MMA News and Discussion Thread

If Kimbo can bring the black fanbase to the UFC, I'm sure Dana will keep him around for quite a while as that is the major ethnic group that the UFC have been unable to break into despite having a number of big stars of that ethnicity. Given the rate that the talent level has dropped off as the seasons have gone by, I don't think Kimbo will be the worst guy on the show and he will be one of the people with the most experience and finishing power, so he could come out of the whole thing looking like a good prospect.

My major problem with the Kimbo deal is that he just recently said he was going to train for boxing and switch because training for MMA was "too hard".

It would seem to me that this was probably a way to keep it secret he would join TUF10.

If Kimbo can bring the black fanbase to the UFC, I'm sure Dana will keep him around for quite a while as that is the major ethnic group that the UFC have been unable to break into despite having a number of big stars of that ethnicity. Given the rate that the talent level has dropped off as the seasons have gone by, I don't think Kimbo will be the worst guy on the show and he will be one of the people with the most experience and finishing power, so he could come out of the whole thing looking like a good prospect.

That's a good point, but then I suppose they're going to have to really work hard to not screw him up if he comes out of TUF a viable prospect.

They keep feeding him cans, his fans will lap it up but no one will else will take the sideshow attraction seriously.

He goes down again to a jab against someone he's fully expected to beat, is his reputation ruined and can the UFC keep the fan base he brought in even if - once again - Kimbo is seen to be unworthy.

Then there's the question of how he'll act and endear himself to people on the show, he may draw ratings as Kimbo, he may draw more ratings at the fact everyone in that house will probably want to have their moment before they even make the UFC by knocking him out, and even more ratings if he's a total cunt. But in the long run it may not work out for him, I think Dana and the UFC are going to have to manage him perfectly and hope for some breaks. It's the way it is in MMA, one punch can not only end a match, but it can do so much more damage. Elite XC was essentially living off the coat-tails of Kimbo, as much as Lawler vs. Smith was a great match, people wanted to see this world famous street fighter beat people up. 14 seconds into his 4th match and the novelty was gone, and EXC went with it.

Plus it's different to Lesnar who got a truly well respected fighter in Mir, and was never really bigged up like Kimbo was. There was more an auroa of "will he be a match, won't he be a match?" with Lesnar than there was "kill him/be killed" divided with Kimbo. So I think if Kimbo was done like Lesnar was in his first official UFC match or whatever (if he ever makes it) then I reckon it'll be harded for him to bounce back than Lesnar has. Not to mentioned Lesnar's wrestling back ground give him some legitimacy than manhandling people in a street/garden/where ever.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Again, Ace, I think the idea is to use Kimbo to get the mostly-black eyeballs to UFC (TUF and maybe a Fight Night or two), and once they're there, show them a couple other charismatic black fighters they can leap over to once Kimbo loses his lustre.

At least that's how I'd do it.

Indeed MPH and this is the perfect season to use him in as the two coaches are black and will both appeal to different sorts of black people, you have the College educated, well spoken guy in Rashad Evans and you have the bad ass thug in Rampage Jackson. So this could really be a big breaking season for the UFC into that demographic.

So in the WEC blog today after talking about Kimbo, Dana says that him and Lorenzo are close to reaching a deal that will change 'the UFC and mixed martial arts'. Lots of speculation as to what this is, couple of people saying Fedor. So I'm digging up that dead horse to beat some more. Do you think it's possible?

I see no reason why the 'Kimbo Slice Fan Base' wouldn't fall in love with Rampage, who is WAY more awesome than Kimbo could ever hope to be.

I also don't think that Kimbo is going to bring in the kind of black fanbase some of you think.

I agree here. I was still in high school when Kimbo's videos first started surfacing and taking off and to be honest most of the people that were getting exciting and hyping the videos were white teenage male fan base. In my time I have come across majority of Kimbo's fans to be the younger, less "MMA-educated" (very condescending, but I can not think of a good term) 'fans' who are more interested in that aspect of "omg, it's a fight!" instead of viewing MMA. In my general area I have noticed that most of the Kimbo fans since his switch to MMA have still been that demographic for the most part, still interested in the same general idea of "omg, a Kimbo fight just in cage". Not sure how well he is perceived by other demographics around the world, but on the East Coast (mainly Virginia, Maryland, the Carolina's) where I have been around I have met more 'black non-fans' than 'black fans' of Kimbo.

The fight for mixed-martial-arts regulation in the potentially lucrative New York market cleared a major hurdle today.

The New York State Assembly's Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports today garnered a favorable vote for Bill 2009-B, which would call for the New York State Athletic Commission to regulate MMA.

MMAjunkie.com medical columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin, whose helped state politicians form arguments in favor of the sports and its safety, today confirmed the vote passed with a 14-6 margin.

Eleven votes were needed to pass the bill beyond the committee.

"We've cleared a huge hurdle in getting it [past] our committee," Michael Kim, assistant to New York Assemblyman (and bill supporter) Steven Englebright, stated in an email. "Until today, we had never gotten it [past] our committee."

However, before it heads to the Assembly floor, the bill must first clear New York's Codes and the Ways and Means committees, which will inspect the legal and financial details of the bill.

The biggest hurdle, though, was getting the bill out of the Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports. Although MMA's most prominent MMA organization, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, entered the fight with a massive public-awareness campaign, the bill faced heavy opposition, most notably from Assemblyman Bob Reilly.

The UFC has long desired to hold an event in New York, which lasted hosted a UFC event in 1995, when "UFC 7: The Brawl in Buffalo" took place in front of 9,000 spectators at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. The state would ban MMA two years later.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Forget if it was here or elsewhere that it came up, but Kenny Florian will be doing color commentary at this weekend's WEC show.

The next Affliction show will have, in addition to Fedor/Barnett, Tim Sylvia vs. Paul Buentello, a Ben Rothwell match, and perhaps Gegard Mousasi vs. Babalu.

Strikeforce spoilers

Nick Diaz looked awesome out there. Great performance by him. I really enjoyed that fight. Scott Smith should take Diaz up on that offer, he could be that much better with a camp like that.

Rogers knocking out Arlovski was great. Also, does Arlovski still want to try boxing after these last two fights showed he has no chin at all?

And Shields taping Lawler out? I didn't expect that at all, but it was nice. I wouldn't mind a rematch. Biggz mentioned in another topic that the two catchweight winners could possibly meet for an interim middleweight title shot. I doubt we'll be seeing Diaz vs. Shields though. So it'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Good night of fights all around. Very enjoyable show.

Next Strikefroce show is August 15 and has Gina Carano vs. Cristine Santos and Josh Thomson defends the lightweight title in a rematch vs. Gilbert Melendez and Alistair Overeem defends the heavyweight title.

Edited by Fitzy