MMA News and Discussion Thread

I think Schilt is far less likely than Overeem to be signed, but it's a possibility definitely. Schilt can give anyone major problems just due to his awkward size and push kicks. It'd be cool to see him in the Octagon after like what, nearly 10 years?

I really don't see Schilt coming into UFC. The biggest draw I feel for all parties is the chance for Overeem-Liddell II, with Alistair hoping to avenge his loss in PRIDE.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Observer notes to come, but here's something:

With the exception of Honolulu, it appears the strongest per capita markets were all Canadian, including Waterloo, Halifax, Toronto, Burlington, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Hamilton and Winnipeg and Saskatoon.

I don't know what amazes me more, that we qualify as a market or that this implies we were the #2 market.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And here are the notes:

-UFC 100, on July 11, looks to be another triple main event with GSP/Alves, Bisping/Hendo, and Rashad vs. either Machida or Rampage.

-Other cut fighters include Derek Downey, Nate Mohr (:(), Reese Andy, and Matt Arroyo. More cuts to come.

-In Japan, Gegard Mousasi is talking about moving up to light heavyweight

-KJ Noons turned down the fight with Josh Thomson because he wants to concentrate on boxing. Caol Uno has been suggested as another opponent for Thomson.

-Jake Shields vs. Joe Riggs will take place on the 4/11 Strikeforce show (this card's packed for a Showtime special, isn't it?)

-Affliction is starting to contact fighters about a third PPV

Observer notes to come, but here's something:

With the exception of Honolulu, it appears the strongest per capita markets were all Canadian, including Waterloo, Halifax, Toronto, Burlington, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Hamilton and Winnipeg and Saskatoon.

I don't know what amazes me more, that we qualify as a market or that this implies we were the #2 market.

CANADA :D CANADA :D

:shifty:

I have no problems with those three fights being on UFC 100 all could be good fights.

Well I guess Caol Uno is not going to happen either. Apparently they contacted Jorge Gurgel, too. That would've been a good fight. But he is injured, so he is off as well.

Has Meltzer mentioned anything about the title situation? It's been a couple of weeks since the announcement was supposed to be made but nothing has been said yet. I am assuming they'll just abandon the titles and create their own at this point.

I read that Din Thomas is moving to 145. I wonder if they'll bring him into WEC eventually.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The Strikeforce/EXC titles?

Strikeforce already has middleweight (Cung Le) and lightweight (Josh Thomson) champs, they're planning on creating new titles for the other weight classes (i.e. although Shields was EXC WW champ, he won't be Strikeforce WW champ necessarily, the Riggs fight is non-title).

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's not a Fight Night, it's a full-fledged UFC.

And to answer the actual question, it's his opponent more than him. I can't even remember the guy's name at the moment. Plus he's lost to GSP and Alves, so it's not like he has good reasons for matches at the top of the division anytime soon.

Fedor is requesting a meeting with Dana White for June to discuss a Lesnar fight.

Random question: Why is Koscheck still 'midcarding' Fight Nights?

Because his original opponent backed out. he was going to co-main event and fight Karo but it fell through.

Fedor is requesting a meeting with Dana White for June to discuss a Lesnar fight.

Random question: Why is Koscheck still 'midcarding' Fight Nights?

Because his original opponent backed out. he was going to co-main event and fight Karo but it fell through.

Shit, that would have been a good fight as well.

Meltzer says there is a major UFC fight confirmed but it is members only. What is it?

- Manny Gamburyan moves to WEC to fight at 145. Probably the right move for him. He just wasn't going to be any threat in 155.

- Wanderlei Silva vs. Rich Franklin will be a catchweight of 195.

- Mendez also released a list of female talent acquired in the purchase of ProElite assets.

-Sarah Kaufman

-Shayna Baszler

-Debi Purcell

-Jan Finney

-Melanie Lacroix

-Katrina Alendal

Conspicuously missing was Kaitlin Young, the Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts prospect, who was defeated by Carano in a controversial stoppage at EliteXC’s first CBS televised event. Mendez said Strikeforce opted not to acquire Young out of a desire to develop lesser-seen fighters.

“We want to build up new talent,” he said.

- Gina Carano will be on the May Strikeforce event.

- Robbie Lawler will also be on this event and a possible fight between Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and Renato Sobral could take place.

And for UKers it's on Setanta 1 live at 8pm-11pm and not repeated until Tuesday at 9pm-midnight on Setanta 1 as well. And then Wednesday at 7pm-10pm on Setanta 2. I'll usually watch if I remember it's on and I'm doing nothing else but I'm out tomorrow night, so if I'm in on Tuesday night and something's worth catching then I'll watch it then.

And for UKers it's on Setanta 1 live at 8pm-11pm and not repeated until Tuesday at 9pm-midnight on Setanta 1 as well. And then Wednesday at 7pm-10pm on Setanta 2. I'll usually watch if I remember it's on and I'm doing nothing else but I'm out tomorrow night, so if I'm in on Tuesday night and something's worth catching then I'll watch it then.

Are you sure? That's a little early? They usually start at 3am, how come this is so early?

I'll try and watch mainly for Sanchez/Stevenson because I love them both. I'll root for Sanchez, yet I think Stevenson will win it to be honest. Also really hoping Koscheck gets knocked out, although I highly doubt it. Honestly don't know anything about Paulo Thiago, good fighter? I cant stand Koscheck, detest the guy.

Edit: Forget the top bit, just realised it's in London which is why it's earlier (Y)

Edited by Dirty Johnny 27