't able to fully train for the unification bout, and additional sources close to the contest have indicated the organization is actively seeking a replacement for "The Punk."