MMA News and Discussion Thread

Seems a bit nasty to pull a fighter who is contracted to fight because they lose another fight. Plus surely he'll have to pay out the contract eventually. Was reading about the theory of accumulative knock outs the other day and it makes you wonder, Arlovski, Sylvia and Lidell are being knocked out left right and centre. It makes you wonder if it isn't true that each knockout makes the next one easier to achieve. But if it's the case why doesn't it work like that for everyone? Or is it a case that once they are knocked out they no longer fear it so feel safe fighting more reckless?

Each KO is different. Liddell got KO'd by Rampage, Rashad, and then Shogun. Only Rashad was a big time KO. Against Wandy he took some good shots and didn't go down. And if you look at the Rampage/Rashad KO's they were flat on the button. It's more about where than how you get hit, although some people just have more of a chance to be KO'd (AA). Just like Wanderlei's KO's were on the button against Hendo and Rampage. You can say they have weak chins or are becoming more likely to get KO'd... but those shots were on the button and anyone would have gone night-night.

And to be fair, Sylvia isn't getting KO'd left right and center... this is his first stoppage by strikes. His 6 previous losses were by submission and decision (4-2). He has gotten rocked against Couture, Fedor, and then KO'd by Mercer though.

And in Affliction's defense one reason Atencio gave for pulling him was because he had just been KO'd and the fight is in less than 60 days. So it seemed more a fighter health issue than him losing.

I guess, I was also thinking of him being rocked by Arlovski as well. You're right though he doesn't normally stay down, whereas in my head I'd turned them into the end of the fight. If it's to protect his health good on Affliction for pulling him, it only worried me when I saw it as a punishment. Then again if I was throwing around the sort of money they are, I'd be fucked if one of my bigger names who is earning plenty was taking fights in other orgs, boxing perhaps is fair enough but I wouldn't be happy with them fighting MMA.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Seems a bit nasty to pull a fighter who is contracted to fight because they lose another fight. Plus surely he'll have to pay out the contract eventually. Was reading about the theory of accumulative knock outs the other day and it makes you wonder, Arlovski, Sylvia and Lidell are being knocked out left, right and centre. Is it possible that each knockout makes the next one easier to achieve? But if it's the case why doesn't it work like that for everyone? Or is it a case that once they are knocked out they no longer fear it so feel safe fighting more reckless?

I also wonder if anyone else is latently racist/biased, if I am watching a fight between fighters of different nationalities/races/colours/looks I will often hope for a victory based on this and nothing more. I guess you need to find something to separate the fighters, but I feel bad that I can resort to the colour of their skin (before anyone does their top Brazilian's are the only minority I usually go against if they are unknown, I typically cheer for the minority).

Like porchmonkey said, I'll cheer for a Canadian under any circumstances. That's sort of the same thing, although not quite as bad. Beyond that, generally I only cheer for minorities if they're against someone I dislike. :shifty:

Yeah Tim Sylvia pulled due to the medical suspension but i don't think it would have affected Affliction too much for their card some decent fights like Mousasi/Sobral, Belfort/Santiago, Daley/Hieron and of course the Fedor/Barnett. Can't see them lasting much longer though reckon this will be the last card or 2nd to last.

I wonder what other fights will end up being on the TUF Final as i was looking forward to the Johnson/Brown fight then it got pulled and now Markham/Grant not going to happen.

Also really looking forward to UFC 102 looking at the card really strong main card and some good looking prelims as well such as Leben/Roshalt, Gonzaga fight and Junior Dos Santos

Just came across this on Youtube and hadn't seen it for ages, easily the greatest thing Mauro Ranallo has ever been involved in...

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Keith Kizer, NSAC director, says that instant replay to determine if a foul like an illegal eye poke caused the fight to stop but was not detected (like Cro Cop to Al-Turk or Burns to Johnson), could be in place by the end of this year. He states that it won't be used to determine if a knockdown was really a knockdown or if it was a slip and it won't be used in between rounds. There won't be any stopping the fight to look at a replay. It will only be used in cases like the two fights above where it was clearly an eye poke that lead to the fight being stopped.

"It would only be those situations where there's an immediate stoppage of the fight and the ref wants to know was it an illegal blow, an intentional foul or an accidental foul that immediately stopped the fight. Then it would still be [the referee's] discretion. It wouldn't be up to the commission. It wouldn't be the corner. It wouldn't be the promoter. It would be the referee's decision, just like in football. If he looks at it and he can't tell, you've got to go with the original call."

Full article here.

That's a positive change and will be helpful. Although the fact that Burns/Johnson wasn't overturned when it was appealed (it was iirc) still baffles me. But I can see why the al-Turk call wasn't over turned, and it is leading to a positive change, and thankfully they have made sure to let people know that it won't be used for anything else.

TUF 9 Final:

Awesome Main Event, reminded me why I love Diego so much. Fantastic first round, Diego came out like a complete beast and fuck knows how Guida took all of that. Got to say though, LOL to the judge who scored it 29-28 to Guida, no chance. Personally I cant wait to see Diego/Penn or Diego/Florian, should be fantastic.

I can honestly say that Sanchez vs Guida is up there as one of my top 5 favorite fights ever.

I am a huge fan of both guys, and dear GOD did they deliver. I'm not surprised Sanchez got the win given how he dominated the first round.

I would assume Sanchez' next fight will be for the belt. I mean, I don't see where else he can go right now OTHER than a title shot immediately.

I can honestly say that Sanchez vs Guida is up there as one of my top 5 favorite fights ever.

I am a huge fan of both guys, and dear GOD did they deliver. I'm not surprised Sanchez got the win given how he dominated the first round.

I would assume Sanchez' next fight will be for the belt. I mean, I don't see where else he can go right now OTHER than a title shot immediately.

It seems all but confirmed that he'll be taking on the winner of Penn/Florian. Personally I'd love either, but it seems a rematch of Diego/Florian could really be fantastic.

In no way, shape, or form should it be Frank Edgar vs. Diego Sanchez. If you really want Diego to fight someone for the chance it has to be Gray Maynard. He's undefeated and absolutely dominated Edgar like he was nothing in their fight. However, I don't view Gray, Frankie, Sherk, Tyson as legit title threats - so while I'm not a big Diego fan, he should get the shot right now.

And I'm still trying to see where people thought Clay won the fight last night. He did next to nothing. He had a couple solid takedowns and stopped Diego's sub attempts - that's it. Nothing else.

In no way, shape, or form should it be Frank Edgar vs. Diego Sanchez. If you really want Diego to fight someone for the chance it has to be Gray Maynard. He's undefeated and absolutely dominated Edgar like he was nothing in their fight. However, I don't view Gray, Frankie, Sherk, Tyson as legit title threats - so while I'm not a big Diego fan, he should get the shot right now.

And I'm still trying to see where people thought Clay won the fight last night. He did next to nothing. He had a couple solid takedowns and stopped Diego's sub attempts - that's it. Nothing else.

Echo that. I was shocked one of the judges scored it in favour of Guida. I mean even when he was on top of Sanchez, Diego still looked more dangerous than Guida did, some sick elbows from the bottom.

Personally I feel Diego deserves the shot and last night once again proved it. Anyone not named Guida would have seemingly been out cold in that first round after that battering, just seems Guida is a beast and has a super chin, so props to him for that.